Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Snow Leopard - what does not work

Old 17 December 2009, 07:43 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Leopard - what does not work

As Markus asked the other day, things that don't work on Snow Leopard.

1) DHCP/Aiport is a disaster zone - not on all network configurations, but some with multple access points kill it dead. Errors include connecting and then losing the IP address. Connecting with no IP address (even with repeated Renew Lease), connecting manually with a reserved IP address - still no internet traffic; or the most annoying connecting with a self-assigned IP address.

2) Parallels 5.0 (the Snow Leopard release) is less stable than 3.0 or 4.0, particularly when initiating the VM, particularly when using SmartSelect which automatically links Office documents to Office applications in the VM.

3) Many earlier mobile broadband dongles don't work and can only be enabled with hand crafted drivers.

4) Google Chrome for Mac cannot pick up fonts in SL. It works with Leopard.

These are the obvious ones to me and Google searches would indicate I am not alone.
Old 17 December 2009, 12:15 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I am just trying to get to grips with the Mac way of doing things at the moment, luckily for me I have not found anything that is not working just yet, as I would not know where to start when trying to sort it!
Old 17 December 2009, 12:28 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IanW
I am just trying to get to grips with the Mac way of doing things at the moment, luckily for me I have not found anything that is not working just yet, as I would not know where to start when trying to sort it!
Same here

4 weeks into Mac ownership I find myself using Google to see how I do simple tasks....taking a screen grab was a good example today
Old 17 December 2009, 12:58 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Same here

4 weeks into Mac ownership I find myself using Google to see how I do simple tasks....taking a screen grab was a good example today
Snap but i am 4 days in!

I also had to google how to take a screen grab, i feel like such a n00b!!

The best fun for me at the moment is moving my PST files into either Entourage or Mail I keep putting that off ;-)
Old 17 December 2009, 01:19 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Wirless on my iMac seems to have packed up, but its no biggie at the minute as I use a wired connection most of the time.

My old Lexmark x85 printer isn't compatible with 10.6 - the drivers lexmark provide only go up to 10.4 - so that's a bit of a pain. I could just go and buy a new printer, but there is nothing wrong with this one, so I am just booting into Windoze via Bootcamp & doing my printing in XP. If anyone has a solution to this problem I'm open to suggestions.

2 weeks into Mac ownership, I'm an Apple convert, I still like using windows, but I'm very impressed with this machine & software.
Old 17 December 2009, 01:56 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

for info from a corporate point of view, the update service on servers is a little bugged and there have been probs with mobile user accounts also, this may be fixed with 10.6.2
Old 17 December 2009, 02:19 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Snap but i am 4 days in!

The best fun for me at the moment is moving my PST files into either Entourage or Mail I keep putting that off ;-)
easy when you know how, at least you dont need to download screengrab software from traction or elsewhere or use the clunky print screen option.

.pst files into entourage is a pain. It is possible using a bit of software from Little machines
Old 17 December 2009, 02:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Snap but i am 4 days in!

Ian, check out emailchemy. It's not free, but pretty cheap and it will convert PST into, well, mbox or Mail format (including mail 4.0 for SL). I have used it and it does what it says on the tin, and very well indeed.

As for trying to work out how to do things, pop into the Finder, go up to the Help menu and enter what you are trying to do and see if comes back with anything. I entered screen grab and it came back with a result, telling me to use the Grab app. Ok, this isn't how I'd usually do it (command + shift + 3 for a full screen shot, or command + shift + 4 and then drag round what you want, or press space and hover over a window, you'll see a camera icon, click and it'll shot just the window).

I converted someone last week and have spent some time with them setting things up, but they have had many, many questions, most are simply due to the different way in which OS X works in comparison to Windows. However, the chap in question is learning and is happily bashing away in Mail and photoshop, so I must have done something right in teaching him

As for where to go when you need answers, umm, post on here, or PM/email me. My rates are very low

Last edited by Markus; 17 December 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 17 December 2009, 02:34 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Snap but i am 4 days in!

