Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Rear driveshafts don't look like they are in properly

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2017, 09:34 PM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear driveshafts don't look like they are in properly

So just changed the diff and gearbox on my classic. It was certainly a job to do on my own. But I thought that the shafts would go in once tighting up the rear struts. But they haven't.

is it a simple case of loosening the diff and easing it down with a jack and slotting them in properly?

any help muchly appreciated
Old 17 October 2017, 06:37 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

You need to grab hold of the shafts and shove them in (as much as that sounds like a dirty joke). Due to the CV joints at either end the shaft is able to lengthen/shorten with suspension movement so you need to push the shaft towards the diff until it cant slide in the CV joint any further and so pushes the joint into the diff. Hope that makes sense.

Gary

p.s. that is a thoroughly filthy diff!

Last edited by GazJenno; 17 October 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 17 October 2017, 10:32 PM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
You need to grab hold of the shafts and shove them in (as much as that sounds like a dirty joke). Due to the CV joints at either end the shaft is able to lengthen/shorten with suspension movement so you need to push the shaft towards the diff until it cant slide in the CV joint any further and so pushes the joint into the diff. Hope that makes sense.

Gary

p.s. that is a thoroughly filthy diff!
Hi yeah that makes sense. Cheers.

yeah the diff could do with wash. It's been sat on a car on someone's drive for 4 years. May get the jet wash underneath this weekend.