Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop recommendations reccomendations under £250?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2013, 12:48 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop recommendations reccomendations under £250?

Afternoon all.

After years of borrowing a laptop from work I think its about time I bought my own. Now I know nothing about them so only need a bog standard one really for no more than £250.

I always pinch this one from work as its small, compact, boots up quickly and I can use it for work and for watching a film on a boring train journey to London.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...:c|adp:1o1|kw:

I was literally just about to buy one but thought Id ask here just in case there is something better for the same money
Presuming it would already have windows 7 or 8 installed already? Or would I need to buy that too??

Cant you tell I'm a 'noob' at this sort of thing
Old 31 December 2013, 04:38 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Have a look at chromebooks from acer, Samsung. Very cheap, boot up in a few seconds and have a much longer battery life than laptops. Will do office via Google docs even when offline. No viruses at all to worry about and self updates. Apps will be very cheap if not free. Can't beat it for the price.
Old 01 January 2014, 02:24 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Andy, much appreciated.

They seem really cheap and following your suggestion Im going to have a look at one of these:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...74145-pdt.html

Seems peanuts for a new lappy! Cheers
Old 01 January 2014, 02:32 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Daily deals on E-Bay does some good deals a bit over buget but 25% off list

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspir...-/310828466079
Old 02 January 2014, 11:48 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys...to be honest I think I prefer the ACER laptop rather than the cromebook......it may be a bit chunkier but has windows rather than chrome as the OS and I think I'll get on better sticking with what I know

Going shopping with the missus later today so will bob into PC world to check out both
Old 06 January 2014, 08:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a "nearly" new Sony from ebay, £300, 4GB memory core 1.3 and a SSD .. biggest thing for me is the touch screen.

Look about, you find some people selling them after Xmas, who have no idea what they are selling. I bought one for £30 spares or repair, pressed F8 on boot and selected last known, it worked perfectly .. apart from seeing all the water sports pictures he was into beached the keyboard ..
Old 06 January 2014, 10:29 AM
wrx5343
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedymonkey
Afternoon all.

After years of borrowing a laptop from work I think its about time I bought my own. Now I know nothing about them so only need a bog standard one really for no more than £250.

I always pinch this one from work as its small, compact, boots up quickly and I can use it for work and for watching a film on a boring train journey to London.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...:c|adp:1o1|kw:

I was literally just about to buy one but thought Id ask here just in case there is something better for the same money
Presuming it would already have windows 7 or 8 installed already? Or would I need to buy that too??

Cant you tell I'm a 'noob' at this sort of thing
Dont buy this, spec is really not great

2GB ram and 1ghz cpu is not very good

yes it will come with windows

Spend an extra £39 and look at this

http://www.ebuyer.com/612383-hp-pavi...op-e8q17ea-abu
Old 10 January 2014, 07:47 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I just bought a "nearly" new Sony from ebay, £300, 4GB memory core 1.3 and a SSD .. biggest thing for me is the touch screen.

Look about, you find some people selling them after Xmas, who have no idea what they are selling. I bought one for £30 spares or repair, pressed F8 on boot and selected last known, it worked perfectly .. apart from seeing all the water sports pictures he was into beached the keyboard ..
Hang on.....do you mean actual water sports or yellow smelly bedroom water sports

I went to have a look at some laptops in PC world and to be honest I came out even more confused Man it made me feel old as I used to be okay with pc stuff years ago but there was loads to choose from and I found myself looking at some cool looking laptops but they were £500+ and I just don't need one like that....just working on spreadsheets/word/email with the odd film on a pendrive in div x format for boring train journeys