Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cloud Hosting or Shared Hosting ??

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2012, 09:00 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloud Hosting or Shared Hosting ??

At the moment I run several e-commerce websites using shared hosting, I don't want VPS or Private servers.
I am very happy with my host but they are not cheap.
I was looking at VidaHost Cloud Hosting which would cut my outgoings to my host by 70%, quite a saving over a year.

What are your experiences with cloud hosting?
Old 03 October 2012, 09:13 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

"Cloud" is merely a new name applied to older, pre-existing technologies. A quick look at the VidaHost site indicates you would actually be buying either shared hosting or a VPS, just under a different label.
Old 03 October 2012, 09:19 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

agreed, the bullsh1t around "the cloud" is pretty deep

it's a marketeers wet dream

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 03 October 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03 October 2012, 09:22 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

The behind the scenes technology is not that important to me, but cost, performance and reliability are.

So, despite the crap hype, I could be financially better off with no loss of performance or reliability?.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:06 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

how much are you paying a month?/ year?

I run a few e-commerce sites from a UK VPS, what is wrong with them?
Old 03 October 2012, 10:18 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Including VAT I am paying £42 a month for a reseller package which I never used for reselling but used for hosting multiple websites.
VidaHost have an offer of £1 per month for 3 months to try their cloud hosting out, then it's £9.99 a month after.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:20 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big-G
Including VAT I am paying £42 a month for a reseller package which I never used for reselling but used for hosting multiple websites.
VidaHost have an offer of £1 per month for 3 months to try their cloud hosting out, then it's £9.99 a month after.
thats more than i am paying and I think mine is slightly more expensive than average, whats the reason that you don't want VPS or Private servers?
Old 03 October 2012, 10:28 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

I suppose it has been the cost and not understanding how to use all of the options available.
I just want to run my websites without getting too involved with the behind the scenes technology.
I was operating 20 websites at first but presently am operating 5 sites at the moment, mostly e-commerce, this will be expanding to 8-10 over the next year.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:45 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I use a managed VPS, 10 sites £30 month, I have literally in the last day or so just renewed for a year. I have two main sites both eccomerce and then 8 other sites that I play about with. Its fully managed if i ever have a problem I just email and someone gets back to me with in a few minutes. I did have a quick look around when i renewed and you can get the same spec for about half the price but decided to stick with what I knew. I was originally with Bluehost which was about £5 a month per site but I was sharing with about 800 other sites on the same server and support was pretty bad, the settings were never quite right although a friend of mine does host a busy eccomerce site with hostgator (same as bluehost) and does not really get any problems.

Due to new PCI DSS compliance I am now forced to have my site scanned every month by card merchant and I believe the shared hosting is now causing some problems on these tests.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:03 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

I am not worried about PCI compliance, I use third party payment processors and let them carry the card details.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:13 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big-G
I am not worried about PCI compliance, I use third party payment processors and let them carry the card details.

Thanks for your replies.
we use a third party but we still have to have it or do you only use paypal?
Old 03 October 2012, 11:19 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

PayPal exclusively now.
Despite what people say about PayPal, as a seller they tick all of the boxes for me.
I've used them for over 10 years for buying and selling and never had anything other than minor gliches.
In my experience when used correctly PayPal is a great tool that has many features that the majority of users are unaware of.