Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox One or PS4?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2013, 11:23 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how Forza compares to Drive Club then I may end up getting an X Box One sooner rather than later, both games look good but which will prove the better.

I'm a little cheesed off with GT as it always seem to be a case of a rehash of the previous game rather than genuine progress, back in the day it was a great game until the likes of Forza made an appearance.
Old 12 November 2013, 11:24 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Plus I really loved the Project Gotham Racing games as well, for me far better than any of the GT series.
Old 13 November 2013, 12:36 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Plus I really loved the Project Gotham Racing games as well, for me far better than any of the GT series.
ditto - were alot better online, for me forza isnt fun. ive gambled on driveclub instead of forza
Old 13 November 2013, 02:42 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Just goes to prove act like a two year old having a temper tantrum to get stuff for free.

Not that I'm jealous or anything...
I believe he only had the PS4 for a couple of hours to make that vid hence why you don’t actually get to see his screen. Smart bit of almost free marketing by Sony though
Old 13 November 2013, 04:04 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

problem i foresee in Forza is, that it wont be much diff than 4. If you watch the interview, he always dances round whats different and always dwells on the fact that it will use cloud heavily, for stats etc.

Im still getting it, but im not pinning high hopes on any differetiators, i,ll see what GT6 is like. Ill hand it to Gt5 it does have lots of new contests coming thick and fast in the specials area, and the cars are in abundance.
Old 13 November 2013, 08:53 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stedee
ditto - were alot better online, for me forza isnt fun. ive gambled on driveclub instead of forza
Good and valid point..... PGR really is fun.
Old 13 November 2013, 08:54 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I believe he only had the PS4 for a couple of hours to make that vid hence why you don’t actually get to see his screen. Smart bit of almost free marketing by Sony though
If you see his latest video the picture becomes clearer on that point.
Old 14 November 2013, 05:27 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

my copy of COD for xbox one is on its way to me today from amazon??? is it normal to release games before the console?
Old 14 November 2013, 07:16 PM
Broomer
Scooby Regular

My PS4 version of Ghosts arrived today.
Old 14 November 2013, 08:35 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

PS4 games were being dispatched last week.
Old 14 November 2013, 10:01 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Had my meeting with Game today to pay for my Xbox One so I can just rock up and walk straight out without the queues on release night and choose my extras walked out paying for Xbox One Day-One edition with special edition pad, Fifa14 on Digital Download, COD Ghosts, Forza 5 extra controller, turtle beach headset as the old turtle beach ones won't work and two plug and play kits!!
Can't wait now.
Also got 2 other Xbox Ones pre-ordered at Sainsbury's with my discount as I'm a van driver for them....flog them on eBay near Xmas

Last edited by EssexJamie; 14 November 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 16 November 2013, 08:29 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I received my pre-dispatch email yesterday. The xBone is ready to go, but would I like any extras? If I was keeping it, I'd have probably plumped for Need For Speed Rivals and a second controller.

I've been watching the PS4s on eBay.com, they are selling for around $670, so $270 profit for not much work.

I also see there have been hardware failures, sp that's also helping my argument to put the xBone on eBay, rather than keeping it. If Sony have faulty units, MS are likely to have faulty units too. The joys of being an early adopter!
Old 16 November 2013, 09:24 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The faulty unit issue is a moot point.... Unless we start hitting the magnitude of the 360 RROD.

Even that was, IMO, managed very well and did not damage the brand in reality.

Let's see what happens over the coming weeks and months.
Old 17 November 2013, 12:14 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Response time is one thing.... processing lag is another, if you're lag sensitive to this kind of thing (which for FPS type games, can be quite crucial).

To get the lowdown on the "gaming" aspect and what works well or best, good to head over to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ for some good info.
Cheers. Good site that run by some chap over on OcUK Forums. Still a minefield. Seems very hard to have a fast screen with great colours. I am not wanting to spent mega bucks just need something a bit bigger (and 27" looks to big if your sitting right next to it which I will be) that has HDMI input and is fast for FPS like BF4. My current Samsung also seems to be 16:10 aspect and consoles are 16:9. Currently thinking I will go for one of these as £163 delivered on amazon:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=17&catid=510
Old 17 November 2013, 12:25 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'd get this one imo. One of the fastest screens around! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=17&catid=510

6ms input lag (forget your response time crap - this is the real measure) which is awesome!

