Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2009 Gearbox Drain Plug Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2016, 02:37 PM
drummog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Gearbox Drain Plug Stuck

Car has done 36k miles 7 years old. It was dealer serviced at 4 years old, 24k miles and the gearbox and diff oil are charged on the service invoice.

I had the car in the air so did the diff but the gearbox drain plug does not want to move. I have the thick M70 or whatever bit.

I did a gearbox oil change in my previous Hawkeye so had the tool and a 10 pack of crush washers handy.

Anyway with a 1.5 mtr long bar I pulled the drain plug to say 150NMand it did not want to loosen, yes I did check it was pulled the right way.

I thought maybe when the gearbox oil was changed in the past the g/b crush washer was lost and maybe they just tightened it until it stopped leaking.

Oil is clean as a whistle from checking the g/b dipstick, therefore do the panel agree to let sleeping dogs lie due to the low mileage.
Old 12 May 2016, 05:15 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by drummog
Car has done 36k miles 7 years old. It was dealer serviced at 4 years old, 24k miles and the gearbox and diff oil are charged on the service invoice.

I had the car in the air so did the diff but the gearbox drain plug does not want to move. I have the thick M70 or whatever bit.

I did a gearbox oil change in my previous Hawkeye so had the tool and a 10 pack of crush washers handy.

Anyway with a 1.5 mtr long bar I pulled the drain plug to say 150NMand it did not want to loosen, yes I did check it was pulled the right way.

I thought maybe when the gearbox oil was changed in the past the g/b crush washer was lost and maybe they just tightened it until it stopped leaking.

Oil is clean as a whistle from checking the g/b dipstick, therefore do the panel agree to let sleeping dogs lie due to the low mileage.
I have had a few like this but always managed to undo them with a half inch drive bar and scaffold tube!
Old 09 November 2017, 07:47 PM
drummog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, decided to change the gearbox oil this month. as above. If I try a scaffold tube, breaker bar and T70 socket and it does not want to move does anyone use a pump that has the guts to suck up the 75W/90 oil.

Make and model of a lift pump that actually works on gearbox oil that anyone has used please.
Old 09 November 2017, 09:02 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Try spraying release fluid at intervals to the drain plug, then try again after giving it time to penatrate, go with the breaker/scafie bar and a good socket.

As you say there is no urgency as oil is clean.