Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction Noise... and waste gate..

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2001, 09:17 PM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just had fitted an HKS Super flow induction kit. This was fitted by Roger Clarke motorsport.

Ever since this was fitted I get a chattering / rattleing noise when lifting off the gas to change gear at about 3000-4000rpm, as well as my atmospheric dump valve noise

Roger Clarke says that the chattering / rattleing noise comes from the waste gate and is correct, however it is louder on a Terzo's to other impreza's??

Is this the same noise that you hear from the WRC cars (sometimes sounds like squeeking suspension on the WRC) but does sound similar to the noise I am getting.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 24 January 2001, 11:50 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I've got the same fitted on MY95 WRX and I only get the lovely atmospheric dump valve noise

Don't know where the getting the waste gate bit from ?

I fitted mine myself and had no problems whatsoever, 25min job tops...

Neil
Old 25 January 2001, 12:42 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yeah I get the loud blowing noise when balacing the throttle, quite hard to repeat sometimes....

Darren.
Old 25 January 2001, 01:02 AM
davy b
Scooby Regular

Cool

i got a hks induction kit fitted to my p1 a couple of months ago,and i have got the same waste gate noises too.i think it sounds brillant when you lift your foot off the pedal .i had this fitted to my last car a v5 sti which unfortantly burnt out my air flow meter ,but i think the problem was that you are meant to change the filter element every 5-7000 km which i forgot to do.if the element is dirty it can take in dust and burn out the a.f.m.i changed the hks element in my p1 at about 5000 miles and had no problems so far.the hks elements are about £20 i think.
Old 25 January 2001, 09:11 AM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Davy b,

It is a great noise but it does take a lot of getting used to!!!!

Does yours make an howling noise (almost like blowing over the top of a milk bottle) if you balance your throttle between accelerating and letting completely off??

Also, did the HKS make the same noise on your STI5??

Do you think this is a similar noise that you hear from the WRC cars?

Thanks
Mark.
Old 25 January 2001, 02:10 PM
davy b
Scooby Regular

Cool

MARK,YES TO THE FIRST TWO QUESTIONS,BUT THE NOISE FROM THE WRC CARS IS MORE OF A CHIRP THAN A FUTTLER,BUT THEY BOTH SOUND CLASS.
Old 25 January 2001, 03:14 PM
scottgod
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have the HKS induction system on my Sti3 but i dont get any wastegate chatter, just a loud woosh. I also have a HKS dump valve which i thought was the primary cause of the wooshing noise, is it the induction??. Why doesnt mine chatter.(BOOHOO, SOB) .I had the chatter before on a cossy and thought it sounded cool.

cheers scott
Old 25 January 2001, 04:09 PM
MDavenport
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scott,

The dump valve noise on my car happens before the fluttering / chattering noise that I hear from the induction kit.

The dump valve makes more of a 'phhhhssssss' noise whereas the induction noise is a lot deeper.

It does take some getting used to.. and everyone ask's me what's wrong with my car and why is it making that noise.... is the exhaust falling off!!!! (if only they had an impreza)!!

Mark.
Old 25 January 2001, 05:32 PM
Kramer
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've been wanting to ask this question for ages about noises the WRC's make.
The noise the WRC cars make sounds to me like as if their Tyres are squealing but they make this noise on loose gravel etc and even going in a straight line !
Is this the noise your on about Mark ?
Old 25 January 2001, 07:14 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

As I see it.

Seems a little odd this and yes I will get shot down in flames but.

The wastegate is in the exhaust side of the turbo so I fail to see how you hear this noise more after fitting an induction kit.
Not saying you are not just strange.

The dump valve dumps the pressure created by the turbo as soon as you lift off thus the turbo, in theory, is not being asked to pressurise the intake system. As the wastegate only opens when maximum boost is reached it should be fully closed when you lift off.

The WRC cars do not have dump valves, when they lift off the intake is still pressurised and the anti lag is spinning the turbo, the wastegate opens to control the boost and you hear the chatter.

Lee