Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

When to rebuild an engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2015, 12:38 AM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to rebuild an engine.....

Hi guys

I've got a 2002 Bugeye STi Type UK which has recently hit 90,300 miles or so and I just wondered is there a right time to look at rebuilding? The engine (so far) is sweet as a nut and regularly looked after by the awesome Rich @ Zen Performance, it really does get pampered, but what is the concensus here?

I'd like to upgrade to 400bhp in the next few months with supporting mods and then maybe up to 500bhp within a year, money is not really an issue but the car is running so nice now that it seems like the logical thing to do is remap and upgrades to 400 then a rebuild is necessary for 500bhp anyway.

What do you think?

Thanks

Last edited by JDM_333; 07 February 2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07 February 2015, 07:48 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you can't run 400 or 500 on a standard engine anyway, so you will need to rebuild with forged stuff.

Budget 4+k for a proper 500 capable engine
Old 07 February 2015, 07:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Well you can't run 400 or 500 on a standard engine anyway, so you will need to rebuild with forged stuff.

Sorry mate but I think you'll find that your wrong.

Bug STI has one of the strongest standard engines, and will do 400bhp all day long, 500 might be pushing it slightly dependant on use, but I'd say you'd probably get away with high 400's if your not ragging the **** off it for prolonged periods on track.

If it aint broke don't fix it. I would however source a CDB and start planing a 2.1 stroker if you want a reliable 500+
Old 07 February 2015, 08:16 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Sorry mate but I think you'll find that your wrong.

Bug STI has one of the strongest standard engines, and will do 400bhp all day long, 500 might be pushing it slightly dependant on use, but I'd say you'd probably get away with high 400's if your not ragging the **** off it for prolonged periods on track.

If it aint broke don't fix it. I would however source a CDB and start planing a 2.1 stroker if you want a reliable 500+
I thought it was the blobs with engines that will take 400+?

Either way, a stock engine will not last if you drive it properly at those kind of powers, trust me, Ive just killed my 2.1 Stroker....
Old 07 February 2015, 08:19 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

And it only seems to be the JDM bugeye with the good (forged) engine just from a quick google?

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 07 February 2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07 February 2015, 08:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

And it only seems to be the JDM bugeye with the good (forged) engine just from a quick google?
V7 (even though it's not really) from everything I've read on here over the years is stronger than blobs, I think it's the pistons but not 100%, I also but don't quote me, think it was the same engine in the jap cars as it was pre-twin scroll, then they changed on the blobs.

Someone with more factual knowledge will be along to confirm shortly, but I do know "Historically" on here at least that the V7 is plenty strong enough to run high 400's but like I said it depends how hard a life your going to be giving it. As you know even well built forged engines have a limited life span when you drive them like you do.
Old 07 February 2015, 08:41 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

Basically this ^^^
Old 07 February 2015, 08:41 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Yet again you don't know what you're talking about

Seriously fella, research before posting hey
Old 07 February 2015, 08:44 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I filled up behind you at tesco kettering a few weeks back,lovely looking bug
Old 07 February 2015, 08:44 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Yet again you don't know what you're talking about

Seriously fella, research before posting hey
Seriously fella, why dont you try driving a car at that power level how it is meant to be driven and see how it ends up for ya

If you read my further posts, I checked it, and yes it may be alright for 400, and from what I can see only the JDM bugs got the forged pistons.... If you had a car at that kind of power and drove it like its supposed to be driven you would find out that it wont last long at all

EDIT - Nice to see you are contributing in a helpful way to the thread....

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 07 February 2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07 February 2015, 09:21 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Seriously fella, why dont you try driving a car at that power level how it is meant to be driven and see how it ends up for ya

If you read my further posts, I checked it, and yes it may be alright for 400, and from what I can see only the JDM bugs got the forged pistons.... If you had a car at that kind of power and drove it like its supposed to be driven you would find out that it wont last long at all

EDIT - Nice to see you are contributing in a helpful way to the thread....
I have owned one with over 400 on a standard motor. Driven properly both on road and strip, lasted fine for 2 years in my hands.
I then sold it, the new owner uses it on strip and track and it's been fine for 2 years with him. He's now increasing the power infact.

I'm pals with the OP, he knows my thoughts....

Giving poor information is also not contributing in a helpful way which you appear to do quite often.
Unless you know for sure what you are talking about its best to read rather than post. Buying an already built big power car doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 07 February 2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07 February 2015, 09:25 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I have owned one with over 400 on a standard motor. Driven properly both on road and strip, lasted fine for 2 years in my hands.
I then sold it, the new owner uses it on strip and track and it's been fine for 2 years with him. He's now increasing the power infact.

I'm pals with the OP, he knows my thoughts....

Given poor information is also not contributing in a helpful way which you appear to do quite often.
Ah yes, because you are an expert.....

In my opinion it is foolish to put a standard block through that kind of abuse if you use it properly. Regardless of how many people "have done it", doesnt make it right. So in your newage did you run AL and LC and flat foot shifting etc?

