Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Haswell

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2013, 12:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Haswell

So, haswell is now out and not a bank breaker.

£275 for the 3.5ghz (3.9ghz boost) quad core chip.

has anyone tried them yet?

I'm looking at specing some high end autocad machines and wondering how there performaning?
Old 27 June 2013, 02:30 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also add on a dedicated Haswell motherboard to the price of the CPU.

Haswell isn't a big enough leap imo to consider changing CPU's, it may use a bit less energy but the performance increase looks to be minimal, not a lot of ground breaking technology in this latest offering from intel. I'll be sticking with ivybridge for now which performs well.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 27 June 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 27 June 2013, 02:30 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I'm running the i5 4670k 3.4 @ 4.5 and it's quite nipppy.

I've come from an i5 2500k

Using a z87 board the extra USB3 & 6GB SATA are really handy.

UEFI BIOS makes a big difference to boot.

The machine just feels a lot more snappy.

Having said that, there wasn't much wrong with the 2500k

Last edited by BlkKnight; 27 June 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 27 June 2013, 08:37 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed im still on an i5 sandy o/c to 4.6ghz with a sata3 hdd.

Really its as fast as it can be for desktop use. It actually feels a tad faster than my i7 with ssd at work to boot. That maybe more to do with a better gfx card and ram though.
Old 28 June 2013, 12:05 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

It's just not a big enough step from ivy a lot of people thought it would be. Almost as much of an underwhelming launch as people thought of ivy.
Old 28 June 2013, 12:36 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tidgy
So, haswell is now out and not a bank breaker.

£275 for the 3.5ghz (3.9ghz boost) quad core chip.

has anyone tried them yet?

I'm looking at specing some high end autocad machines and wondering how there performaning?
Hi there

Here is good review on this particular CPU

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...l-cpu-review/1

About the spec for AutoCAD or any other graphic program

In most cases there more important GPU than CPU,if you are looking more at AutoCAD or 3DS MAX,Cinema 4D there you will be much better with dedicated workstation GPU(such as Quadro/Tesla or FirePRO) than mainstream GPU

I've tested in Poser Pro 2012/C4D few CPU and GPU few months ago,how to say CPU in this app is more important than GPU,if you are using dedicated renderer.

But when you start using different renderer such as Octane,LuxRender,Reality then GPU start playing most important role,in some cases NVIDIA GPU is better choice,but in some cases ATI/AMD is better choice

In most cases when you are using CPU renderer you will end with worse results,yes with some CPU renderers you still can have nice results

This should help too

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/stuff/rt_gpu/

Almost every SW from AutoDesk(and many other SW too) using V-Ray,which have better results with GPU

CPU rendering is good,but still not as good as GPU(have on comparison above or have look on Octane renders vs integrated renderers)

Jura
Old 28 June 2013, 01:04 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Price wise theres not much difference, ivy vs haswell. headline figures on the haswell are a tad higher, 3.5/3.9 vs 3.3/3.6 iirc.

Jura, for autocad im by no means convinced theres any advatnage to the workstation card's, i'm struggling to find a specific reason as to spend the double/tripple cost. While on paper and sales garb form the suppliers look good, the benchmarks i've seen don't agree. Salers say it performas better but i dont see much in the way of actualy testing. The background prgraming in autocad is pretty ****, multicores arn't used for much so single core speed is the key.

This follows through with the GC, all the side by sides i've seen have been done by the specific manufactuers and always show their products to be best, they also tend to get held up in rendering which isnt what autocad is there for.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/art...eleration-164/

so a gtx680 at around £400 beats out the quadro 4000 at £750 by some margin (10%).

There's also alot of talk about precision, but we work to the nearest mm, not nm, again i can't get any concrete argument on if this is a major advantage or not.

Simply put im not conviced the much larger cost of a workstation card is worth what you actualy get, which could seem to be a less responsive product.

There just isn't a smoking gun to prove it.
Old 28 June 2013, 02:21 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used AutoCAD few years back with workstation GPU and I've been impressed at this stage

Agree about the Workstation GPU,they cost lot more than I would be prepared to spend.

In most new SW like is Poser Pro,C4D and many other which support multicore CPU,there single core is not important and would say you will end with very long rendering times,then option is using GPU rendering like is it above mentioned Octane,LuxRender,Reality etc

I've still using in most renders i7-920 clocked at 4.0Ghz,times are still reasonable and I would say great,second my opinion get more RAM,I'm using still 12GB,but think I will be upgrading RAM soon

As I said depends on yours plans,but I would go with Ivy(overclocked) and GTX card,12GB RAM as minimum,SSD in most those SW is not important

Jura
Old 28 June 2013, 03:40 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Price wise theres not much difference, ivy vs haswell. headline figures on the haswell are a tad higher, 3.5/3.9 vs 3.3/3.6 iirc.
Thats the thing though, their is a big price difference between Ivy and Haswell. To use the latest Haswell CPU's you also need to buy a Haswell 1150 motherboard which will be £100+ for anything half reasonable. With Ivybridge you can buy the CPU straight off the shelf and use it in an 1155 socket motherboard.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 28 June 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 28 June 2013, 05:07 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Thats the thing though, their is a big price difference between Ivy and Haswell. To use the latest Haswell CPU's you also need to buy a Haswell 1150 motherboard which will be £100+ for anything half reasonable. With Ivybridge you can buy the CPU straight off the shelf and use it in an 1155 socket motherboard.
buit to get the reasonable spec ones your 100+ anyway. i wouldn't get a cheap MB
Old 28 June 2013, 05:24 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

buit to get the reasonable spec ones your 100+ anyway. i wouldn't get a cheap MB
Which is the point i'm making, your going to have to spend decent money (not peanuts) to get a good quality motherboard to run this new Haswell CPU.

Thats why the expense just aint worth it with Haswell, a lot of outlay for minimal gains.
Old 12 July 2013, 02:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Which is the point i'm making, your going to have to spend decent money (not peanuts) to get a good quality motherboard to run this new Haswell CPU.

Thats why the expense just aint worth it with Haswell, a lot of outlay for minimal gains.

sorry just rememebr abotu this lol

I wouldn't get a cheap mb to run ivy either, so there about the same cost. So not alot of outlay at all.

Also dont forget were talking professional use, so even if it's 1% and £100 extra would still get that back in efficiencies

Last edited by Tidgy; 12 July 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 13 July 2013, 01:28 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I just presumed you were upgrading from something you have already like an 1155 mobo, in that instance it wouldn't be worth the outlay. If you have to buy a mobo and cpu from scratch then i guess its worth considering.

If that were me and you have no problems with your current setup then i'd wait another year until something more radical with better performance comes out from intel, i just don't view Haswell as groundbreaking given you have to buy a Haswell mobo as well.
Old 13 July 2013, 08:12 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

did some looking into it when it was released, seems they have used the same bluetack to hold the lids on so if you want to overclock them you have a heat issue arising .. not as much of a "great" leap many were expecting, also heard a lot were not overclocking to the standard they had perceived to be able to do..
running standard form yes they do function well, same prices roughly to build either system but the z77 boards will soon dry up.
worth going for ,
fresh new build yes,
upgrade from ivybridge no ..
upgrade from sandybridge yes you will see a difference..
would make sure the cooling is done by an upgraded device rather than the bundled cooler though.