Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

DRIFTING TECHNIQUE

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2009, 09:21 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIFTING TECHNIQUE

i'm having a go at a drift day soon and i'm looking for some advice,
i've watched some the videos in the other thread in here, some are good, a lot are boring and don't look that quick are there any good drivers on scoobynet ??
do i just handbrake into the corner and then nail it ??
will i need 300bhp at least to help me drift??
could i use a front wheel drive car??
Old 21 November 2009, 05:07 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

There are 2 names that spring to my mind as what i would class as very very good drivers on here, John beech and John felstead, oh yes and im not to bad myself but those 2 are in a different league to me, cheers steve.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:10 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

and no thats not how you start a drift off, i usually turn in and nail it at the same time and can hold a good power slide for quite a long distance, i do have an 06 STI with 350 bhp wich helps.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:14 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Ideally you need a high powered rear wheel drive car.Thats why Nissans are used a lot.You don't use the handbrake,just chuck it into the corner hard at the same time as nailing the throttle to get the back end to step out then feather the throttle and control the steering wheel to keep the drift going.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:29 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Spot on that man thats exactly what i do and it seems to work fine for me, it works great on donnington park as i would never try to slide round on public roads.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:34 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

And no you cant drift with a front wheel drive car im surprised your even asking the question weather you could or not, if your in a front wheel drive car and you try to drift you will more than likely get front wheel understeer and hit a tree that may work , not.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:08 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YouTube - Scooby Drifting
YouTube - Rockingham Wet Grip Skid Day 28/02/09

Most were a yank on HB. It entirely depends on the track and grip. 3rd attempt on the 1st vid was a lame attempt at a scandinavian flick. However was already on the slippy stuff so didnt work too well. Got sideways tho.

To be able to drift you really need to know what its happening, the question about FWD is not a good one to ask!
Old 22 November 2009, 04:17 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Harder rear ARB will help too
Old 23 November 2009, 07:59 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
And no you cant drift with a front wheel drive car im surprised your even asking the question weather you could or not, if your in a front wheel drive car and you try to drift you will more than likely get front wheel understeer and hit a tree that may work , not.

i'm sure it would work if you went into the corner at speed and handbraked it, then just nail the throttle and the front wheels would straight up the car, perahps another tug on the HB half way round to keep the back out???
Old 23 November 2009, 08:07 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
YouTube - Scooby Drifting
YouTube - Rockingham Wet Grip Skid Day 28/02/09

Most were a yank on HB. It entirely depends on the track and grip. 3rd attempt on the 1st vid was a lame attempt at a scandinavian flick. However was already on the slippy stuff so didnt work too well. Got sideways tho.

To be able to drift you really need to know what its happening, the question about FWD is not a good one to ask!

some of those attempts on the second video were pretty lame to say the least, all that bhp and the kind of cars , maybe you need an old bmw or an eastern european driver!! look at these guys on dry tarmac!! and an old estate car
YouTube - BMW Drift Day Tököl 2007.03.31.

Last edited by *2.0hdi*; 23 November 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 23 November 2009, 08:14 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

There are 2 names that spring to my mind as what i would class as very very good drivers on here, John beech and John felstead, oh yes and im not to bad myself but those 2 are in a different league to me, cheers steve.

WOW
would they be capable of this !!!

YouTube - BMW Drift!
Old 23 November 2009, 01:06 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

I've never tried drifting 4WD but for RWD, there are 4 basic techniques that i use to start a powerslide (which you need to be able to do before you move onto drifting).

1. Clutch kick. Probably the easiest method, especially if your are short on bhp. Turn in, dip the clutch (no need to do it fully), and then give it lots of throttle as you quickly bring the clutch back up. This is the easiest method as it is dependent solely on your actions.

2. Flick. Unsettle the car by turning out and then in again so as to break traction at the rear. Give it lots of beans as you turn back in. No so easy as cluch kick.

3. Handbrake. Fairly obvious. Start to turn in and haul on the handbrake. Sounds very easy but I don't find this easy at all for some reason. Maybe my handbrake just into up to it.

4. Speed. Just go into the corner hard and fast, turn in, and give it loads of throttle. I find this to be unpredictable as there is the potential in lower power cars just to understeer off the track (but quite rapidly).

2 and 1 (which can be brutal on the clutch) are my favourites. In all case, the slide is controlled by a balance of throttle and steering angle. I've tried to show a few mates how to do this and without fail, they seem to freeze and either hold constant angle or constant throttle. You have to use both. It's a bit like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Tricky for a while but becomes second nature with some practice. Come out of the slide gently by slowly straightening up. Don't just release the power or you'll get lift off oversteer and pitch yourself round in the opposite direction to the slide.

Once you can powerslide, then you can move onto drifting (transitioning from sliding one direction to the other).
Old 23 November 2009, 04:49 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Tell you what mate you just stick to pulling the hand brake on , im sure you will be fine just let us know when you come into contact with the tree, we could all do with a good laugh,lol.
Old 23 November 2009, 04:53 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

pulling the hand brake on, sorry mate im still chuckleing to myself, please tell me the 1st question was a wind up, mind you we could do with more questions like this, it is funny.
Old 23 November 2009, 07:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by *2.0hdi*
WOW
would they be capable of this !!!

YouTube - BMW Drift!
This guy hasnt got the skill to keep his car on his side of the road and hasnt factored in other traffic aproaching, which could have had a totally unpredictable reponse to seeing that coming at them with the rear end in their lane. Not a big or clever thing to do, a rank amateur at work.

