Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Economical driving?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2012, 10:11 AM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Economical driving?

I know as a Impreza owner we didn’t buy them for fuel economy but was wandering what is the most fuel efficient way to drive them since I tent to try and keep it below 3K revs driving around town to keep off the boost but then if you think about power to weight ratio it’s using less power to move more weight without the turbo so is it actually using more petrol?
Old 20 March 2012, 11:29 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Do you have a boost gauge to actually see when your off boost ? I don't at the moment and it involves a bit of guess work to keep off boost.
Old 20 March 2012, 02:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There is a bit of weight to this: As there is a sweet spot when building up speed. Full throttle is wastefull as the car enriches the fuel mixture, but not using enough throttle means you spend too long acelerating. I reckon it best not to spend too long accelarating, as best MPG is achived by maintaining a constant speed.

So I find it better to give some mild beans (i.e part throttle to 3-4K revs to get up to road speed then slot it in 5th or 6th once at my cruise speed. Block changing gears if need be if the car has a close ratio box, as you don't need to sequentially shift and use every gear with a close ratio gearbox, especially when going downhill.

I also avoid stopping at all costs. Needs some practice and good observation.
Old 21 March 2012, 12:51 AM
FurballPhil
Scooby Regular

Find Hills and coast down with the engine off... It`s the only way to get more miles from a Scooby.......
Old 21 March 2012, 09:34 AM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petethemeat
Do you have a boost gauge to actually see when your off boost ? I don't at the moment and it involves a bit of guess work to keep off boost.
I must admit it seems a bit guess work since I don’t have a boost gauge either just presumed since the wine of the turbo and acceleration doesn’t really start till 3K that was around the right area?

Originally Posted by ALi-B
There is a bit of weight to this: As there is a sweet spot when building up speed. Full throttle is wastefull as the car enriches the fuel mixture, but not using enough throttle means you spend too long acelerating. I reckon it best not to spend too long accelarating, as best MPG is achived by maintaining a constant speed.

So I find it better to give some mild beans (i.e part throttle to 3-4K revs to get up to road speed then slot it in 5th or 6th once at my cruise speed. Block changing gears if need be if the car has a close ratio box, as you don't need to sequentially shift and use every gear with a close ratio gearbox, especially when going downhill.

I also avoid stopping at all costs. Needs some practice and good observation.
I've heard the avoid stopping technique before but haven’t quite got used to doing it yet since most of my driving is in town with 30-40mph zones with lots of traffic lights. But I do similar to the way you mention by getting to the speed limit reasonably fast then sticking it n the highest gear to drop the revs.
Old 21 March 2012, 03:41 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=MR2Mk1;10543832]I must admit it seems a bit guess work since I don’t have a boost gauge either just presumed since the wine of the turbo and acceleration doesn’t really start till 3K that was around the right area?

Yeah i work on the same 3k rule as you. That and the DV giving me an indication
Old 21 March 2012, 11:14 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's mainly driving style: Anticipating so that you vary your speed as little as possible. Acceleration sense so you're not burning fuel only to brake and turn it into heat moments later, and adopting a cruise speed and a high gear ASAP without labouring the engine. Basically driving as smoothly as possible. Droppping your cruising speed makes a massive difference too, but 60Mph is BORING.

Keeping the car maintained goes without saying - Faulty brakes, flat tyres and faulty O2 sensors all waste fuel.

