Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2001 Forester transmission seems to be Frankensteined?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2017, 07:12 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Forester transmission seems to be Frankensteined?

I have a 2001 Forester, automatic transmission. The transmission died so I got a used one. It has the same part number but the differential box is female so the front drive shafts will insert into it, whereas the transmission I took out had male splined nubs sticking out of the differential.

How many types of drive shafts are there? Can I just buy a pair of drive shafts that will fit?

I'm having trouble posting photos now, I'll try in a reply.
Old 24 September 2017, 07:25 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

This is the new transmission.

This is the old, original, transmission. Both have part number TZ1A3ZC2AA-P8 on them.

The part number is on the transmission. There drive shafts are on the front differential which is attached to the transmission.
Old 24 September 2017, 07:41 PM
die-tryin
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen one up close so don't know. But you might be able to remove the pice of shaft seen it on some things its just a few inches of splined shaft if there is a screw tread in the end try putting a bolt in and pulling might need a slid hammer though
Old 24 September 2017, 07:42 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Can the drive shaft running through diff in the old box, be swapped into the replacment box.
Old 24 September 2017, 07:54 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

No. The two differentials are completely different. In the old one, there is not just one shaft going through it. I opened it up, and had a look.
Old 24 September 2017, 09:41 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

You can remove the stub shafts from the old box.
we use a slide hammer that bolts through the locking pin hole.
Old 24 September 2017, 10:06 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Those bearings are pressed on, so I imagine I'll have to do some work to get the shaft out...
Old 24 September 2017, 10:12 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brianfoleynm
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Those bearings are pressed on, so I imagine I'll have to do some work to get the shaft out...
what bearings??
I was meaning you can use a slide hammer and pull the stub shafts out either side of the box...no need for any bearing removal.
Old 24 September 2017, 11:47 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

The differential output shaft rotates, on bearings. On each side there is a bearing surface that screws in to preload pressure onto those main bearings. The inner bearings are pressed onto the output shaft.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:59 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
You can remove the stub shafts from the old box.
we use a slide hammer that bolts through the locking pin hole.
The stub shafts pull out similar to the original driveshafts with just the circlip (item 10) retaining them, - hence the slide hammer

Last edited by Don Clark; 25 September 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:55 AM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

As me and Don have said just pull the shafts out, you don't need to touch the bearings
Old 25 September 2017, 02:33 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

But I won't be able to pound the shaft into the transmission with the circlip on it. And don't I have a loose circlip floating around in the new (used, new to me) transmission from when the salvage yard yanked the shafts out?

If I pull the old shafts out with a slide hammer, and pound them into the new one, what are my odds of doing it well enough that this will run for 50k miles or so? It seems to me that having the old circlips floating around in there, and not having any circlip retaining the shafts that I pound in, may not be a good thing. Also worried about damaging the oil seals or other things and not ending up with a good working differential.

Last edited by brianfoleynm; 25 September 2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:23 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

It would appear that some diffs have stub shafts held in with circlips, inside the diff housing, and others with snap ring type circlips.

circlip

snap ring

circlip needs the diff dismantled to remove
snap ring comes out with stub shaft

Previous diagram posted above shows snap rings (by shafts) which is what appears to be specified for a 2001 US Forester.

Page from which diagram came...... along with part numbers

http://opposedforces.com/parts/fores..._transmission/

Part number for the snap ring is 805329010 which looks like this

The manual also states that the snap ring is fitted to the stub shaft before fitting to the diff

You may need to do some more investigation into what you have fitted and what you have bought.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:45 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

You may also be better off asking on subaruforester.org which is more US/CAN orientated.
Old 25 September 2017, 06:56 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks! I would say it has to the snap ring and not the circlip, because the auto salvage folks who sold me this used transmission obviously yanked the stubs out of the differential without taking it apart at all. I suspect they just used brute force with a pry bar, but who knows. But at any rate, what I want now is a working transmission and I am doubting I can pound the stubs into the "new" transmission and mane it work well, with no ring or clip to hold the stubs in, and most likely the old clips floating around in there waiting to cause trouble.

So, what should I ask of the folks who sold me the unusable transmission? I paid $700 for something I cannot use. Is it reasonable to ask for my money back?
Old 26 September 2017, 12:10 AM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

The salvage yard that sold me the transmission says I can just use the other type of Subaru drive shaft, that goes into the differential.

This type of Subaru drive shaft has a splined (male) shaft on both ends. The left end in this photo will insert into the differential.

Can anyone tell me if this will work? If so, are there more than two different types/sizes of front drive shafts so I need to figure out which one to order? Or are there just two types?

The part number is the same on both.

Last edited by brianfoleynm; 26 September 2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add a photo
Old 30 October 2017, 04:03 PM
brianfoleynm
Scooby Newbie

I was able to install the other type of drive shaft, from a 2004 Impreza, into the Forester, but I had to take apart more of the front end in order to get the wheel end far enough away from the transmission to be able to slide it in on both ends. It was a major pain. I have not got the vehicle down off the block and running yet, too many other things to work on. I will post again if I ever get this thing actually running on the road.