Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

ScoobySport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 1999, 11:55 AM
Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok lets See if this works......a question for ScoobySport....

I've currently got a very annoying metal on metal noise coming from under my MY98.
I've recently replaced the standard exhaust with a ScoobySports back box - and thats when the noise started......

Its fine when its cold - no noises at all, but then as it warms up you get a metal on metal sound from under the rear nearside of the car - and it gets more frequent as things get warmer - teh noise occurs when going over uneven roads/bump/manhole covers!!

I've taken a look - and to an unexperienced eye it looks like the new exhaust is hitting the rear drive shaft - its the same noise!!

Here's my theory - I think that the 3 rubber bungs supporting the exhaust may go slack and at bit more elastic when hot, so play more and the exhaust bounces up and down more!! or I need to do something with the 3 rods on the exhaust and bend them out/down or whatever.

Please can you advise what can be done to sort this rather annoying noise.

Cheers, Scott.
Old 25 June 1999, 09:43 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Maybe you need to replace the rubber bits?? I think Power Engineering can supply uprated ones!

Try that, it shouldn't cost too much!

Cheers
Andy
Old 26 June 1999, 04:24 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Shaggy, if you want to uprate the rubber bushes, why not put jubilee clips round them? These will condense the rubber and cost next to nothing.
Old 26 June 1999, 09:54 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys for info - the rubber bits are called isolators or insulators. Be careful about putting things like jubilee clips or tiewaps around them. Dont make them too tight or they will not perform thier function effectively. They are there to isolate the engine vibrations and gas pulse vibrations in the exhaust system from the body side hangers. This decreases as much as possible transmission of this noise into the cabin. - If you're interested!

Mick
Old 28 June 1999, 10:43 AM
Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys - I'll get myself some of those isolators/insulators and see what happens