I don't think you're ever going to see averages much above 30mpg in an impreza!
Old 22 March 2012, 01:55 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by FurballPhil
Find Hills and coast down with the engine off... It`s the only way to get more miles from a Scooby.......
Bloody DANGEROUS as no servo help from the brakes. Also I believe it is ILLEGAL as it was used by truckers when being tailgated, switch off engine so no brake lights and then nail the brakes. Also you would loose power steering.
Old 22 March 2012, 02:56 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MR2Mk1
I know as a Impreza owner we didn’t buy them for fuel economy but was wandering what is the most fuel efficient way to drive them since I tent to try and keep it below 3K revs driving around town to keep off the boost but then if you think about power to weight ratio it’s using less power to move more weight without the turbo so is it actually using more petrol?

dumb topic, let this thread die.......... silly ****
Old 22 March 2012, 07:18 AM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigo
dumb topic, let this thread die.......... silly ****
If you dont like the thread dont read it or post on it then you idiot

Last edited by MR2Mk1; 22 March 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 22 March 2012, 07:29 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog
It's mainly driving style: Anticipating so that you vary your speed as little as possible. Acceleration sense so you're not burning fuel only to brake and turn it into heat moments later, and adopting a cruise speed and a high gear ASAP without labouring the engine. Basically driving as smoothly as possible. Droppping your cruising speed makes a massive difference too, but 60Mph is BORING.

Keeping the car maintained goes without saying - Faulty brakes, flat tyres and faulty O2 sensors all waste fuel.

I don't think you're ever going to see averages much above 30mpg in an impreza!
As above, I know for fun I don't care about the fuel bill, so for the 50-mile daily commute I'm happy to drive like miss daisy, but 30mpg, in my dreams - I'm generally happy to be above 25mpg when doing the commute
Old 22 March 2012, 12:28 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

since most of my driving is in town with 30-40mph zones with lots of traffic lights. But I do similar to the way you mention by getting to the speed limit reasonably fast then sticking it n the highest gear to drop the revs.
Catch a bus...

And as for coasting downhill, when the transmission is loading the engine, it needs no fuel...

dunx
Old 24 March 2012, 09:16 AM
Sclarke
Scooby Regular

There is a technique called pulse and glide that the hypermilers use. It is between 10-20% more efficient than maintaining a constant speed on an A road or similar.

To try it out make sure you are on a clear road, as this is not recommended in heavy traffic! Gently accelerate to around 5-10mph above your ideal cruising speed, knock the car out of gear and allow the car to coast down to 5mph under your ideal speed and then repeat the process.

I have tried it on a number of occasions and it does work in terms of economy but it is a bit laborious and heavy on the clutch and gearbox since you are using it constantly. It works better if you combine it with hills for maximum effect.

Hope that helps!
Old 24 March 2012, 10:51 PM
scooby800
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FurballPhil
your just as good to be off the gas as a fuel injected car uses no fuel on overrun
Old 24 March 2012, 10:56 PM
scooby800
Scooby Regular

If you dont like the thread dont read it or post on it then you idiot
+1 all hail the mk1 mr2 i loved mine more than life itsself most fun iv had with my cloths on I NEED ANOUTHER ONE NOW sorry just read your username lol
Old 26 March 2012, 08:31 AM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby800
+1 all hail the mk1 mr2 i loved mine more than life itsself most fun iv had with my cloths on I NEED ANOUTHER ONE NOW sorry just read your username lol
The Impreza is the replacement for my Mk1 since needed a bigger car but still wanted something fun to drive. Although the Mk1 was more fuel efficient and more fun to drive with the twitchy back end in the wet but that’s the charm of the MR2 you have to drive it rather than let it drive you.
Old 26 March 2012, 10:53 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The Impreza is the replacement for my Mk1 since needed a bigger car but still wanted something fun to drive. Although the Mk1 was more fuel efficient and more fun to drive with the twitchy back end in the wet but that’s the charm of the MR2 you have to drive it rather than let it drive you.
Absolutely. I can't really think of more "Chalk and Cheese" Drivers cars (within my realms of experience) than the MK1 MR2 and the Impreza.

The Mk1 MR2 taught you how to drive, properly. It was all about momentum, grip, chassis balance and keeping the engine on song.

Them Impreza just shakes it's head at you when you get a bit ham fisted and sorts it out for you. Not the best line through a corner? No matter, just boost your way out and you've not lost much, you'll still be going far too fast for the next one anyway!

