Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL - Boost,MAFless, Antilag and Launch control tutorial

Old 11 January 2015, 01:49 AM
alter_
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESL - Boost,MAFless, Antilag and Launch control tutorial

Anyone out there willing to put together a tutorial for these 4 things? I figured the mafless option is not too tough but just a more newb walk through. Same goes with boost, antilag and launch control. I'm extremely new to all this and I just need a push to get me started in the right direction.

I was able to do all the soldering and get everything hooked up but all the options in the interface are rather foreign to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I did read the manual but again I lack the knowledge of the supporting information requirements.
Old 12 January 2015, 02:38 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I would suggest have look on forums like Nasioc or Romraider where guys can help you with yours questions

Not sure if ESL can supply or help you with some sort of base map which will be good starting point or someone from here can help you with base map at least

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 12 January 2015, 04:45 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

as Jura says there, hop on over to http://www.romraider.com/forum/ for some tips on mapping your car but I don't know if there would be many using ESL there (mostly people will be running the opensource software on a newage car).
Old 13 January 2015, 11:06 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

A good rule of thumb is that if you are struggling to understand the manual, you might want to call in some help. ESL probably has more documentation than most systems for DIYers.

www.enduringsolutions.com/Manual.pdf
www.enduringsolutions.com/Motorsport.pdf
http://www.enduringsolutions.com/cat...cal-documents/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJAUA_F89s

The motorsports stuff comes with a functional basemap so you should have something that works out of the box. Change one thing at a time, log, and feedback on the results.
Old 13 January 2015, 11:48 PM
alter_
Scooby Newbie

Yeah that is why I was looking for some tutorials. I noticed with the anti lag you require a switch. Where do you wire in the switch? The map also requires some modifying which is documented.

Basically how do you enable or disable the antilag and launch control. will you always need a laptop in the car? Does it disengage automatically? Again sorry if i'm new, i'm trying to get a better understanding of all of it really.

For instance for scaling the maf. I notice there is a value already there. Now i'm not sure how the car will be effected when changing that value + or -. It's simple stuff but again i'm a complete novice at this and i'm not sure where to start. Are there some books to read up on that I could start with so I have a better understanding of the values that are already in the ESL main screen.

Thank you for anyone that spends some time helping out.

piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I have ESL with the motorsport options. To keep it simple, you wire a switch to a designated pin on the ECU which is switched to ground when you turn the switch "on". You can have a switch for antilag and another for launch or else have one switch doing both at the same time or else just switch them on in software (one or both) and leave them on (without using a physical switch) depending on how you're using the car. I use mine on the road and I have launch on all the time which kicks in at 4000rpm when the car is at a standstill. I will be putting a switch on for antilag but in the meantime I've just not used it. If you had a rally car I imagine you'd just leave both options on all the time?

I don't see why you'd need to scale the MAF unless you've changed it for one with a different spec to the original MAF intended for your ECU. You might at some stage need to scale injectors if you install larger ones but that's well covered in the manual. I have to admit I did need some help understanding some stuff but I asked Andy and he helped me out when he could. It's a big learning curve, don't expect to understand it all straight away.

Last edited by piehole1983; 14 January 2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 14 January 2015, 12:40 AM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

The esl software is extremely user friendly imo.
you sound like you need to do a serious amount of homework before you get started,don't just focus on esl but tuning /recalibration in general.
Also why not focus on one thing at a time such as your fuel related map/s and timing first instead of more complex tables.
they all tie hand in hand with one another so once you get an understanding for them you'll see how they work with each other.
finally why not start by doing some logging,it's basic and gives you lots of data to interpret,you can never do too much logging !
Not directly what you asked i know but all meant as encouragement

Tim
Old 14 January 2015, 12:42 AM
alter_
Scooby Newbie

Ok so i'm totally getting steered by a different group of "tuners". I trust people that already have esl vs people that are used to other open tuning software. I was told you should just scale the maf. I'm super glad I spoke up here. Yeah I need to scale my injectors as i went to 565cc and plan on upgrading to 850cc. I will read up in the manual.

Nowfor the switch. See I would love a diagram on how that is wired up. I'm not afraid of doing wiring as long as I have some kind of idea what pin i'm supposed to jump or how it is even wired. That is the kind of tutorial that i'm looking for.

Currently i'm running a ej20k 1s wrx ecu.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:52 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I'm confused. Why would you want to scale the maf?

The above notes give you all the info about wiring switches, although like piehole said, LC might as well be on all the time, so enter 128 in the LC switch mask.

A 1S ECU is B135 pin 11 as per http://www.enduringsolutions.com/Motorsport.pdf

THe ECU pinouts also in the links above.
Old 15 January 2015, 08:14 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Andy Stevens;11603150]I'm confused. Why would you want to scale the maf?

When first had mine mapped maffless the maff was rescaled
Does that change where load is
Old 15 January 2015, 08:15 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

If the car was running MAFless then it doesn't use the MAF at all! Still no need to rescale it. It uses the MAP sensor and air temperature to calculate load instead.
Old 15 January 2015, 08:53 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

In manual shows pressure is multiplied by maff scale if maffless for load
Dont really need air temp to run
On my maff and maffless map the maff scaling are different
Old 15 January 2015, 08:56 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaysz
In manual shows pressure is multiplied by maff scale if maffless for load Dont really need air temp to run On my maff and maffless map the maff scaling are different
You on ESL too?

