HOTPOINT WMEF742GUK. Continually breaking drum paddle lifters ! - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

DIY Household DIY, etc

HOTPOINT WMEF742GUK. Continually breaking drum paddle lifters !

Old 23 December 2014, 09:12 AM   #1
jbl
Scooby Regular

Question HOTPOINT WMEF742GUK. Continually breaking drum paddle lifters !

We have a HOTPOINT WMEF742GUK washing machine, about 3 yrs old. Works fine, washes well, no issues Ö. until now.
Over the past 6 weeks it has snapped off eight of the drum paddle lifters (these are the three plastic bars fitted inside the drum to move the clothes around). They are just a slide and clip fit but the little lugs on them keep breaking and the bar falls away from the drum.
There has been no extra washing, just wife and self, no extra loads, all as it has been from when we got the machine.
I keep buying replacement ones and fitting them, yes they are fitted correctly but a wash later and another has snapped.
Something must be wrong.
If anyone has an idea then please let me know and we can get someone in to sort it.
Thanks
Brian.
jbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 12:29 PM   #2
alcazar
Orange Club

Are you buying genuine Hotpoint ones, or generic ones>

The reason I ask is that my NEFF fan oven eats generic fan oven elements, whereas a genuine NEFF one lasts years.
alcazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
jbl
Scooby Regular

Smile

Using ebay generic ones and they are breaking so I have now ordered genuine ones (Hotpoint profits now trebled) and will see if they are a better fit. The local repair man said that they do need to sit tight flush to the drum otherwise the clothes can pull them off.
Cheers
Brian.
Old 23 December 2014, 03:17 PM   #4
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Try espares for genuine white goods parts - surprising what they stock
scoobyskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 09:07 PM   #5
albob
Scooby Regular

Are the little plastic 'locating' lugs breaking off ?? - if so, this usually caused by 'foreign' objects (coins)rattling around in the tub and breaking them .

If it is just the whole paddle dropping off again (intact) = incorrect fitting

EDIT - just re-read yr post -- broken lugs = foreign object damage

Last edited by albob; 23 December 2014 at 09:09 PM.
albob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 11:15 PM   #6
jbl
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by albob View Post
Are the little plastic 'locating' lugs breaking off ?? - if so, this usually caused by 'foreign' objects (coins)rattling around in the tub and breaking them .

If it is just the whole paddle dropping off again (intact) = incorrect fitting

EDIT - just re-read yr post -- broken lugs = foreign object damage
Yes the little lugs are breaking, almost as if something is hitting them from the other side or extreme force from the clothes.
There are definitely no coins in the pockets or anything else that could be called a foreign object. Its the same style and type of clothes being washed in exactly the same manner. Same as from when the machine was new.
Is it possible that something is caught/trapped between the drum and its outer skin ? I suppose there must be a filter somewhere so no harm in looking/cleaning that. When the drum is turned by hand though there is no noise, no sound of anything being caught and catching the lugs.
A mystery.
Cheers for the comments.
Brian.
Old 24 December 2014, 09:31 AM   #7
jbl
Scooby Regular

I cleaned the filter at the bottom/front of the washer, found a plastic curtain hook in it !
I will see what happens when new paddles are fitted.
Thanks all.
Brian.
Old 24 December 2014, 10:09 AM   #8
albob
Scooby Regular

you are correct in thinking something is in between the metal drum and the plastic tub. I doubt the curtain hook is the problem tho' - it needs something metallic/solid to break the lugs.

When I was fixing washing machines it was nearly always coins doing the damage. They only move when the machine is spinning, making an intermittent 'clattering' sound. Small ones end up in the filter - bigger ones hang aroung longer

Next time one comes off, you could try getting a torch and looking through the hole in the drum and see if anything is lying in the bottom of the tub...
Old 24 December 2014, 10:42 AM   #9
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thanks albob, didn't think about looking through the hole, I will next time.
We always wash overnight on the cheap rate so I don't hear the machine although when wife does the rinse/clean on a Monday morning I have not heard any rattles but will listen more carefully next time.
Cheers
Brian.