It will want a forgd engine, its a 90k+ bugeye at the end of the day, it will be luck if it survives 500hp rather than judgement.

EDIT - Buying an already built big power car has nothing to do with knowing what you are talking about.... That is one of the most (of many) retarded comments you have come out with. Buying it ready built was far more sensible than building it myself, saved me a fortune and meant I can improve on it where required.

Wind your neck in.

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 07 February 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07 February 2015, 09:46 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

The bug sti uk/jdm and early uk blobs had pukka forged pistons and will take 400+ with ease. The later uk/jdm blobs had the hypereutectic cast pistons which will still do 400 bhp but are less resistant to det. The hypereutectic are 'brittle' as they have a higher silicon content.
Old 07 February 2015, 09:48 AM
mtb_ed
Scooby Regular

Put you **** away, he asked a simple question!

Olly Clark runs a V7 standard bottom end in he practice car @ 450bhp. Never let him down and that's tracked and abused. They have the Hypercast Pistons (The best Subaru made) and forged lower down.

Surely the best advice is don't spend anymore money on your current engine. Speak to your already employed mechanic Zen and ask him which block etc to use on a safe 500+ build. Spend your money on the new build, turbo, fuel system and convert over. Then Grin!
Old 07 February 2015, 12:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

So I was right then.
Old 07 February 2015, 01:02 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Ah yes, because you are an expert.....

In my opinion it is foolish to put a standard block through that kind of abuse if you use it properly. Regardless of how many people "have done it", doesnt make it right. So in your newage did you run AL and LC and flat foot shifting etc?

It will want a forgd engine, its a 90k+ bugeye at the end of the day, it will be luck if it survives 500hp rather than judgement.

EDIT - Buying an already built big power car has nothing to do with knowing what you are talking about.... That is one of the most (of many) retarded comments you have come out with. Buying it ready built was far more sensible than building it myself, saved me a fortune and meant I can improve on it where required.

Wind your neck in.

No I'm far from an expert chap, but I do know a newage sti engine is quite comfortable at 400bhp. Especially one that is cared for by an enthusiast
500, well even I wouldn't suggest pushing one to that number but it has been done on many occasions.

My car was a classic with a standard blob sti short motor. Car used motec so had both launch and lag enabled. Didn't have flat foot shifting and I probably didn't drive it quite as hard as you appear to.

I don't have a problem with you personally but you often post comments without really knowing what you are talking about. This is far from helpful I feel
And when someone corrects your comment you don't take it well and then continue to argue your case.

Please point me in the direction of my "retarded" comments as I find that quite amusing coming from you fella.
Don't get me started on some of your posts

I see you have now killed your 2.1 engine so guessing the idea of saving a fortune didn't quite go to plan then. Was it an old build fella ?

Last edited by MattyB1983; 07 February 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07 February 2015, 01:52 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

No I'm far from an expert chap, but I do know a newage sti engine is quite comfortable at 400bhp. Especially one that is cared for by an enthusiast
500, well even I wouldn't suggest pushing one to that number but it has been done on many occasions.

My car was a classic with a standard blob sti short motor. Car used motec so had both launch and lag enabled. Didn't have flat foot shifting and I probably didn't drive it quite as hard as you appear to.

I don't have a problem with you personally but you often post comments without really knowing what you are talking about. This is far from helpful I feel
And when someone corrects your comment you don't take it well and then continue to argue your case.

Please point me in the direction of my "retarded" comments as I find that quite amusing coming from you fella.
Don't get me started on some of your posts

I see you have now killed your 2.1 engine so guessing the idea of saving a fortune didn't quite go to plan then. Was it an old build fella ?
LOL. Yes I have still saved a fortune as what I paid for the car was pennies....

I am not defending anything other than the fact that pushing a 90k engine to the extremes is not a good idea....
Old 07 February 2015, 01:59 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I am not defending anything other than the fact that pushing a 90k engine to the extremes is not a good idea....
I totally agree there fella, however I don't think 400bhp is anywhere near extreme for a cared for 90k mile newage sti
Old 07 February 2015, 04:58 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I totally agree there fella, however I don't think 400bhp is anywhere near extreme for a cared for 90k mile newage sti
Lets just hope you're right!

Having seen first hand what can happen on well cared for engines when pushed it is quite scary to think what will happen if you do it on a not so well cared for example!

I thought my open deck block would be the first thing to let go.... But alas, it turns out pistons and wrist pins are weaker!
Old 07 February 2015, 05:14 PM
Bob99
Scooby Regular

Well I have a 2003 blob, wrx sti type uk and at 93k I pushed the standard engine up to 401 bhp about 4 years ago and it is now on 169k and still running on a top mount. It is a daily drive, competes in sprints and hill climbs as well as track days and testing days and it has never missed a beat. Last dyno showed it still running at 389 bhp.
Old 07 February 2015, 05:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

169k Get in.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:31 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Owned my bug STi from new, still on standard engine with bolt on bits and giving 440bhp at 110k miles. As long as they are looked after, allowed to warm up and cool down after a hard run they are nearly bullet proof.