Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DCCD Controller for Rallying

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2017, 11:48 AM
Griblands
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DCCD Controller for Rallying

I use my Impreza for Gravel Rallying. Occasionally I may use it on tarmac, but mostly gravel events.

I am just changing the Non-DCCD 6-Speed Gearbox for a DCCD 6-Speed so will need a DCCD Controller.

Does anyone on here have experience of using an aftermarket DCCD Controller in competition? There appears to be a big difference between a £120 unit from LDPerformance and $600 unit from DCCDPro.

I know the difference between all the features but in reality I managed without an active diff for a long time and a lot of the features seem overkill to me, and I guess I would end up setting it and leaving it.

Any opinions?

Many thanks,

Gary
Old 18 November 2017, 07:16 PM
Griblands
Scooby Regular

Am I asking this question on the wrong forum?

Is this forum mainly ‘fast road’ drivers?
Old 18 November 2017, 07:25 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your probably going to find tarmac and track experience here but there's a few.

I've got a dccdpro which I really rate! The g sensor splits the corner into segments and plays the diff accordingly. You can then use the thumb wheel to adjust how active it is.

Mapdccd is a more recent beasty. Apparently all the functionality of dccdpro but you can also fettle the maps with a laptop. Might be worth a look.
Old 18 November 2017, 08:11 PM
Griblands
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Your probably going to find tarmac and track experience here but there's a few.

I've got a dccdpro which I really rate! The g sensor splits the corner into segments and plays the diff accordingly. You can then use the thumb wheel to adjust how active it is.

Mapdccd is a more recent beasty. Apparently all the functionality of dccdpro but you can also fettle the maps with a laptop. Might be worth a look.
Thanks for the reply. I know how they work but wanted some ‘real world’ feedback.

For example: I have never had a problem with handbrake turns but you would think that it was impossible without disconnecting the Centre Diff if you believe everything the adverts tell you!

Maybe this is a question for the Rally forums?
Old 18 November 2017, 11:33 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Maybe your attitude has something to do with it. A lot of knowledgeable people on here and other forums but a bit more courtesy would help. We have a couple of MAPDCCD's installed can't fault them at all. Personally think they are about the best stand alone units you can get and not overpriced either.
Old 23 November 2017, 02:07 AM
RJames1993
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the DCCD systems are the same ones homologated for rally, they have a wire that automatically uncouples the centre diff when the handbrake is pulled.

There is a connection with DCCDPro to continue this functionality, and I'm sure MapDCCD will have one as well as its built into the DCCD transmissions.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:48 AM
Griblands
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your input.

I have now bought an LDPerformance DCCD Controller so will see how I get on.

https://ldperformance.co.uk/product/dccd-controller/
Old 23 November 2017, 10:28 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

I have used a MAPDCCD and it is superb probably the best one on the market, I had used a Neetronics before that and I thought it was ok until I changed. My car was 551BHP at the wheels and weighed 1068kg. I used it for hills and sprints and SuperLap Scotland (time attack type event)
Old 24 November 2017, 10:24 AM
Griblands
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
I have used a MAPDCCD and it is superb probably the best one on the market, I had used a Neetronics before that and I thought it was ok until I changed. My car was 551BHP at the wheels and weighed 1068kg. I used it for hills and sprints and SuperLap Scotland (time attack type event)
Thank you Arch.

Have you re-programmed it with bespoke maps or do you just leave it to 'do it's own thing??'

What I am really trying to find out is if the advanced technical features are used in 'real life' - Hence the reason why I have gone for pretty much the cheapest / simplest version as I have managed without an active diff until now so my assumption is that even being able to change the traction balance front to rear will probably seem amazing!

I have been testing in a Prodrive Impreza and noticed that the driver never changed the active diff setting (thumbwheel only) until a driveshaft broke and he needed to make other wheels drive to get back.
Old 24 November 2017, 11:41 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Surely for rallying you want the Alcatek Dccd controller. That's what a lot of the top club level boys are using
Old 24 November 2017, 12:21 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

You can get different maps if you go direct to them I know they have don even a map that utilises a steering angle input. As well as the four maps that come with it you gain also alter the gain for each map which can make a huge difference in how it performs.
I know even the Syvecs control strategies don't seem to be as good as the these and are certainly not as easy or quick to adjust in real time

Originally Posted by Griblands
Thank you Arch.

Have you re-programmed it with bespoke maps or do you just leave it to 'do it's own thing??'

What I am really trying to find out is if the advanced technical features are used in 'real life' - Hence the reason why I have gone for pretty much the cheapest / simplest version as I have managed without an active diff until now so my assumption is that even being able to change the traction balance front to rear will probably seem amazing!

I have been testing in a Prodrive Impreza and noticed that the driver never changed the active diff setting (thumbwheel only) until a driveshaft broke and he needed to make other wheels drive to get back.