Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Slipping drive...not clutch

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2017, 04:46 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping drive...not clutch

Driving on the weekend I exited a roundabout in second gear and the revs suddenly increased greater than the road speed but without the clutch in. Driving along in every gear, as I accelerated, the revs increased with load on the throttle and I had to back off and feather the accelerator or it would appear to slip and overrev.

Local garage have changed the clutch for a new Excedy one but it is still doing the same. When accelerating, too much throttle makes it overrev and not increase speed as though you engage the clutch.

The garage think it must now be something in the gear box and that it is not sending drive to all the wheels. They are proposing to take the gearbox out to send it to be inspected. What are the possible causes for this? Is there a transfer box in the gear box that can fail? Can it be reconditioned?

Thanks.
Old 14 June 2017, 11:21 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Rear drive shaft not all the way in the diff can cause it
Old 15 June 2017, 07:16 AM
Ben_r1
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As said above I had a similar problem and suspected clutch was at fault, the front driveshaft had come out of it's outer joint.
Old 19 June 2017, 07:49 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. Subaru dealer have come back to me and diagnosed the rear nearside driveshaft connector / joint. Apparently there are no parts in the uk so it is having to come over from Japan.

At least it's not gearbox or worse. Looks like you were spot on Ben.

Last edited by Kempo; 14 August 2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Rear driveshaft not the front