You can drift FWD cars, watch any historic mini being driven on the limit and they will be in a drift if going quickly.
Old 23 November 2009, 08:14 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

4wd drifting - the real deal.

YouTube - Best Moments of Stian Hafsengen in Gatebil
Old 23 November 2009, 08:24 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

^^ man I bet his tyre sponsors hate him!!! lol!
Old 23 November 2009, 08:51 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LC Geezer

2. Flick. Unsettle the car by turning out and then in again so as to break traction at the rear. Give it lots of beans as you turn back in. No so easy as cluch kick.

3. Handbrake. Fairly obvious. Start to turn in and haul on the handbrake. Sounds very easy but I don't find this easy at all for some reason. Maybe my handbrake just into up to it.

4. Speed. Just go into the corner hard and fast, turn in, and give it loads of throttle. I find this to be unpredictable as there is the potential in lower power cars just to understeer off the track (but quite rapidly).

2 and 1 (which can be brutal on the clutch) are my favourites. In all case, the slide is controlled by a balance of throttle and steering angle. I've tried to show a few mates how to do this and without fail, they seem to freeze and either hold constant angle or constant throttle. You have to use both. It's a bit like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Tricky for a while but becomes second nature with some practice. Come out of the slide gently by slowly straightening up. Don't just release the power or you'll get lift off oversteer and pitch yourself round in the opposite direction to the slide.

Alright Geezer with the HB technieque on awd i found its much about timing. Still need the weight shifted/ing when yank of course or it will just be slow to take off. I too thought my hand brake was not up to it when i tried previously. But on the skid day when your going a little faster and safer it was more than adequate. Easy to get sideways on the basalt with steering an power, but for some reason on the other surface flicking just didnt work. Only way was yank on the HB (with clutch in ofc).

Id like to have a go in a car with much more rear bias.

Most entertaining i find is the power over, usually good on opening corner perhaps with a nice camber change, might only shuv the **** out a foot but boy its fun

I found the best way to drift the merc sl was to get it right on the limit before using the power to push it over. (with 570bhp that was easy). When you got it right it didnt really require much steering or throttle input to keep it going. I fund thats when the initiated speed was correct.

i use the term drift just meaning a powerslide basically.

Sure FWD u can get the tail out, my focus is pretty nifty at that, so was my old 306. But nothing to do with power oversteer as we know associate drifting.

2.0HDI, LOL yes i agree. Problem with when its your own car you have to repair it. And with these cars that costs ALOT! Lets not also forget these are roadcars and are designed to drive round corners not slide round them. Yes BMW are all RWD, totally different to drive and slide than an AWD subaru.
Old 24 November 2009, 09:44 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport

i wouldn't put that down as being good??
he lost it a few times, took till 1.31minute to see something proper, anyone could do what he was doing in the open carpark around cones and he wasn't very accurate theres also loads of room to spin off and not hit anything, also no subaru in sight??
this is the real deal, 1.43min scandanavian flick and barriers 3ft away!!! lovely induction noise too
YouTube - BMW Drift E30
Old 24 November 2009, 09:48 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Tell you what mate you just stick to pulling the hand brake on , im sure you will be fine just let us know when you come into contact with the tree, we could all do with a good laugh,lol.

i've seen a yound guy in his 1.0l 12v corsa do quite well at it, he had it sideways for quite some distance while the track was wet
Old 24 November 2009, 07:54 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Mate, get yourself an old knackered scooby, bodge the centre diff then get down santapod on a dwyb day - lex will teach you all you need to know about drifting .... you might do better to have a look on the driftworks forum for drifting tips too

btw, the link you posted, you know that was a hill climb n not a drift race right?

oh and a 1 litre corsa sideways for some distance isn't drifting dude .... it's lucky .... it hasn't hit a barrier
Old 24 November 2009, 08:19 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Jean Ragnotti tribute

2m30sec
Old 24 November 2009, 08:53 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)
Old 25 November 2009, 11:11 AM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

Come and pop over to us guys at Drifting with Driftworks we can help you out!
Old 25 November 2009, 03:00 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Civic FWD drifting
Old 25 November 2009, 08:00 PM
stevros
Scooby Regular

i used to have a 200sx go to you tube and look up 'driftwhip' the 2 a38 ones were my best but it was just a bit of fun!!
Old 29 November 2009, 12:16 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobymad555
Mate, get yourself an old knackered scooby, bodge the centre diff then get down santapod on a dwyb day - lex will teach you all you need to know about drifting .... you might do better to have a look on the driftworks forum for drifting tips too

btw, the link you posted, you know that was a hill climb n not a drift race right?

oh and a 1 litre corsa sideways for some distance isn't drifting dude .... it's lucky .... it hasn't hit a barrier

as you say , a knackered subaru, thats why i wouldn't get one, there always broken after any hard use!! if your going to drift there only one option from what i can see, incarsolutions video link only proves my point!
BMW
hows this for car control and such a deceptively fast car!
YouTube - Blue E30 M3 Hill climb
Old 29 November 2009, 12:26 AM
*2.0hdi*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by incarsolutions
Come and pop over to us guys at Drifting with Driftworks we can help you out!
weres the meet?? i'm a long way north from dartford !
Old 04 December 2009, 04:56 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Location: Heart of Midlothian FC aka Hearts have the nickname "The Jambo's" - therefore I'm a Jambo too.

*2.0hdi* - all this talk of old beemers and winding Subaru owners up under the disguise of a prank user name??

Sounds like somebody else I know! Who happens to be a drifting God by the way

Old 05 December 2009, 11:55 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Quick Reply: DRIFTING TECHNIQUE