Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Macbook-How do I set up a sub -group email account please ?

Old 15 October 2010, 05:32 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Macbook-How do I set up a sub -group email account please ?

I will begin by freely admitting that I am not computer literate...I switch on and use. The present email has been in existence for so long I can't remember how it was set up, think the laptop did it by itself.

The problem...

I want to set up a sub group email address for the small club that I am treasurer for and then use this so members can pay subscriptions via paypal.
I followed the yahoo instructions to set a new email address and this was OK, the address is shown at the foot of the my account page on yahoo as the only sub group. ISP is BTinternet.com so that uses yahoo.
Easy so far.
Remember opening sentence !
How do I set up my existing email page to show when a message has been received on the new sub group email. I use macmail on a macbook , not PC outlookexpress. In other words, how do I open/access/show this new email on the macbook ? I don't want to compromise the existing email set-up, just have a 'secondary' or 'sub group' account.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks

JBL
Old 15 October 2010, 05:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Go to preferences in Mail, click the Accounts tab then the + button bottom left of that page. Add your new email address and password, job done.
Old 15 October 2010, 06:16 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

mmmm! not quite so easy. When i click on the + it brings up the Accounts-General Information and the first window gives 4 options for account type ? Do I choose .mac or pop or imap or exchange ? I tried pop as that is what present email is but when I put in the new email and continue it tell me it cannot connect ?

Cheers

Brian
Old 15 October 2010, 06:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My mum had problems connecting to yahoo with mac I set her a gmail account up worked straight from the off
Old 15 October 2010, 07:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry Brian, I'm running Snow Leopard OSX version 10.6.4, with this version the first screen after the + asks for Name, Email Address and Password, it recognises the yahoo.com part of your address and fills in the blanks.
Old 15 October 2010, 08:12 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Sorry Brian, I'm running Snow Leopard OSX version 10.6.4, with this version the first screen after the + asks for Name, Email Address and Password, it recognises the yahoo.com part of your address and fills in the blanks.
Thanks for the help anyway JackClark, it might have helped if I had said the macbook is on Tiger 10.4.11 in the first place.

Cheers

Brian