Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

12psi full boost - normal or low?

Old 02 June 2000, 01:47 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Quick question: just had a boost gauge fitted, and found that I'm getting 12psi on full boost... I thought most of them ran at 14-15 psi? Also I'm not seeing the "x psi max, y psi held" thing, i.e. the boost is constant rather than an initial surge. This is in all gears, normal turbo revs (e.g. 3000-5500 for testing), MY00.

Ta
Richard
Old 02 June 2000, 02:37 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Richard.

12psi is about right.

Stef.
Old 02 June 2000, 02:45 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Richard,

Recently had a gauge and pod from MikeT (Scoobymania), I guess yours will be the same!

If I floor the throttle in say 3rd from about 2500rpm, my Scoob will peak at 14.5psi-15psi and then drop back to about 13psi-14psi (gauge indicated) as you go up the rev range. However, mine being a MY97 it has the larger turbo!

At Powerstation last weekend, my figures for boost were 13.2psi peak and holding 12.5psi. The peak reading was less at PS as they run the car up in 4th from low revs so the boost comes in less violently. Holding figure is about right.

Your boost figs. do seem a little on the low side in comparison with other MY00 cars ran at PS. Check on Paul Strong Dyno site, Ian Gratton has same vintage and same gauge. Have you checked your system for leaks? Hope you fitted it yourself and ditched the crappy nylon tubing for something more suitable!

p.s. how do you find the Rampod Induction?

Cheers
Chris
Old 02 June 2000, 02:58 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey you guys are quick off the mark! Cheers

I think the best I got was about 12.5, maybe nearly 13psi tops after a bit of hard driving (which always seems to make it more responsive for a while), so this probably is right. Chris - yep, mine's a MikeT special too! Didn't bother fitting it myself, so the nylon tube stayed, but at least they fitted it directly to the existing outlet on the manifold rather than drilling'n'stuff. While I was there to pick it up I had a good look around the P1 they were PDI'ing at the time. Top dealership Welch's (nr Cambridge)!

Despite Mike's e-mail it's the Ram panel filter I've got, a straight slot-in replacement for the existing one - not an induction kit. Hence my confusion in that thread! I've found that pick-up is noticeably quicker, and a nice side-effect is I'm getting about 1mpg more too, so it should actually pay for itself in the next year! Not the reason for buying it, but a nice side effect

You coming to the Abingdon track day on the 24th Chris? I know Stef's coming...

Cheers
Richard
Old 02 February 2018, 08:54 PM
Taz_devil
Scooby Newbie

Mine is stuck at 11.5-12 psi also, can't seem to sus it out, any ideas guys?
Old 02 February 2018, 09:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair play; that's some thread resurrection!

"#Bring out yer deeead, bring out yer deeead...#"

Last edited by joz8968; 02 February 2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02 February 2018, 09:26 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz_devil
Mine is stuck at 11.5-12 psi also, can't seem to sus it out, any ideas guys?

MY99/00?

Official peak is c.1.03bar/15psi, is it not? Set up a camera phone to record a video of the gauge (so that you can fully concentrate on the driving) as you go through the revs. When you play the video back, check to see if it does momentarily peak at, or near that, value, before settling down.

Last edited by joz8968; 02 February 2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02 February 2018, 11:17 PM
Taz_devil
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by joz8968
MY99/00?

Official peak is c.1.03bar/15psi, is it not? Set up a camera phone to record a video of the gauge (so that you can fully concentrate on the driving) as you go through the revs. When you play the video back, check to see if it does momentarily peak at, or near that, value, before settling down.
its a 2001 bugeye, ADM. Seems to peak at 12 and settle to about 11 ish. Someone has suggested it may be our fuel and having been set up to compensate for this. I run on 98 octane BP ultimate, which is like 93-94 in the US, from what I understand.
Old 05 February 2018, 04:54 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Well MY99/00 Uk turbo is about 0.9 bar target midrange, tailing off significantly towards redline, expect the 2001 is similar. In which case it seems not far off but a little on the low side in the midrange perhaps (only by about 1-2psi though!)

Check boost pipes and restrictor pill is in place.

Its its very hot at the moment over there perhaps struggles to hit target boost.

Don't think fuel quality affects target boost unless it goes limp home leaving with only wastegate pressure, but could pull ignition timing etc.
Old 06 February 2018, 12:13 AM
Taz_devil
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tjmatt
Well MY99/00 Uk turbo is about 0.9 bar target midrange, tailing off significantly towards redline, expect the 2001 is similar. In which case it seems not far off but a little on the low side in the midrange perhaps (only by about 1-2psi though!)

Check boost pipes and restrictor pill is in place.

Its its very hot at the moment over there perhaps struggles to hit target boost.

Don't think fuel quality affects target boost unless it goes limp home leaving with only wastegate pressure, but could pull ignition timing etc.
I have checked the pipes, I can't see anything obviously leaking but haven't actually tested it, I suppose. The restrictor pill is in place. I think I have managed to track down the issue; I bought a very cheap boost gauge, the budget line of a budget line. I didn't notice at first, but the needle didn't return to 0, it was about 2.5 psi below when disconnected. I have since taken it off, pried it all open and tried to fix the needle, but I also noticed there was quite a bit of play in the system, about 10mm, so there is no way it is accurate. After zeroing the needle, I am getting about 13psi max, but my vacuum readings are not the same (now it seems I have a slight vacuum leak, around 15hg at idle). the needle STILL does not return to zero and wanders around. So I will pay a little extra this time, hopefully for a more accurate gauge