Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

track rod end - adjustment per turn

Old 04 November 2017, 05:12 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts
Default track rod end - adjustment per turn

bit random - but anyone any idea how much adjustment there is in a full turn on the track rod?

reason being i am having caster adjustment bushes removed on my 2009 Hatch STI.... on removing the bushes will slightly increase the toe-in that im already running, so just want to wind it out a bit so that it doesnt chew tyres until i get it on the proper alignment jig

my current toe-in settings here:-
https://i.imgur.com/UZzQeus.png

and an example of increased caster bushes fitted into 08 onwards arms
https://i.imgur.com/953BQFY.png

so removing bushes and return to centre mount bush will decrease caster which in turn will increase toe-in as track rod runs in front of arm to hub

EDIT: so far ive found have a turn is equivalent to approx 4mm adjustment

Last edited by Gambit; 06 November 2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08 November 2017, 09:43 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but you should be able to work the number of mm at the edge of the wheel by:

Measure thread pitch on track rod (should be easy to find from the diameter and known thread pitches, or using verniers), and multiply by the ratio of the distance from the center of the wheel.

For example, if thread pitch is 1.25mm, and the distance to the edge of the wheel from the center is 3x the distance form the track rod ball joint to the center, then one turn is 3.75mm

If measuring the thread pitch, measure ten threads and divide by ten for a more accurate answer.

A bit of trig should get you degrees if that's the number you are after.

Search this Thread