Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

R/H Head, lower cam seal pops out, replaced with new, now top one is out, wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2003, 08:17 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as title, posted this a few weeks back.

it all started when my exhaust manifold set alight. anyway to cut it short, the lower (exhaust) cam seal in the r/h head had popped out allowing oil to seap out of the head and drip onto the hot exhaust.
the seal was only fitted 6000miles ago when i rebuilt the engine. however, i replaced the seal with a new subaru one.

2wks later (the other day) exhaust set alight while driving along....again [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

i was thinking the the same seal had come out again, but ive removed the cambelt cover to inspect and it turns out its the upper (inlet) cam seal that has popped out now.

what the hell is going on? am i correct assuming the breather for that head may be blocked causing the head to pressurize?

on the orignal post, a few people replied saying that the seals just stop and oil drips that get past the front cam bearing (ie the seal is not under pressure).
there was also mention that the oil drain hole between the bearing and seal may be blocked.

however, now that it is the other seal that has popped out i am beginning to wonder whether there is a pressure build up inside the head.

any suggestions? also, engine happens to be out of the car now, so easy to make and inspections etc.

thanks
ian
Old 09 November 2003, 06:01 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone?