Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox noise on overrun on (TY754VBAAA) STI V code

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2008, 07:08 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox noise on overrun on (TY754VBAAA) STI V code

Has anyone every had a bearing noise on overrun ? you can fell it through the gear stick when this happens ??
Old 04 May 2008, 03:47 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Mine does this on the earlier 752 box. It started doing it 3 years ago and has never got any worse.

Just one thing though. Is the power steering fluid topped up? It can well give a transmission type of noise when low.

Wayne.
Old 04 May 2008, 05:14 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

yer pas fluid is all ok . if you dip the clutch when coasting the noise goes. had some sound equipment on it over the weekend dotted around the prop rear diff and box area. The noise seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. But not the rear diff as it's been changed and the noise is still there and the same. Removed the prop and checked the doughnut bearing all seem ok.Has anyone had the bearings in the transfer box worn. Could this cause the noise to transfer down the prop?
Old 04 May 2008, 08:05 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

I bought a 'noisy' TY754 Gearbox off of ebay, the problem was the rear bearing on the output shaft to the prop was completely worn, this would definately transfer noise down the prop.
Old 05 May 2008, 01:17 AM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

if it was those bearings.Am i right in saying they can be changed with gaerbox in the car?
Old 16 May 2008, 06:13 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l70byb.
if it was those bearings.Am i right in saying they can be changed with gaerbox in the car?
Changed mine last year and it's a gearbox out job I'm afraid. If anyone on here can do it with it one the car respect to you as I found it a right game mauling the thing around to getting stuff lined up and working - quite a few times I put the thing back together and found that the selector rods would not move when I checked them.

One bearing is a special and available from subaru, the other three I got from a local bearing supplier at a vastly reduced rate. PM me if you need further details and I'll post them up here.

Need a new box myself as it jams in third now, as of this morning.
Old 16 May 2008, 07:47 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

managed to get it all out with gearbox still in car. Only took 30 mins to remove end case and drop out the centre diff and drop gear . As you say 3 of the bearings i also got from local bearing supplier and the drop gear bearing only from subaru. What gearbox do you have ? The early type 4 bolt bell housing or later type 8 bolt bell housing as later one is much easier to do this!
Old 16 May 2008, 08:30 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Well done on replacing the bearings on the car!

Mine is a UK MY00 turbo 2000 with HL-TY754VN1AA gearbox in it. I don't think I would have got mine apart on the car as it was that tough to get apart, plus I had never taken one apart before and didn't know which bearings would need replacing
Old 16 May 2008, 09:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedydaveb
Well done on replacing the bearings on the car!

Mine is a UK MY00 turbo 2000 with HL-TY754VN1AA gearbox in it. I don't think I would have got mine apart on the car as it was that tough to get apart, plus I had never taken one apart before and didn't know which bearings would need replacing

I think the difference here is between removing the end case and the whole transfer case.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:48 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

So do I!! coz when on the ramp take the prop out the way then basiclly under the 8 or so 14mm bolts then its pretty much falls out when you tap the end cap
Old 17 May 2008, 11:55 AM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l70byb.
So do I!! coz when on the ramp take the prop out the way then basiclly under the 8 or so 14mm bolts then its pretty much falls out when you tap the end cap
It was the middle bit of the three that I had problems with, plus like I said I didn't know where the problem was so took the whole thing to bits
Old 17 May 2008, 01:38 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

maybe i should that . Put mine back together and the noise is still there. I give up now . I'm gonna wait till it lets go then i'll find the problem!
Old 20 May 2008, 09:38 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm sounds pretty terminal to me, my 95 box died shortly after getting a loud overrun whine, basically it was worn out.
Old 21 May 2008, 12:11 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madwrx
hmm sounds pretty terminal to me, my 95 box died shortly after getting a loud overrun whine, basically it was worn out.
Mine had done over 100,000 miles so same problem with mine. Just bought a <40k box off a 2002 WRX, need to find a 3.9 rear diff now.

If you've replaced four bearings you've replaced the ones I did. If it's a high milage box buy a spare and swap them when it goes bang, it'll be cheaper than getting it repaired.