Last edited by jbl; 24 December 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 24 December 2014, 03:33 PM   #10
jbl
Scooby Regular

OK, after Chablis and Port…..
Removed the one that is loose and got the torch. I could see something stuck in the outer drum drain outlet. A bit of prodding and long nosed pliers and I have a piece of curved stainless metal. After umpteen years of married life I realise just what it is and wife confirms..underwire from a bra.
So hopefully that is it and now no more problems, will wait and see.
Once again 'Thanks All'.
Cheers
Brian.
Old 24 December 2014, 04:02 PM   #11
albob
Scooby Regular

you would have thought she would have realised one 'side' was lower than the other !
Old 23 November 2015, 02:39 PM   #12
wygigs
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up What a coincidence

Guys - thank you for the information and also to the last post - made my day! I have signed up specifically to reply.

I told my wife about this thread and her instant reaction was "I don't wear underwired bra's" (I think she missed the point really). So I had a good look through the hole in the drum, prodded around a bit, and managed to pull out a piece of wire. Obviously, somebody has been breaking into our house to do washing, because it certainly looked like an underwire from a bra to me! Freaky coincidence or common problem?

I have ordered some more risers of ebay (£6.45 for 3). The last lot lasted less than 1 week. I'll post again if the new risers break, but if I don't post and you have the same problem, look for a bra wire in your drum (not often you get to say that and mean it)

Thanks again
wygigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 02:47 PM   #13
johned
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem with our hotpoint washer and after replacing a number of plastic lifters went out and bought a bosch washer with the lifters being part of the drum so no plastic bits to come loose.PS no bra wires involved.
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 05:08 PM   #14
alcazar
Orange Club

I'd never have another Hotpoint, Italian rubbish, built down to a price now.

Bosch or AEG since I can't afford Miele.
alcazar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 10:18 PM   #15
johned
Scooby Regular

I would not touch another hotpoint as the first we had many years ago lasted 17 years then we bought another that lasted 13 months.
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:40 PM   #16
Iadmitiamguilty
Scooby Newbie

Default But how do i get it out??

Yes i am a woman a thank god i come across this thread as having the same issue as i read the post about wife's bra i suddenly realised 2 days ago my bra came out only with one of the underwire in it. So had a goid look and BINGO! I can see it but my tweezers aren't long enough what did u use to get it out??
Iadmitiamguilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:56 PM   #17
albob
Scooby Regular

I use long-nosed pliers - but you need a bit of 'room' to use them..

a 'telescopic' magnet device also work well

Sometimes these work their way into the sump by themselves...
Old 26 May 2016, 04:16 PM   #18
Iadmitiamguilty
Scooby Newbie

Thanks. I know nothing about washing machine. I can see through the holes of the paddles as it's come off and can see that the underwire is in wedged in a some sort of a drain hole and only about 3 cm sticks out. Do i push it down completely?
Iadmitiamguilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:02 PM   #19
albob
Scooby Regular

that would be the sump hose. The simplest thing to do would be to disconnect the hose (either by going in the back of the machine or by tipping it on its back) and fishing the wire out.

Which is easy for me to say as an engineer -- don't do it if you are not sure what you are doing.....

Having said that - the wire may go further down the sump hose by itself as you do more washes
Old 19 April 2017, 07:57 AM   #20
Lou900
Scooby Newbie

Default Fix paddles

first thing to do is buy new paddles the get 2 stainless steel u bolts per paddle drill two holes in paddles then if needed in drum bolt from i side of washing machine make sure to measure paddles for u bolt size don't have to much left over inside drum they will never fall off again or an easyer option is to zip tie on the plastic can't take the weight of wet clothes hope this helps
Lou900 is offline   Reply With Quote