I purchased a program called MessageSave...cost me £20 I think but the whole process took around 5 minutes.

Exported them from Outlook using MessageSave to mbox format
Put them on a USB key
Put them on my Mac and dragged them into Entourage

Retains all attachments, dates and time etc and made the process painless.

I figured it was worth £20 although I'll never use it again, PM me if you want to use my code as I'll not be using it again.

Old 17 December 2009, 02:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Wirless on my iMac seems to have packed up, but its no biggie at the minute as I use a wired connection most of the time.

My old Lexmark x85 printer isn't compatible with 10.6 - the drivers lexmark provide only go up to 10.4 - so that's a bit of a pain. I could just go and buy a new printer, but there is nothing wrong with this one, so I am just booting into Windoze via Bootcamp & doing my printing in XP. If anyone has a solution to this problem I'm open to suggestions.

2 weeks into Mac ownership, I'm an Apple convert, I still like using windows, but I'm very impressed with this machine & software.

I know what you mean about printer drivers, in my case it's scanner drivers. The aforementioned convert has some HP scanner and what a shock, no SL drivers as yet. Look at their website, states they will be available in November, look at the calendar, oh, it's December now. Grrrr. It would be nice if OS X had some generic scanning support within it. Not sure if that is possible though.

Have a look on this list to see if your printer is listed. There is a 2.2 driver update for 10.6 which does provide support for more printers than the original 10.6 release.

Originally Posted by mike1210
for info from a corporate point of view, the update service on servers is a little bugged and there have been probs with mobile user accounts also, this may be fixed with 10.6.2
Update service? Do you mean the Software Update server, ala, running SL server as the primary source for the client computers software updates?

Mobile accounts, I've heard of issues and I too have heard 10.6.2 is meant to address some of them.
Old 17 December 2009, 02:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
I purchased a program called MessageSave...cost me £20 I think but the whole process took around 5 minutes.

Exported them from Outlook using MessageSave to mbox format
Put them on a USB key
Put them on my Mac and dragged them into Entourage

Retains all attachments, dates and time etc and made the process painless.

I figured it was worth £20 although I'll never use it again, PM me if you want to use my code as I'll not be using it again.

My problem was that the PC that had the files on was no more. Now, I could have popped them into a PC here, but I didn't want that additional step, hence looking around for something that would work on the PST files I had, and thankfully I found something.
Old 17 December 2009, 02:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
I think I mentioned this one already, but have you set IPv6 to "off" (System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6 "off"), if not, try it.

What is your network setup, as in what router/modem, what is providing wireless access, what is it set to b/g/n? Is it acting as a DHCP server. Are you extending the wireless network, if so, with what are you doing this.
In the airport advanced options, go into AppleTalk, make sure "Make AppleTalk Active" is disabled. Also go into "Ethernet" and check what it's set to, ideally configure should be set to "Automatically"

Part of me is tempted to say to replace whatever you have with Airport versions, perhaps you could borrow some, rather than purchase outright. I know, additional expense that should not be required, but if it did fix the issue then we'd know there is some difference between things, and perhaps Apple is being naughty.

I'd love to help you get this one sorted out, as I hate niggling issues like this.
Old 17 December 2009, 02:55 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
is happily bashing away in Mail and photoshop
Markus

Bashing away to Photoshop I can understand....but Mail...that is just sick!!!

Old 17 December 2009, 03:02 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Markus> Thanks for that link, sadly my Lexmark X85 isn't on the list

I may splash out on a new Kodak all in one this weekend, along with a 2tb time capsule (unless you think they are rubbish - I bow to your Apple knowledge )

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 17 December 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 17 December 2009, 03:02 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice if OS X had some generic scanning support within it. Not sure if that is possible though.

