Wrx 2010 Hard pedal even after replacing clutch with exedy kit

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2016, 10:12 PM
Delano
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrx 2010 Hard pedal even after replacing clutch with exedy kit

Hi guys,
I was having difficulty in engaging the clutch on my 2010 wrx with 71k miles on it, so decided to have the clutch replaced. The guy who sold me the clutch recommended an exedy stage 1 clutch fjk2034 kit. My friend (Vauxhall trained technician) replaced the clutch kit. Now to our surprise there was a slight improvement and he himself was not happy with how hard it was.

Now. Is a Wrx clutch always hard? Keeping in mind I'm a average built and do not work out. 😁

Is there any thing else I could do to soften the clutch like change the clutch master?

Is a exedy stage 1 clutch hard? Would it have made more sense to have got a standard exedy kit or a genuine Subaru part?

Old 20 November 2016, 10:56 PM
P1-Murph
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An Exedy Stage 1 / Pink box clutch kit will have a firmer pedal feel.

This is due to the stronger "Spring" clamping force that the uprated cover plate applies to the friction plate to hold the higher power level that it is designed for...

Not just with Exedy clutch kits, but any uprated clutch kit you will notice a firmer clutch pedal feel.

A genuine Subaru part would just be an Exedy FJK2034 kit in a Subaru box...
Old 21 November 2016, 09:11 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

an FJK2034 is just a std replacement part and should have no impact on the pedal feel........

a release bearing or actuating arm that cant move properly will cause a heavy pedal as will the slave cylinder not working correctly or possibly having old contaminated fluid
Old 21 November 2016, 12:35 PM
Delano
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys form your response. I'm going to have the fluid flushed as advised. Its seems quite brown'ish as compared to the brake fluid.