Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gear Selector Issue On Blobeye Wrx ???

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2012, 08:31 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gear Selector Issue On Blobeye Wrx ???

Hey guys im hoping someone may be able to help me out with an explenation as what may be wrong with my gearbox/selector in my upon till now fault free subaru impreza.

Basics: 2004 blobeye wrx, 50k fsh, mild mods aprox 280bhp, i have owned her for 3 years and upon till now has been 100% fault free and drove like new.

Two weeks ago on the way to work travelling at aprox 60mph in 5th gear i attempted to change down into 4th to overtake but it wouldnt select so i attempted to go back into 5th gear and with moderate force and the gear stick jammed into an odd position and had to coast to a stop with the clutch engaged as it was stuck in a grinding position. The gearbox upon till now had been silent and silky smooth, I presumed i had bent the gear linkage due to maybe being a bit heavy handed.

I had the car recovered to a local garage with good subaru knowledge and 3 days later i got it back. The mechanic explained it wasnt the linkage at fault but the selector inside the box which he had managed to free up by removing the backplate of the gearbox without having to remove the gearbox from the car. He replaced the selecor rod as it looked slightly bent and replaced with new gearbox oil. I havnt drove it too much over the last two weeks but seemed fine apart from on a couple of occasions i noticed it would jump out of 5th gear under de-celaration but i put it down to me not selecting correctly ?. Anyhow today during a nice leisurely drive accelarating onto a dual carriage way at aprox 60mph i attempted to change up from 4th to 5th and again i felt the gearstick move in odd position and again it jammed and had to coast to a stop with the clutch engaged.

Mighty peed of now to say the least, could somebody thats had a similar experiance or with technical knowledge explain what may be causing this to happen, i always treat the engine/clutch and gearbox with respect and has been completly flawless up to now

I will get the car back into the garage tomorrow and await the verdict but any info u can give will be much appreciated..

Thanks.....

Last edited by Dubzy; 28 May 2012 at 12:58 PM.