Have you tried the import function in Preview. I had to convert a whole company to this when they upgraded to SL as the epson scanners they had had no drivers for SL. Works a treat
Old 17 December 2009, 03:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Markus> Thanks for that link, sadly my Lexmark X85 isn't on the list

I may splash out on a new Kodak all in one this weekend, along with a 2tb time capsule (unless you think they are rubbish - I bow to your Apple knowledge )

Bugger, I did a search for x85 and it did hit something, now I look, it's x850

Any reason you explicitly want a Time Capsule? I've not had much, well, no exposure to them personally. From what I'm aware it's an airport base-station plus a NAS all in one, which isn't a bad thing, especially if you want to use Time Machine for backup.

You know, you've got me thinking now! I want a NAS to store content from my chipped xbox, and have it accessible to the xbox and my Apple TV, plus other sources as required. I've done a quick bit of reading and it seems TC supports SMB, which is what I'd need for the PC based things. Very tempting. Obviously not a true NAS as it's single drive and no RAID, and perhaps I want to go that route, perhaps not.

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Have you tried the import function in Preview. I had to convert a whole company to this when they upgraded to SL as the epson scanners they had had no drivers for SL. Works a treat
No, I've not tried that Chris, thanks for the heads up, I'll speak to the chap and get him to try this. In fact, I'm going to try it with my HP All-in-one thing, see if it works there too.
Old 18 December 2009, 12:54 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Update service? Do you mean the Software Update server, ala, running SL server as the primary source for the client computers software updates?

Mobile accounts, I've heard of issues and I too have heard 10.6.2 is meant to address some of them.
Yeah Apple changed it a little this time around in that you need a different addres for each OS so 10.6 points to one site and 10.5 points to a slightly different one.

Sometimes when you bind a 10.6.0 client to OD and use the software update service it says there are no updates even though I had enabled the 10.6.2 patch on the server. Some say to delete certain files and switch the service off and back on and let it re-jig and download the files again but for others this didn't work for them. Not the end of the world and hopefully should be fixed for 10.6.3

for me SL is a big improvement on the corporate side, better binding to directories (which is great with deploy studio), intergrated Cisco VPN. Extra management options in workgroup manager. Smaller footprint. Exchange integration, power on/off much better, much better finder.

Server OS also seems more polished this time around, not the best explanation I know.....

Mobile accounts seemed ok for me when testing on me home domain

Last edited by mike1210; 18 December 2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 18 December 2009, 06:26 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

David,
I think I mentioned this one already, but have you set IPv6 to "off" (System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6 "off"), if not, try it.

What is your network setup, as in what router/modem, what is providing wireless access, what is it set to b/g/n? Is it acting as a DHCP server. Are you extending the wireless network, if so, with what are you doing this.
In the airport advanced options, go into AppleTalk, make sure "Make AppleTalk Active" is disabled. Also go into "Ethernet" and check what it's set to, ideally configure should be set to "Automatically"

Part of me is tempted to say to replace whatever you have with Airport versions, perhaps you could borrow some, rather than purchase outright. I know, additional expense that should not be required, but if it did fix the issue then we'd know there is some difference between things, and perhaps Apple is being naughty.

I'd love to help you get this one sorted out, as I hate niggling issues like this.
Good morning!!

I am on wireless this morning and it only took three restarts to get it to connect!

Router is a Netgear DG834GT. There are two Linksys Wireless Range extenders on my network with some overlap of reach.

It is an 802.g set up. The Netgear router is a DHCP server; all devices are at the latest level of firmware.

IPv6 has always been turned off. Ethernet is automatic.

Can't find Appletalk! Wierd as I have seen it before...

...but here is the thing.

With Tiger and then Leopard I barely noticed a wireless issue in over two years of faultless Mac ownership. I love the Mac but this is stretching my fanboy membership to the limit.

The worse is when I spend time typing in something like this and between starting and ending I find there is no network connection (or even worse it looks connected and when I press enter there is no IP address!).

I think SL is at least 6 months too early in the market. It also seems that Macs shipped with SL do not seem to have the same problems., eg with Chrome fonts.

