Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop screen help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2011, 11:08 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop screen help please.

Got a little issue re. My mrs' laptop. I need to get on it for some photos on the hardrive. But she bust the screen a couple months back in a huff. I have a vga cable to connect between the laptop and my tv so thought 'great will plug it in and use that'. But it doesn't recognise it

Is this because the screens knackered as I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference. Laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ60. Does the laptop screen have to work to project the picture to my tv. If so I will have to change the screen when money allows.

Ta

P.s. The VGA cable plugs into the side of the laptop not the screen itself.
Old 12 August 2011, 11:13 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you configured the laptop for an external monitor - it's usually a function key so on mine I hit Fn+F8 and it enables the VGA output

The Function key will have a graphic of a laptop and monitor on it or something similar
Old 12 August 2011, 11:16 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

You may have more joy using a standard PC monitor.

No if the Screen is fubared (rather than the graphics card) the VGA out will work.

If the VGA card is broken, then neither will work.

Some laptops (espcially the older ones) need to be told to switch outputs - usually it's done with the Fn key + one of the keys at the top with a couple of monitors on.

If you can start the laptop with the lid shut - this may help too.

Failing that, remove the hard drive & stick is in a caddy and transfer the files onto a new machine.
Old 12 August 2011, 11:18 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Failing that might be easier to take the hard drive out of the laptop and plug it into another computer to get the stuff off it.
Old 12 August 2011, 11:21 AM
Will
BANNED

I used to connect my PC monitor to my laptop. It wouldn't work unless I closed the lid on the laptop. I only closed it half way, so I could use the laptop mouse.
Old 12 August 2011, 11:25 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, never removed a hardrive from a lappy before so may need to do this. I've tried the function keys with no luck. I did find a guide in changing the screen which I may use when I have some cash for one. Does the caddy make the connection between hardrive and pc connection then??

Thankyou gentlemen
Old 12 August 2011, 11:29 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

The caddies normally convert a SATA or IDE drive into USB, there are many types available. To save cash though if you have a desktop with the same hard drive interface as the laptop e.g. SATA and a spare port just take the case off the desktop and hook it up internally.
Old 12 August 2011, 11:38 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
The caddies normally convert a SATA or IDE drive into USB, there are many types available. To save cash though if you have a desktop with the same hard drive interface as the laptop e.g. SATA and a spare port just take the case off the desktop and hook it up internally.
Ah I'm following you now, thanks. I'll try this and see if I can wire it internally. Brothers a pc guru so see what he says after work.
Old 12 August 2011, 12:50 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

If it's an old IDE disk, one of these will be handy

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CF4Q8gIwAQ
Old 13 August 2011, 12:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've removed the hard drive from the lappy and it says it's a Serial ATA drive, I assume this is SATA, not IDE? After having a quick chat with my bro, he said it's easy enough to pop the drive into my PC (also Compaq), and at worst, will buy a caddy for it.

Seems screens are available from reliable UK sources on eBay for around £40-50 and I have found a guide on how to replace it. Not easy for someone with limited knowledge in the field of laptops but I like a challenge.

Thanks for the help gents.
Old 13 August 2011, 07:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just changed the screen on my (old) DELL. Fairly straightforward IF you download the service manual first. That'll tell you where all the hidden screws are so you don't break anything.

When you say she 'bust the screen' do you mean literally? If so then obviously a new screen will be needed. If it's just gone 'dark' i.e. it looks like it's not working, it'll probably be the inverter for the screen and they're dead cheap. Worth trying first. As is a quick visit to your local pc repair shop as they usually have loads about the place. Mine does anyway.

Dave
Or the cold cathode tube,

again cheap as chips.... unless its one of the Sony ones....£400 just for the screen ....ouch...they dont have seperate cold cathode tubes, but utilise some clever screen assy .

May
Old 13 August 2011, 10:47 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just changed the screen on my (old) DELL. Fairly straightforward IF you download the service manual first. That'll tell you where all the hidden screws are so you don't break anything.

When you say she 'bust the screen' do you mean literally? If so then obviously a new screen will be needed. If it's just gone 'dark' i.e. it looks like it's not working, it'll probably be the inverter for the screen and they're dead cheap. Worth trying first. As is a quick visit to your local pc repair shop as they usually have loads about the place. Mine does anyway.

Dave
As much as I love the Mrs, she has one underlying fault - a terrible temper. Yes, when pregnant and ready for popping 10lb Isaac out she was really pissed off and launched the laptop on the wooden floor, cracking it several billion times. Screen is fecked as they say.