Building regs for stairs incline

Notices
DIY Household DIY, etc

Building regs for stairs incline

Old 22 September 2010, 06:57 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Default Building regs for stairs incline

I've had plans drawn up for a loft extension about 6 months ago. I'm just playing around with different ideas before I go ahead.

Can anybody tell me what the building regs are for the maximum incline you can have for stairs that lead into a loft conversion?

Thanks
Old 22 September 2010, 10:27 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but you can go pretty steep - for example by using an alternating tread staircase if you're tight on space.

Google will find Approved Documents K and M for you, which have the details in.

If you can make a case for it (eg if it's the only way to fit something in an existing building), Building Control might permit something outside what is normally allowed.
Old 23 September 2010, 08:14 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Think the max pitch is 42 deg, max rise 220mm min going 220mm.

But again prob best confirmed with Building regs approved Doc K.
Old 25 September 2010, 09:56 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

As above, it is 42 degrees.
Old 26 September 2010, 10:49 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I've had a quick read of document K but am a little confused.

The height of my ceiling above the floor on my first floor landing is about 8 feet 9 inches The horizontal distance in which this height would have to be achieved is about 8feet 5 inches.

So the stairs from my first floor to proposed loft conversion would need to rise 8ft9" and go 8ft5" horizontally. This would be a straight staircase, ie no turns etc.

Would this be allowed?

ps I do already have accepted plans that show a staircase but I'm just playing with different ideas.

Thanks
Old 26 September 2010, 01:05 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler View Post
Thanks, I've had a quick read of document K but am a little confused.

The height of my ceiling above the floor on my first floor landing is about 8 feet 9 inches The horizontal distance in which this height would have to be achieved is about 8feet 5 inches.

So the stairs from my first floor to proposed loft conversion would need to rise 8ft9" and go 8ft5" horizontally. This would be a straight staircase, ie no turns etc.

Would this be allowed?

ps I do already have accepted plans that show a staircase but I'm just playing with different ideas.

Thanks
That angle is about 43.5 degrees with those measurements.

That grade is 1:105.

These numbers above have been rounded up, as i had to convert from feet to MM so might be slightly different.

You would have to be very unlucky to get an inspector that would not accept that (or even notice for that matter).

Aaron
Old 29 September 2010, 11:37 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478 View Post
That angle is about 43.5 degrees with those measurements.

That grade is 1:105.

These numbers above have been rounded up, as i had to convert from feet to MM so might be slightly different.

You would have to be very unlucky to get an inspector that would not accept that (or even notice for that matter).

Aaron

Thanks Aaron.

I've measured again more accurately and the numbers are height 270cm and horizontal distance 256cm. That should be OK shouldn't it?

Thanks again
Old 29 September 2010, 12:28 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

The old speck use to be 9x7 max if the stair case is not to spec the attic space can not classed as an extra room just a boarded attic
Old 29 September 2010, 12:50 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

depending on how it will be used depends what it will need. Is it gonna be a room used all the time, say a bedroom, or more used as a storage space?

if the latter there is no limit, if the former then speak to your local building control, they will be more of use to you in advising things like that, they have to approve it anyway, so the earlier they are involved the more likley they are to ok it and the less likley it is to go wrong and have to be redone.
Old 29 September 2010, 02:58 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
depending on how it will be used depends what it will need. Is it gonna be a room used all the time, say a bedroom, or more used as a storage space?

if the latter there is no limit, if the former then speak to your local building control, they will be more of use to you in advising things like that, they have to approve it anyway, so the earlier they are involved the more likley they are to ok it and the less likley it is to go wrong and have to be redone.
Tidgy, it will be a proper two bedroom one bathroom loft conversion. As mentioned I do have plans already drawn up (inc building regs) but was just messing around with other options in my head.

thanks
Old 29 September 2010, 05:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the 2m min height needed on the stairs.
Old 29 September 2010, 07:30 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler View Post
Thanks Aaron.

I've measured again more accurately and the numbers are height 270cm and horizontal distance 256cm. That should be OK shouldn't it?

Thanks again
Well i got length 259.08cm and height 271.3cm which is almost exactly the same grade anyway

Your diagonal measurement is 372cm. That'll work out at 12 steps your 12th step being the floor on the new level (that's 220mm X 220mm steps).

You should allow for covering of the stairs too, but if you're starting from floorboard at the bottom and floorboard at the top it shouldn't matter.

The 2m height that has been mentioned is a vertical measurement and not a minimum distance away, just incase you didn't know

What kind of stairs are you having? if you're having the kind you can see through as you walk up, then each step must overlap the previous by 16mm.

As mentioned by Tidgy talk to building control for advice, or ask him/her if they could spare 5 mins and pop round. If you get them onside straight away and gain their trust they will be happy to let minor issues go and be more flexible. I deal with NHBC inspectors all the time and each one has different requirements on certain things, and you wouldn't believe how MUCH different they can be when everyone is supposed to following the same regs It gets on your nerves sometimes, which is generally why we get them to site ask them how they like it to be done.

HTH and sorry to ramble on a bit.

Aaron
Old 02 October 2010, 07:05 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob View Post
Don't forget the 2m min height needed on the stairs.
Thanks mate
Old 02 October 2010, 07:10 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478 View Post
Well i got length 259.08cm and height 271.3cm which is almost exactly the same grade anyway

Your diagonal measurement is 372cm. That'll work out at 12 steps your 12th step being the floor on the new level (that's 220mm X 220mm steps).

You should allow for covering of the stairs too, but if you're starting from floorboard at the bottom and floorboard at the top it shouldn't matter.

The 2m height that has been mentioned is a vertical measurement and not a minimum distance away, just incase you didn't know

What kind of stairs are you having? if you're having the kind you can see through as you walk up, then each step must overlap the previous by 16mm.

As mentioned by Tidgy talk to building control for advice, or ask him/her if they could spare 5 mins and pop round. If you get them onside straight away and gain their trust they will be happy to let minor issues go and be more flexible. I deal with NHBC inspectors all the time and each one has different requirements on certain things, and you wouldn't believe how MUCH different they can be when everyone is supposed to following the same regs It gets on your nerves sometimes, which is generally why we get them to site ask them how they like it to be done.

HTH and sorry to ramble on a bit.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted an idea that what I was thinking of was at least feasible and not way off in terms of what's allowed.

I'll get the architect to readjust the plans once I've thought it all through. The company that will do the work are a local very well established loft conversion company that have a very good working relationship with the local inspectors

Thanks again