Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

364BHP/350+ft/lbs 2003 Estate - Which Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2017, 04:28 AM
Pigman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 364BHP/350+ft/lbs 2003 Estate - Which Clutch

My Blobeye estate currently has a slipping Exedy paddle clutch, only on high boost in high gears. I don't like (actually, I hate) the paddle clutch, so want to replace it with something more road friendly.

I generally don't launch the car, in fact, I don't think I have ever launched it in the 18 months I've had it, but I do use all the power on overtaking. :-)

Car is fully forged, 2.1 stroker, so 364BHP is still modest, so if I get bug for more power, it could go up.

I'm looking at stage 2 clutches and would appreciate recommendations. I've been looking at CC, RTS, Exedy Pink Box etc.

What would you put in? But remember, no paddles please.
Old 24 May 2017, 06:32 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend the competition clutch stage 2, have had it fitted over a year now and it feels similar to a standard clutch. Running 458/430 fine. I found scoobyworx the cheapest to buy it from.
Old 24 May 2017, 08:14 AM
Pigman
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks imprezagaz

Thanks imprezagaz

I did look through some old threads on this issue and CC seems a popular choice, along with Exedy Pink Box. Anyone else second imprezagaz, or has alternative thoughts?
Old 24 May 2017, 10:49 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

CC stage 2 here also. Only just got it back from forged build - holding the higher power fine so far. Slightly stiffer than stock, but v happy with it
Old 24 May 2017, 11:24 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an act clutch bought from AS performance. Previously had a paddle clutch and hated it for day to day use. ACT clutch is rated to 505 ft/lb and has worked perfect for over a year.
Currently running about 500/470. Wasn't expensive either. Nice and smooth even when stuck in traffic
Old 26 May 2017, 08:03 AM
Pigman
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your responses. Alyn at AS Performance is sorting out all my brake requirements and for my clutch, is suggesting Exedy Pink Box or Extreme. It's either one of these, or CC from Scoobyworx.

Are all of these good options?
Old 26 May 2017, 08:08 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did look at the pink box but ended up choosing the cc as it was higher rated power wise. Just depends how far your wanting to go really.
Old 26 May 2017, 09:06 AM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
I did look at the pink box but ended up choosing the cc as it was higher rated power wise. Just depends how far your wanting to go really.
Same reason I chose the CC - it gives more headroom if you do up the power later.
Old 26 May 2017, 09:35 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigman
Thanks for your responses. Alyn at AS Performance is sorting out all my brake requirements and for my clutch, is suggesting Exedy Pink Box or Extreme. It's either one of these, or CC from Scoobyworx.

Are all of these good options?
Is it 5 or 6 speed?
Trev
Old 26 May 2017, 02:45 PM
Pigman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
Is it 5 or 6 speed?
Trev
It's a 5 speed (WRX estate, thought they were all 5)
Old 26 May 2017, 05:04 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

they are but some have been converted to 6 speed.
The 5 speed Exedy pink box would probably be ok but for not much more. I would shoot a tad higher personally ( I don't know the CC stage 2 but has been recommended). The gearbox is a limiting factor, so it's going to be a personal choice on how far you want to go/ looking after the gearbox.
Trev
Old 26 May 2017, 05:42 PM
Pigman
Scooby Newbie

The 5 speed Exedy pink box would probably be ok but for not much more. I would shoot a tad higher personally ( I don't know the CC stage 2 but has been recommended). The gearbox is a limiting factor, so it's going to be a personal choice on how far you want to go/ looking after the gearbox.
Trev
I haven't and don't intend to launch the car. I do use all the power when overtaking however. Will most likely keep it at 364BHP, as I get the feeling that the 5 speed box is the limiting factor. I don't mind the clutch being heavy, but I don't like the on/off nature of the paddle clutch that's in it. Existing clutch is an Exedy paddle clutch and I've put up with it and got used to it in the 18 months that I've had the car.

Sounds very much like CC might be the way to go. Last thing I want is to have to change it within 20k miles. Hopefully I'd get 40k out of the CC with no launches, but just hard acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gears, now and again. :-)
Old 26 May 2017, 05:45 PM
Pigman
Scooby Newbie

Trev
That raises another possibility. I guess there will be threads on here if I look, but how much is involved in a 6 speed conversion?

Different clutch, rear diff? How much work? And for anyone who's done it, how cheaply did you manage to do it?
Old 27 May 2017, 07:54 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

I was charged labour £600+vat, the same car, that's at a reputable garage, so must be cheaper alternatives. On the wagon everything behind the gearbox is replaced, prop, diff, drive shafts and hubs/drums. Front drive shafts fit ok, I think you can use the 5 speed clutch but starter motor needs changing if switching to 6speed.
The conversion is going to cost either side of £2k in parts depending on what's available. My JDM box etc came out at just under 2.5k from Jap Perfomance parts, I think they're in Kent, this is six years ago and the job was good but did cost.
The JDM box has shorter gear ratio's on 5/6 over the UK sixspeed so long runs can feel hard work and fuel economy is hit, so uk box is best if you can get a good one.
I wouldn't fix it until it breaks, you'll miss the long 5th gear you have. The Blobeye gearbox is stonger than you might expect and with luck could last.
Trev