Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Galaxy S3 - What To Upgrade To? Android Only Please

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2013, 10:48 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Galaxy S3 - What To Upgrade To? Android Only Please

At present I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and up until it went away for a replacement screen it has been a good servant. I had one charging issue which was resolved under warranty and that's been about it.

Now in the 6 weeks or so since I have had the handset back (repaired under my insurance given by my bank) it has had 7 occasions where it has suffered the dreaded S3 reboot cycle problem.

Nobody seems to know why it occurs and it just seems to effect a limited amount of handsets, unfortunately mine appears to be one of them. This requires you to wipe all the data and restore your backup - not the end of the world but it's a PITA nonetheless.

I believe my handset is overheating as the back cover is really warm, but I really can't put up with this issue for much longer.

I want to stay with an Android handset - and as such I see my choice as being the HTC One or a Galaxy S4 of such description, I do like the new Activ but as I am going to be buying the handset outright it might just be too expensive for the relatively new Activ model.

So HTC One or Galaxy S4 (I9505)?
Old 17 July 2013, 11:13 PM
Scooby Senior

S4
Old 17 July 2013, 11:50 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Mega
Old 18 July 2013, 12:14 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I presume you've looked through the threads on the xda forum?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1986422

Failing that - S4 time

Or how about the note 2, theyre selling for £360 sim free at the moment as the note 3 is due shortly.

Last edited by Skoobie Dhu; 18 July 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 18 July 2013, 12:29 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Try a different sim.
Old 18 July 2013, 08:18 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

S4.SJ.
Old 18 July 2013, 11:31 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Htc One

S4 is more like an S3s
Old 18 July 2013, 12:39 PM
franny66
Scooby Newbie

S4 all day pal
Old 19 July 2013, 06:21 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

htc one, build quality puts it in a different class to the s4. (s4 is a v good phone though)

Why not wait a month or 2 as the next nexus is rumoured to be released
Old 19 July 2013, 08:17 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Might be announced on the 24th July
Old 19 July 2013, 09:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I jumped ship from a constantly fux0red iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4. Never been that impressed with it. Opted for the Nexus over other Android phones cause I thought as it's got a direct link with Google it would be the quickest to get updated etc.
Unfortunately, at home, if using wifi with the phone still live (i.e. not in flight mode) then the speed is shocking. I'm not the only one with the issue either. Managed to find a 'tweak' which has sped it up a bit but it's still dodgy. Also, this is the only phone that doesn't seem to want to connect via bluetooth to my car.
Been hoping Apple will bring out something a little more innovative but sadly doesn't look likely.
Now waiting to see how the new Nokia Lumia 1050 performs.
Old 19 July 2013, 09:35 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I went yesterday and had a look at the S4 range plus the HTC One, much as I like the HTC offering I think I will be going for an S4 Active due to the water resistance and toughened screen.

I do like the Galaxy Mega but it's a little too Dom Jolly for me, you would look like a complete burk answering it in public.
Old 19 July 2013, 09:37 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Quite like the Note 2 as well, perhaps it might be worth holding off for a couple of weeks to see what is available.

Also the S4 Active is no more expensive than the S4 as well.
Old 19 July 2013, 11:10 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in the same position as you although my S3 has no issues and I just wanted an even bigger screen. I was going to go for a Note II until I saw the Mega which makes the Note II look like an S3 Mini in comparison.

In typical fashion though the S3 has dropped in price sim only to £287 in places making the 2nd hand value of my S3 too low now to bother changing - i've only had it a couple of months.

In the next couple of months quite a few new handsets are due out such as the Nexus and the Note III and a host of Mega type phablets, I think HTC are doing a big version of the One soon.
Old 19 July 2013, 11:34 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Quite like the Note 2 as well,
Love mine, best phone I have ever owned, I have very big hands tho
Old 19 July 2013, 01:09 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Been android since day one got a nexus 4 and it was the biggest letdown ever. Tried an iphone 5 and must admit i do like it. Keep your options open
Old 19 July 2013, 02:42 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Try a new battery in the phone, my HTC Sensation started doing this, and a 5'er later on ebay and its sorted.........
Old 19 July 2013, 02:52 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S4 is overhyped.
i have one and my s2 was better for me.
s4 is too big and full of pointless stuff you dont need.
camera is good though
Old 19 July 2013, 06:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was tempted to get rid of my s3 for an s4 but changed my mind as it doesn't seem quite worth it? I have the same charging issue with my phone but I just changed batteries and charger and the problem was sorted
Old 19 July 2013, 06:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

