Gear Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2018, 03:04 PM
terzo98
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gear Engagement

Gears not engaging

I had done about 40 motorway miles and then a couple of miles on a duelled A road. I went on to a roundabout and when leaving the roundabout went to change up a gear to accelerate away. Came out of gear into neutral and then could not get into another gear. Coasted safely to side of road and attempted to get the car into gear without success.
Let car sit for a while with engine switched on but could still not engage any gear. Clutch pedal did feel a little different but still had pressure to push pedal back up.
Switched engine off and attempted to get into gear with engine off. It went in to gear without a problem. Started car back up and it was completely back to normal!!!!!
Got home without any further problems. Checked all fluid levels and all is good.

Has anyone had any experience of this happening?

Car 2009 STI Standard 31K
Weather conditions Heavy Rain

Thanks
Old 03 April 2018, 07:50 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the brake fluid in the clutch hydraulic system hasn't been changed for a while it could have a high water content due to brake fluid being hygroscopic. The heat in the engine bay can then cause the fluid to boil and impare pressure created at the slave cylinder, hence the clutch pressure plate does not fully disengage pressure on the friction disc.
Equally it could be the beginning of a failing pressure plate or an issue with the release bearing, but considering the latter 2 are major work to inspect I would change your fluid and see how it goes.....by far the cheapest option.
Old 03 April 2018, 07:53 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check behind the rubber boot on the clutch master cylinder for any sign of leakage, it's a good indication of the cylinder seals beginning to fail.
Old 04 April 2018, 06:07 AM
terzo98
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your reply.
I did think of the clutch fluid boiling but discounted it because of the weather conditions and ambient temperature.
However the fact that the system returned to "normal" after cooling a little tends to support that theory.
I will take your advice and change the fluid and see if it happens again.

Thanks