Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

grinding/binding noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2011, 09:40 PM
paulbakersti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding/binding noise when turning

hi all i have a sti 2003 i have only had it 3 months brought from a garage,the problem i have is when iam driving and steer to the right i hear what i think is grinding or binding sounds like something is rubbing ie metal to metal.i have taken it back to garage as i have warranty still,they put 4 new tyres on as they were wrong size new brake pads but still got noise.further looking into it they now say its something with suspension.the previous owner had spent £1850 on stage 3 handling kit from powerstation back in 2009 which includes white line 22m front and rear arm,white line anti lift castor kit,ast coilover kit,white line alloy rear arm link.i have spoken to powerstation they say there kit should not make that sound when turning it has also had suspension service back it 2010 same company it was fitted with 40k on clock now has 60k. The garage/dealer are now saying they wiil have to put standard suspension on to get rid off noise,which i dont want. has any one had this before iam in need of help advice as iam not a mechanic
Old 08 December 2011, 10:02 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

hi sounds like a wheel bearing issue to me,grinding under load ,probable nsf or nsr bearing,
its likely theres no movement in the bearing to be felt when on a ramp yet ,but under load its enough to cause noise,

it may be rough when driven suspended on a ramp and could be diagnosed by feeling of vibration through the suspension strut.
id suggest you get a second opinion from a reputable subaru garage,non dealer.

As far as i know wheel bearings on newage models are all bolt on hub units instead of separate bearings that are fitted on a classic version.
Dave
Old 11 December 2011, 07:34 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

I've recently had exactly the same problem it seems. Recently it's been a grinding noise when turning right but only under higher speeds. Normal day to day driving doesn't seem to bother it. Might get it in the garage for a check.
Old 24 December 2011, 08:08 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Ok had the noise checked out by the lads at scoobyclinic and they changed a rear diff bearing which seemed to do the trick, or well I thought it had. The other day it started again, and again it only happens when I go in to a corner slowly then accelerate out, then it stops as soon as the weight is off that corner. It sounds very much like the same noise you get when you can hear your rear brakes rubbing, although I'm not sure why or how the pads would rub on that side under load?
Old 24 December 2011, 10:58 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default noise

check your front wheel hubs i had same problem on my sti uk bugeye, already drove 30 miles and realised a problem got to the garage had checked out at cams in darwen and had to have the hub on n/s side changed ended up leaving the car at the garage and sourced a set of hubs off rob day possb hub collapse at anytime worth checking
Old 24 December 2011, 11:17 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Why would the front hubs cause noise from the rear though out of interest?
Old 24 December 2011, 11:25 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default noise

i thought the noise was coming from the rear when driving thought it was a rear bearing, its surprising were the sound is coming from when in the car just mite be worth checking
Old 29 December 2011, 11:37 AM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by obey1
i thought the noise was coming from the rear when driving thought it was a rear bearing, its surprising were the sound is coming from when in the car just mite be worth checking
you have a point i am havin the same problem atm and i swore blind the sound was coming from the rear but it was coming from the front
Old 30 December 2011, 12:55 AM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default noise

it is worth checking, didnt like the answer from garage could have collapsed at any time
Old 30 December 2011, 11:06 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

I have similar thing going on folks,when cornering hardish to the right theres a grinding noise at n/s rear,took it to pole position for it to be checked and stripped rear calliper and hub off,couldnt find any binding at all but was metal filings magnatised to abs sensor,which they think is rear wheel bearing,they did front one few weeks back too so will be having it sorted after xmas,one thing to add is had just bearing done at front and after it was still grinding ( this was at a naff garrage NOT pole position) then took it to pole and they changed whole hub and bearing together,job done.May just do same on rear,
My car is my02 sti with coilovers,whiteline rear arb and droplinks,other suspension mods so maybe more load on bearings,hope this helps,carl.

Last edited by carl heath; 30 December 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 30 December 2011, 12:24 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
I have similar thing going on folks,when cornering hardish to the right theres a grinding noise at n/s rear,took it to pole position for it to be checked and stripped rear calliper and hub off,couldnt find any binding at all but was metal filings magnatised to abs sensor,which they think is rear wheel bearing,they did front one few weeks back too so will be having it sorted after xmas,one thing to add is had just bearing done at front and after it was still grinding ( this was at a naff garrage NOT pole position) then took it to pole and they changed whole hub and bearing together,job done.May just do same on rear,
My car is my02 sti with coilovers,whiteline rear arb and droplinks,other suspension mods so maybe more load on bearings,hope this helps,carl.
how much did u pay to have the hub and bearing changed mate ?
Old 31 December 2011, 01:02 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Supply and fit it was £250 i think but i had other bits done so not defo,id paid to have bearing done by another garrage before but didnt chanhe hub so i paid twice.carl.
Old 02 January 2012, 10:45 PM
richscoobylove84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
Supply and fit it was £250 i think but i had other bits done so not defo,id paid to have bearing done by another garrage before but didnt chanhe hub so i paid twice.carl.
ok ta mate
Old 16 March 2017, 02:11 AM
subiefam079904
Scooby Newbie

I too have a binding noise when turning either way in my forester. but the noise is only present when the steering wheel is all the way to the left or right. I'm not sure what it is, there are many possibilities, but until I have it in the air I'm not sure what it is. Any for sure solutions out there?