Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Retrieving Itunes Library...

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2014, 10:13 PM
Mikee
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrieving Itunes Library...

Hi guys/gals,

I'll try to keep this short and sweet!

The pc that stored my old iTunes library died a while back. I was unable to save the hard drive (another story). The old iphone I used to sync with the computer is now used just for music at work as it has 30Gig of music still on it.

I now have a new iTunes library on my netbook and my current iphone works off of that and syncs to it.

Now- the battery in the old iphone gave up on life (and expanded quite dramatically inside the old 3Gs). I have managed to change the battery but in doing so have reset the phone. When I did the initial charge after changing the battery it asked me to sync to iTunes.

I'm worried that if I plug it into my current iTunes (on the netbook) that it will not recognise the library. There is obviously no backup for that phone, only the current one.

So my question is this- is there any way/software that can get the old iTunes library from the old phone?

I'm not a computer or iTunes expert by any means so if you're answering please be gentle!!!

Any help much appreciated peeps.
Old 21 January 2014, 06:47 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get mine off of my old ipod by connecting to a pc with no itunes on it and exploring the device like an external hard drive. You will need to enable hidden and system files to see the itunes directory, copy the tunes to a folder on the pc, install itunes, then add them to the itunes library which picks up all the song details from the idtags. (the songs all get converted to a random 4 digit name on the ipod).
Old 21 January 2014, 01:35 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I read that the phone reset when you changed the battery.

Commonly the 3GS would back-up to the computer it's associated with, and newer versions of the OS allowed "cloud" backups.

If you had no backups, be it local or online, then I'm afraid the data has gone. It went when the handset reset.

there *may* be a chance with some deep-down forensic full-disk-image and data carving, but to be honest the HFS+X filesystem that the iPhone employs is a bit crap for rebuilding complex data structures - sure, you can carve files from unallocated disk space, but not necessarily rebuild the necessary folder structure they were saved in.

Might be worth a punt if you're desperate?
Old 21 January 2014, 01:39 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Galifrey
the songs all get converted to a random 4 digit name on the ipod
the filenames are actually held in a lookup-table in a manifest file on the iPod. There is software that can read this file and decode the filenames when you copy them out. iExplorer is a good example.
Old 24 January 2014, 08:49 PM
Mikee
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers for the replies guys- will attempt to do something this weekend...wish me luck!