Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hints and tips please - (exhaust fitting)

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 01:17 PM
rob588
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I am planning on fitting my new scoobysport full exhaust system tomorrow. Can anyone give me any hints and tips on making the whole job easier?? The SS backbox is in place already so it is the downpipe and center to be done.

Also (yes i am thick) what is a restrictor, and will I need one?

Cheers

Rob (MY00 with Tek1)
Old 24 September 2002, 02:02 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob,
had s/sport b.box already on mine and then fitted Magnex twin dump and straight thru center section.The heat shield is a pig to get off as most nuts end up seizing so try and spray it will releasing fliud a bit b4 undoing them.
I put my car on ramps to be able to slide underneath to get at the top d/pipe bolts and to my suprise although awkward to get to they all came undone with ease.
Also when i put the center on i had to wangle the rear box off the rubber mounts to get the section to meet and have some play,this was the part i couldve done with another person to tighten the front bolts at the same time as the b/box.but in the end it was done without to much time,45 mins for the center and 2hrs for the d/pipe.
Hope this helped have fun
Gene
Old 25 September 2002, 03:40 AM
velryba
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with gene

I used nearly whole battle of WD40 on those nuts
1st I sprayed it 3 days before the job, after that I had to drive somewhere and the smell of burning WD40 makes you open all windows and nodding at people as they wave at you for loooootsa smoke

Before you unscrew the sensor from the OE d/pipe there is a plug to disconnect the wires. I didn't see it in the 1st place and nearly twisted of the fires....

Mine is MY95 and yes the longest time takes to put the heat shield back on. Also I had to cut it and band it a LOT as the SS d/pipe is much wider.
Watch out for the bottom heat shield as it uses the same screw hole on the right hand side as the top heat shield.

Yes you need to go under the car, I used metal stands borrowed from a friend’s garage.

Well I did 1st back box on that middle section then I've fitted d/pipe and joined it to the middle section. No problems here as the joint between BB and MS are fixed but between MS and DP has springs.

Hope you already have all gaskets as I had a trouble to get the one between DP and MS.

!!!!! Start early as I’ve end up finishing with a torch and you really don't want to do that !!!!!!!

Good luck and have fun. The satisfaction of doing it by your self is great.

Robert