So what is it about upgrades? I really do not have the knowledge or desire to do a complete clean install.
Old 18 December 2009, 06:27 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

By the way I am on 10.6.2 and have been since it came out - and I did the full option for upgrading it.
Old 18 December 2009, 09:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I had some problems with intermittent wifi here at a friends mums house. Turns out the router and the wireless access point were providing both NAT and DHPC, changed this to the router only and haven't seen a problem since. I was cursing the Snow Leopard as my friends Leopard install and my iPhone were working perfectly.

Sounds to me like your range extending setup is the problem Trout.
Old 18 December 2009, 11:45 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I think SL is at least 6 months too early in the market. It also seems that Macs shipped with SL do not seem to have the same problems., eg with Chrome fonts.

So what is it about upgrades? I really do not have the knowledge or desire to do a complete clean install.
I understand about the desire not to reinstall everything, as it is a pain. Do you happen to use Time Machine to back things up? I ask as if you do a complete reinstall then as part of that process you can restore your data using TM. You could also do an Archive & Install, which would move data and settings, but replace the entire OS.

One other question, have you tried downloading and re-running the 10.6.2 Combined (combo) updater? I think I've suggested that before, but want to check. If you haven't, then download it, reboot in safe mode, then run it, reboot again, then see if that helps at all.

My guess is that the upgrade to 10.6 was not perfect and there is something lurking from 10.5 and tis with the updated components is causing a problem, so perhaps a reinstall is worth a shot.
Old 18 December 2009, 11:52 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I had some problems with intermittent wifi here at a friends mums house. Turns out the router and the wireless access point were providing both NAT and DHPC, changed this to the router only and haven't seen a problem since. I was cursing the Snow Leopard as my friends Leopard install and my iPhone were working perfectly.

Sounds to me like your range extending setup is the problem Trout.
Or not...

...as I have contended before it worked perfectly before SL so I don't believe it is a network problem.

More importantly it is not a WAP, the range extenders are wireless repeaters so there should be no conflict.

Trout
Old 18 December 2009, 02:38 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The only consistent solution I have is to got to

Library/Preferences/Sytem Configuration and delete all the files in there and restart.

Once I do this the wireless can work for days without an issue...

...until...!
Old 18 December 2009, 03:49 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

PPS And both the iPhones in the house connect seamlessly with NO problems at all - how ironic!
Old 18 December 2009, 06:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well the iPhones are running 10.5 and not 10.6 so that could be one of the reasons.
Old 18 December 2009, 09:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

A pound says your network is off kilter and Snow Leopard is less tolerant.
Old 18 December 2009, 09:58 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

If I could video the behaviour of SL networking then you may think differently.

It is possibly the most frustrating thing when for no reason at all the network changes from being connected to having a self assigned IP address. And then it will not reconnect until I delete the files, restart and restart the whole network.

I seem to be in a small but frustrated minority that have this very real issue.
Old 19 December 2009, 04:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
You have probably seen this already, but I post it just in case.

It does make mention of disabling the "G" side of things, so that could be worth trying. Also what are you using for encryption, Nothing/WEP/WPA/WPA2? It seems to suggest going to WPA/WPA2, so if you're not using that, try it. Thing is, some things might need WEP, I recall reading something that said Blackberries use WEP, so if you have one this might not be an option.

Pretty sure you have read this on Apple's discussions forum. One interesting thing is the mention of Open vs WEP vs WPA, in that open = ok, WEP = problems and WPA = ok. May be something there as mentioned above.

Another mention was to use opendns' DNS server addresses (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Not too sure where you'd put these in, and I mean at a device level, wether it should be your laptop, or the router/repeater (replacing or supplementing whatever DNS server info is there). I'd try your laptop DNS settings first, as it won't mess with the rest of the functioning network setup.

Last edited by Markus; 19 December 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 19 December 2009, 05:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your thoughts Markus.

The network is open as I live in the middle of a field so I don't think anyone is tapping into my bandwidth!!

I will have a go with some things later.

Cheers,

Trout