I was under the impression that to do away with the MAF sensor and run MAFless you had to have the IAT sensor fitted? The IAT sensor needs to be connected to one of the wires that the MAF would have normally used. I do see what you mean by the MAP sensor being multiplied by the MAF scale though, my bad.

Last edited by piehole1983; 15 January 2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 15 January 2015, 09:01 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
You on ESL too?
Yeah u
Old 15 January 2015, 09:03 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaysz
Yeah u
Yes mate, edited my last post. Have a look.
Old 15 January 2015, 09:11 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

When i had car mapped didn't have ait sensor installed but I have added it myself only used to adjust timing and fuelling if reaches inlet temps that you put in
Old 16 January 2015, 06:12 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

You can still use the MAF scale gradient.To adjust the "scaling" of the load, even when using Mafless.
It is easier to keep it stock and just adjust the load axis of the Fuel or Ignition maps.
Old 16 January 2015, 07:05 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Just to add. No need for any switches for the motorsports. Enable them all on one map and disable them on another.

As for the boost settings I adjust the pressure and duty values of the solenoid. I think the turbo dynamics settings are for those who already know and are not wishing to give away hard earned knowledge for free, and rightly so.
Old 17 June 2017, 11:02 PM
Jason Roper
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
I'm confused. Why would you want to scale the maf?

The above notes give you all the info about wiring switches, although like piehole said, LC might as well be on all the time, so enter 128 in the LC switch mask.

A 1S ECU is B135 pin 11 as per http://www.enduringsolutions.com/Motorsport.pdf

THe ECU pinouts also in the links above.

mines just back from andy forrest and i was advised to install a switch to ground pin 11 for antilag but there is no wire in pin 11 so used my own however it did noting 😕 Map 2 however has constant antilag so is no good for everyday use! The instructiond for the esl motorsports pack make no sense unless your an car electrician and iv had no help at all! Relly bad considerjng i payed £550 for the privilege and no support after!
Old 17 June 2017, 11:19 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Roper

mines just back from andy forrest and i was advised to install a switch to ground pin 11 for antilag but there is no wire in pin 11 so used my own however it did noting 😕 Map 2 however has constant antilag so is no good for everyday use! The instructiond for the esl motorsports pack make no sense unless your an car electrician and iv had no help at all! Relly bad considerjng i payed £550 for the privilege and no support after!
What car you got? Are you on the 1s ECU for WRX?
Old 17 June 2017, 11:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andy doesnt seem to offer support anymore like he used to, as you say, lots of money spent with little forward feedback unless you lose more £££ for the privilege
Old 18 June 2017, 12:05 AM
Jason Roper
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
My97 wrx import with the 1s ecu
Old 18 June 2017, 12:08 AM
Jason Roper
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

The support I recieved from esl 🙄
Old 18 June 2017, 12:13 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Why didn't Andy install it if it's just the case of a wire? When my original SimTek was installed by JGM he wired it so ALS was on a switch. I'm sure he spent about 5 hours on the car that day, mapping, checking other stuff etc
Old 18 June 2017, 12:15 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

You defiantly looking at the correct plug for pin 11? Middle plug.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:17 AM
Jason Roper
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Why didn't Andy install it if it's just the case of a wire? When my original SimTek was installed by JGM he wired it so ALS was on a switch. I'm sure he spent about 5 hours on the car that day, mapping, checking other stuff etc
Because i didnt realise i needed a switch 🙈 My esl has two maps! Bkth identical but map two has anti lag active constantly so andy told me to fit a switch at a later date so i could activate anti lag in map 1 at my own will however this is lroving more difficult than expected 😕
Old 18 June 2017, 12:22 AM
Jason Roper
Scooby Newbie

You defiantly looking at the correct plug for pin 11? Middle plug.

I will post a propper picture up tomorrow but i i have drawing this as if your looking at it plugged in lol the blue arrow represents the pin 11 in b135 (middle)
However there is no wire from the loom to this pin it is empty ��

Last edited by Jason Roper; 18 June 2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:24 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

I will post a propper picture up tomorrow but i i have drawing this as if your looking at it plugged in lol the blue arrow represents the pin 11 in b135 (middle)
However there is no wire from the loom to this pin it is empty ��
If there is no pin can you not add one?
Old 18 June 2017, 12:24 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

You should be able to use pin 18 on B136 then set the switch mask to 64.
Mine is set to 64 so I'm pretty sure it's wired to pin 18,can't remember tbh.
If I get time I will have a look.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:26 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

You should be able to use pin 18 on B136 then set the switch mask to 64.
Mine is set to 64 so I'm pretty sure it's wired to pin 18,can't remember tbh.
If I get time I will have a look.
I wish all this stuff make actual sense to me. I need to get into this mapping stuff lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESL - Boost,MAFless, Antilag and Launch control tutorial