Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sky HD+ box issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2013, 09:32 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Sky HD+ box issues.

Sky have yet again put their prices up again to bring me the best programs blah blah blah.

My TV package has never changed since I got it (about 15 years ago) no movies or sports but I upgraded to HD+ a couple years ago , and Fibre Optic within last 6months.My phone is with Sky also.

My box is temperamental to say the least , but I put up with it because I have never bothered with their insurance. It freezes often on playback to the point I have to pull the plug , planner sometimes fails to record etc.

Whats the odds of me blagging a new box from them FOC ? Any leverage on my part with terms of the contract (as in I'm not getting the service I'm paying for) or will they just say it's my fault for not insuring my box ?
Old 09 July 2013, 09:36 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem with Sky is they give you the kit and then it's your problem. I've just done the comparison between them and virgin and if I get a like-for-like package including an upgrade to fibre Virgin is cheaper - you don't own the kit, you rent it and therefore you never have to worry about repairs. Best you can hope for is to suggest that it's so bad you're going across to virgin and th only reason is because the box is failing and see if they buckle
Old 09 July 2013, 09:55 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

When going for Fibre I actually phoned to cancel my net but they persuaded me to stay , so might use that against them. Worth a try .
Old 09 July 2013, 10:01 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm planning on seeing what I can get from sky - I'm not too worried about the multi-room thing that Virgin are offering but I do want to move up to fibre and the virgin package is faster. I can also get about £80 cashback and £60 account credit from Virgin plus Sky want £50 to install their fibre offering
Old 10 July 2013, 09:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed

Whats the odds of me blagging a new box from them FOC ?
Pretty good.

I wanted to purchase their terabyte box about two years ago, mainly because I was getting similar problems to you with the HD+ box.
They wanted to charge me full whack which infuriated me being such a long standing customer and spending nearly 1K per year with them.

So I emailed their CEO Mr Darroch and explained my feelings.
Within an hour or so, his secretary rang me.
New 1Tb HD+ box and all I had to pay was carriage of £20
Old 10 July 2013, 03:44 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say almost 100% certain of a new box if you are threatening to leave
Old 10 July 2013, 04:43 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

2tb boxes look so pretty too
Old 10 July 2013, 06:05 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Surprisingly enough my wife said Sky phoned today to speak to me . Knowing what my feelings are for them at the minute , she told them to ring later when im in !

Cant wait

I'll report back later.
Old 10 July 2013, 06:42 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Soooooo.....

Turns out it wasnt Sky at all , it was someone trying to sell insurance for Sky system . Sneaky , they asked for the Sky account holder to make u think its Sky , its was only when they gave my old address I cought on ! They said Sky charge £210 for new box , £100 callout. The ins company offer £90 for a years cover , or £27 per 1/4 for a year. I asked if I can pay for 1st quarter but cancel after getting it fixed . . . . .she said maybe

Told her I'd speak to Sky first.
Old 10 July 2013, 06:51 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

dont take insurance all they do is send refurb boxes and 9/10 they are knackered
Old 10 July 2013, 07:29 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Oh I know , but I can always say to Sky all I need to do is pay £27 to get it fixed elsewhere if they quote me a stupid price.
Old 10 July 2013, 07:49 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
dont take insurance all they do is send refurb boxes and 9/10 they are knackered
exactly, seeing as you can get a box for about £50 anyway, not worth the insurance at all.

You might get a free box if you threaten to leave but you might not. I threatened to leave because they were absolute gash, so many problems and so little understanding of what service provision is all about They thought I was bluffing, I wasn't, I left.

Sky called back a few months later practically begging me to come back and gave me full package for 6 months, free, £2.50 to make it HD, no contract and I will be cancelling again in Oct if they don't actually give me a reason to stay (so I'll be cancelling unless they offer super cheap fibre or something).

Been with them since the 90's, they suck *****. Then again so do Virgin, O2, Vodafone, BT and anyone else depending on which day you call and who you speak too

Last edited by Torquemada; 10 July 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10 July 2013, 08:28 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Oh I know , but I can always say to Sky all I need to do is pay £27 to get it fixed elsewhere if they quote me a stupid price.
sky will you a box for free. just ring them