HTC one

Mart
Old 19 July 2013, 08:29 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Galaxy S4 everyday of the week for me and thats coming from a loyal apple fan lol
Old 20 July 2013, 01:10 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I jumped ship from a constantly fux0red iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4. Never been that impressed with it. Opted for the Nexus over other Android phones cause I thought as it's got a direct link with Google it would be the quickest to get updated etc.
Unfortunately, at home, if using wifi with the phone still live (i.e. not in flight mode) then the speed is shocking. I'm not the only one with the issue either. Managed to find a 'tweak' which has sped it up a bit but it's still dodgy. Also, this is the only phone that doesn't seem to want to connect via bluetooth to my car.
Been hoping Apple will bring out something a little more innovative but sadly doesn't look likely.
Now waiting to see how the new Nokia Lumia 1050 performs.
no probs here with my nexus 4, only slight issue I had was the phone slifing off things due to the glass back but a bumper case sorted that. Connects to both my car stereo and car kit with no issues.
Old 20 July 2013, 08:53 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do like the Galaxy Mega but it's a little too Dom Jolly for me, you would look like a complete burk answering it in public.
The mega isn't that bad when compared to the asus fonepad...

http://uk.asus.com/Tablet/Fonepad/ASUS_Fonepad/

That said its only £170 and could be a useful android tablet with phone capability, but wouldn't want it as a main phone - no rear camera was an odd move?
Old 21 July 2013, 07:10 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

In the end I ordered a sim free S4, Spigen Neo Hybrid case, Spigen Nano Glass protector and SanDisk 64gb Micro SD card.

The reason that I didn't go for the HTC One was down to the fact that it can't use SD cards and I've got a large music collection which will fill the HTC One on board storage, leaving no room for photos and apps.
Old 21 July 2013, 07:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

To be honest I don't see what the big deal about all the build quality issue is? I have had the Galaxy phones from the start and they have all been excellent. The issue people seem to have with say the s3 being plastic is just plain stupid as its a great phone.

I have saw the adds for the HTC one saying its made from one piece of aluminium which means you then need to cover it in a case as if you drop it its going to hurt that phone?

I buy a phone for what it can do and not it its made of glass or feels better etc etc, once a case goes on the phone its the same as the rest. I have a UAG case on my s3 and I presume apart from the size it will feel exactly like an iphone5 with an UAG case or an HTC one with an UAG case

The people who buy modern phones and don't put a good case on them are all the ones who have cracked or smashed screens ? People need to get a grip on this my phone feels better than yours crap as its the most silly reason for buying a phone ever

Rant over
Old 21 July 2013, 09:21 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
To be honest I don't see what the big deal about all the build quality issue is? I have had the Galaxy phones from the start and they have all been excellent. The issue people seem to have with say the s3 being plastic is just plain stupid as its a great phone.

I have saw the adds for the HTC one saying its made from one piece of aluminium which means you then need to cover it in a case as if you drop it its going to hurt that phone?

I buy a phone for what it can do and not it its made of glass or feels better etc etc, once a case goes on the phone its the same as the rest. I have a UAG case on my s3 and I presume apart from the size it will feel exactly like an iphone5 with an UAG case or an HTC one with an UAG case

The people who buy modern phones and don't put a good case on them are all the ones who have cracked or smashed screens ? People need to get a grip on this my phone feels better than yours crap as its the most silly reason for buying a phone ever

Rant over

Old 22 July 2013, 12:32 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

In the end I ordered a sim free S4, Spigen Neo Hybrid case, Spigen Nano Glass protector and SanDisk 64gb Micro SD card.

The reason that I didn't go for the HTC One was down to the fact that it can't use SD cards and I've got a large music collection which will fill the HTC One on board storage, leaving no room for photos and apps.
Sandisk can have some issues with Samsung phones. my note 2 killed a 32gb sandisk card. it did get replaced under warranty but it s a common issue

people tend to buy Samsung cards (they even get better speeds)
Old 22 July 2013, 12:47 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Sandisk can have some issues with Samsung phones. my note 2 killed a 32gb sandisk card. it did get replaced under warranty but it s a common issue

people tend to buy Samsung cards (they even get better speeds)
Oh well, I read loads of threads over on XDA developers and they all rated SanDisk as the best for access speeds and quality.

I have a Samsung 32gb card in my S3 and that hasn't given an issue, bugger.
Old 22 July 2013, 12:58 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Good choice! I went from the S3 to the S4 and I'm impressed with it.

As for the SD cards. Sandisk seem to be having issues with their cards lately. Some of their class10 stuff isn't truly class10 and causes issues with read/write speeds.
Old 22 July 2013, 07:10 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I had an 8gb Sandisk die in my Older Galaxy S Advance

Quick Reply: Galaxy S3 - What To Upgrade To? Android Only Please