Removing grout from tiles? - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

DIY Household DIY, etc

Removing grout from tiles?

Old 30 March 2006, 08:03 PM   #1  
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Default Removing grout from tiles?

Just tiled between the units in our kitchen and it's looking great apart from the fact that i have now washed the tiles down 4 times now and there is still traces of grout on them.The tiles are matt black with a texture,although not porous as the shop said they wouldn't need sealed.

So just wondered if there is any "wonder" chemical that could remove the traces of grout or should i just persevere with the nailbrush and sponge?

Any ideas thankfully welcomed!!
Trucker Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2006, 08:21 PM   #2  
D16GER
Scooby Regular

TBH the grout should have been cleaned off as you applied it. When I am tiling, I apply the grout with a squeegee, then sponge over it. That way the grout fills the holes properly, and the excess has been wiped off. Once left for a short time to dry, it is simply a matter of dry buffing the tiles.

I assume you left the grout to dry before removing? If so, then I think you will need to persevere unfortunately.
D16GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2006, 05:23 AM   #3  
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker Ted
Just tiled between the units in our kitchen and it's looking great apart from the fact that i have now washed the tiles down 4 times now and there is still traces of grout on them.The tiles are matt black with a texture,although not porous as the shop said they wouldn't need sealed.

So just wondered if there is any "wonder" chemical that could remove the traces of grout or should i just persevere with the nailbrush and sponge?

Any ideas thankfully welcomed!!
If you have grout in the 'texture' of the tile, then sorry you just need to continue scrubbing, as D16ger suggests surplus grout should be removed soon after it is applied, especially on textured tiles.

If you have a white 'haze' over them, then this will be grout residue and this can be removed by polishing with a dry clean towel, making sure you keep using a clean section of towel, or by squirting some wd40 on the towel and then polishing - do a test peice first as this will give a slight sheen to the matt tiles to begin with.
yellowvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2006, 06:54 AM   #4  
jjones
Scooby Regular

hydrochloric acid (spirits of salts) from your local hardware store (32% ish strength).

do a test patch first.

make sure you have eye/hand protection and plenty of ventilation.

only thing that shifted grout off my slate bathroom floor tiles.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2006, 03:10 PM   #5  
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys,i did remove the worst of the grout at the time and its just the residue thats left!
The wife was at the tile shop today and came back with a solution which is made up of 30% phophoric acid which should do the trick!! I can see the idea of the wd 40 as that should stop them drying white ,so may give that a go after the acid!!

thanks again
Trucker Ted is offline   Reply With Quote