£170 and in stock
Old 18 November 2013, 09:10 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

How else can you find out the actual input lag other than if your lucky enough that there is a decent review showing it?

I do like the idea of trying a VA panel over usual TN. The GW2460HM is actually cheaper this week on OC. Seems same panel with thin bezel and some other bits. That said the 2450HM is only £132 @ Amazon!

Too many choices
Old 18 November 2013, 12:59 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It's good to have choices!

There are several ways of measuring input lag, but recently a robust way has been devised (or should I say product made available) that I believe TFTCENTRAL now use.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=212

Another way is to (I have used this method before) run a time clock on your PC and output to both a CRT and LCD at the same time. You'll see the difference in the time stamp between the two target devices. CRT should be lagfree (assuming you have no processing taking place within the CRT).
Old 18 November 2013, 02:36 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if the G27 wheel / pedals will work with the PS4 or XBO?
Old 18 November 2013, 03:56 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No external controllers have been identified to work, other than new specific products, as of yet.
Old 18 November 2013, 05:32 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
It's good to have choices!

There are several ways of measuring input lag, but recently a robust way has been devised (or should I say product made available) that I believe TFTCENTRAL now use.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=212

Another way is to (I have used this method before) run a time clock on your PC and output to both a CRT and LCD at the same time. You'll see the difference in the time stamp between the two target devices. CRT should be lagfree (assuming you have no processing taking place within the CRT).
I'd like to know before I buy rather than doing my own testing. Its hard to even get a look at a semi decent monitor in the flesh unless you happen to live near someone with a decent showroom like OC, CCL, Scan etc. I went to PC world just to check out size differential between 24 & 27" and the shelves were just full of budget tat.

The only thing putting me off the BENQ is the matte / anti glare screen finish. I am not concerning about reflections or glare as play with the curtains shut.

At the moment I may just stick on my old 22" and then order a 24" as will appreciate the change more than playing on the new one from the off.

Whats the crack with PS4 audio. On the PS3 I just split video via HDMI and audio via the audio av out with an adapter for headphones. Was hoping to do the same for PS4 as always play with headphones, but see conflicting info about whether PS4 has analogue audio out or just digital?
Old 18 November 2013, 06:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Sad XBoner faboy?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...cked-onlookers
Old 18 November 2013, 06:22 PM
Type_R_1984
Scooby Regular

Watched a couple of kids play a ps4 today in game store and to be totally honest I wasn't that impressed. Just a bit clearer that's all and I think that was down to the tv it was being played on.
Old 18 November 2013, 07:49 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Whats the crack with PS4 audio. On the PS3 I just split video via HDMI and audio via the audio av out with an adapter for headphones. Was hoping to do the same for PS4 as always play with headphones, but see conflicting info about whether PS4 has analogue audio out or just digital?
It appears to be digital only as there is no AV port now. Should be easy to over come though, as worse case you'd take analogue out from your TV / monitor to an external amp if required.

You can also buy digital (optical) to analogue convertors if needed.... I'll probably look at one of those as well.
Old 18 November 2013, 07:52 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Same thing happened at the 360 and PS3 launch..... that type of viral video is old hat nowadays!
Old 18 November 2013, 08:44 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Type_R_1984
Watched a couple of kids play a ps4 today in game store and to be totally honest I wasn't that impressed. Just a bit clearer that's all and I think that was down to the tv it was being played on.
which game ????

there are going to be some very nice looking games soon on ps4, check out metal gear solid.
Old 18 November 2013, 09:38 PM
Type_R_1984
Scooby Regular

It was a football game FIFA I think.
Old 19 November 2013, 06:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hardly the best game to be showcasing next gen.
Old 19 November 2013, 07:15 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I think one of the best games I've seen so far is NBA 2K14 on PS4.
Old 19 November 2013, 11:07 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Has anyone else had a dispatch email saying Xbox One delivery will be Thursday?
Old 20 November 2013, 01:14 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Type_R_1984
Sadly, that is what the first gen games will be. Hardly any better visually. But I expect them to improve as they learn how to get more out of them.

It's unlikey any future gens will make the same leap pas we saw from PS1 to PPS2, or to PS3. It's diminishing returns on visuals. However, the amount of stuff on the screen that they can move around with the extra grunt, or bigger levels, or larger amounts of people on online play, that's where the difference will be more obvious.

Quick Reply: XBox One or PS4?