I love them both, but they're entirely different, and I think the Imreza will have a lot of work to do yet to gain a similar place in my heart as my two Mk1's....
Old 26 March 2012, 10:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I remember getting my classic well out of shape flat in third gear once....
I simply braked and steered into the skid, leaving four huge black arcs around the corner...

They really do flatter us wheel monkeys

dunx

P.S. Only spun my STI once in the wet at Blyton, flat in third gear and calmly steered it straight as she turned through 180 degrees... my passenger thought I was showing off
Old 27 March 2012, 09:24 PM
FurballPhil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Bloody DANGEROUS as no servo help from the brakes. Also I believe it is ILLEGAL as it was used by truckers when being tailgated, switch off engine so no brake lights and then nail the brakes. Also you would loose power steering.
It wasn`t meant to be taken seriously...
Old 28 March 2012, 10:03 AM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog
Absolutely. I can't really think of more "Chalk and Cheese" Drivers cars (within my realms of experience) than the MK1 MR2 and the Impreza.

The Mk1 MR2 taught you how to drive, properly. It was all about momentum, grip, chassis balance and keeping the engine on song.

Them Impreza just shakes it's head at you when you get a bit ham fisted and sorts it out for you. Not the best line through a corner? No matter, just boost your way out and you've not lost much, you'll still be going far too fast for the next one anyway!

I love them both, but they're entirely different, and I think the Imreza will have a lot of work to do yet to gain a similar place in my heart as my two Mk1's....
That’s what I find with the Impreza. The Mk1 you had to drive and if you cocked up you span off or hit something but the Impreza anyone can drive since it is far more forgiving. Must admit I’m finding I miss the handling and twitchiness of the MR2 but for practicality the Impreza is better for carry space especial when your trying to get 2 gun cases and a passenger in.
Old 28 March 2012, 09:42 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I tend to use the £500 oil burner to eat the miles and have the scoob supply the smiles at the weekend
Old 31 March 2012, 10:17 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Get the wife to drive but very frustrating.
Old 31 March 2012, 10:31 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

buy diesel then or a ****ty micra keep scoob for toy
Old 22 April 2012, 08:34 PM
steveuk260
Scooby Regular

I got Honda civic diesel for work 70 miles a day, and scooby for leisure.
Old 24 April 2012, 03:19 PM
steveuk260
Scooby Regular

Cool

An Update, just filled my scooby second time to full and calculated the fuel usage, my scooby does ( 29.37 MPG ) and no it is true, not fake. even i am surprised i was expecting something around 20 mpg. BTW, its like 60% town driving and 40% out of town. What is astounding is that i had toyota avensis se 1.8 petrol and that did 30 MPG go figure that one out, i cant.
Old 28 April 2012, 08:38 AM
steveuk260
Scooby Regular

I achieved 29.37 mpg in scooby by changing gears @ 2,500 rpm
Old 29 April 2012, 08:44 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Keep your tyres well inflated (harder tyres give better fuel economy but less grip!!), empty the boot, get your tracking checked, make sure you have a clean air filter & clean your MAF, use a fuel system cleaner and consider a good Teflon gearbox & engine oil additive. At worst all that will still cost under £100.

If it improves your MPG from 25mpg to 27.5mpg, and lets say you do 250 miles a week in your car, it will save you £335.40 per year in fuel!! (and thats based on £1.45 per litre!!)
Old 29 April 2012, 11:46 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by eclipse performance
consider a good Teflon gearbox & engine oil additive.
All good advice except for this.

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/autocare/additivesoil.htm
Old 29 April 2012, 11:50 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

That's in engine oil.

PTFE/teflon in gearboxes/diffs should be ok....so long as its not a DDCD or plated LSD.
Old 29 April 2012, 11:50 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

That's in engine oil.

PTFE/teflon in gearboxes/diffs should be ok....so long as its not a DCD or plated LSD.

Quick Reply: Economical driving?