Cavity wall insulation

Notices
DIY Household DIY, etc

Cavity wall insulation

Old 29 March 2006, 08:51 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Default Cavity wall insulation

Is it worth doing on a house thats 6 years old?
Whats the best type, whats the rough cost for a 4 bed detached and can you get a grant.
Thanks
kev
Old 29 March 2006, 09:08 PM
Silver Scooby Sport

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
can you get a grant
It was all going well until you asked that Kev

Seriously though... I think you will find a grant is available... not sure if it is part of full though. Try the one stop shop ( rates office)
Old 29 March 2006, 09:32 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Our Council are letting everyone have it done for 100, if you have a pensioner or a person claiming benefits living there its free...

I'd go an enquire, after looking into it myself I decided against it though.
Old 29 March 2006, 09:51 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

We had it done to our last house, and whilst it kept things warmer, in hindsight i would not have had it done.... i now have a 2yr old house, and will never gert it done to this one..... a 6 yr old house will already have some form of insulation in the cavity, so you wouldn't see the huge difference that there would be if the house were older anyway... best put another layer of that horrible fibreglass stuff in the loft!!
Old 29 March 2006, 10:00 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

RON - why not ?

I have a 40 year old house and have been thinking about it....
Old 30 March 2006, 12:41 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
RON - why not ?

I have a 40 year old house and have been thinking about it....
Probably because it would take the next 10 years before it actually pays for itself, then you'll see a saving
Old 30 March 2006, 10:35 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Like RON said, a 6 year old house will already have some insulation in the cavity. Having more put in may be a bad idea, as it could cause problems; the insulation that's in (asuming it's partial fill) should have been designed to avoid build up of moisture in the wall (interstitial condensation if you want the really technical term ).

Of course, if the builder used full fill insulation, there's nowhere to put anymore anyway.

As bob269 says, retro-fit cavity insulation has a long break even period to it. In some cases, it will *never* pay for itself.

John.
Old 30 March 2006, 11:15 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

The House is a block and brick build with thermolite blocks and dot and dab finnish on the inside, there is no cavity wall insulation,efectivly there are two cavities the main one and asmall one between the block and plaster board so do i need it? I understand that the house needs to breathe will the insulation stop this.
Old 30 March 2006, 04:51 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

kev speek to prichy from caldicot he had his done it didnt make one bit of differance,but i think the company he used ripped him off.
Old 30 March 2006, 06:23 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Right, my biggest reason for not having it again would be damp, the house we were in already had issues before the cavities were filled, but once it was done the problems just got worse..... the part of the house that was done was built in 1955, to well.... not a very high standard, although things have changed massively since then, there is no membrane in the floor, the damp course is below floor level, so basically useless...

But anyway, getting back to the point of wether it's worth it on a 6yr old house..... i am 99% confident that aswell as thermolite blocks, there will almost certainly be something, (probably 1inch polystyrene) fixed to the inner side of the cavity.... my personal thoughts are that it would not be a good idea to do it to your house, for example, do you know what type of filling material they would use..?? do you know if there are any electrical cables running in your cavities..?? polystyrene for example will eat the insualation off of modern cables, leaving bare wires!!

Anyways..... it's up to you, it's your house!!
Old 31 March 2006, 06:28 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

[quote=RON]Right, my biggest reason for not having it again would be damp, the house we were in already had issues before the cavities were filled, but once it was done the problems just got worse..... the part of the house that was done was built in 1955, to well.... not a very high standard, although things have changed massively since then, there is no membrane in the floor, the damp course is below floor level, so basically useless...

But anyway, getting back to the point of wether it's worth it on a 6yr old house..... i am 99% confident that aswell as thermolite blocks, there will almost certainly be something, (probably 1inch polystyrene) fixed to the inner side of the cavity.... my personal thoughts are that it would not be a good idea to do it to your house, for example, do you know what type of filling material they would use..?? do you know if there are any electrical cables running in your cavities..?? polystyrene for example will eat the insualation off of modern cables, leaving bare wires!!

Thanks for that, there is deffo No cavity wall insulation fitted , i know because i watched them build the house. I fully understand your concerns about damp i have them as well and i did not know that polystyrene eats the insulation off cables, all in all it looks like not worth the bother i just wonderd if i could save a few quid off my heating bills.
kev
Old 31 March 2006, 07:08 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

As some mentioned, double up on your loft insulation, cheap, easy, and very noticeable