Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Who's been banned from Xbox live?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2009, 07:29 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Who's been banned from Xbox live?

Me.

Had to buy a new console for my son last night..£149 from Game with Modern Warfare 2.

Still, it was good fun while it lasted..
Old 12 November 2009, 09:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a hell of a lot to be honest, the forums have been full of people.

They have also been quite cunning withh the bans now.

A banned console will no longer let you install stuff to the hard drive.

If you continue to use the banned box to play games offline for a while, and then in the future buy a new box and try to use your old hard drive with it, your profile becomes corrupt and you lose all your gamerscore

So its either buy a new box now and swap stuff over, or use the banned box offline for ever and keep your gamerscore on that one.

But using the banned box, and amassing another 10k in gamerscore, then deciding you want a new machine, will make your profile corrupt, cunning!

Last edited by StickyMicky; 12 November 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12 November 2009, 09:17 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

is it possible to put a new HD in the banned box & flash to a previous version?

X-Box sales will be outstripping Ps3 for Christmas then
Old 12 November 2009, 09:21 AM
dagger
Scooby Regular

How on earth do you get banned ???
Old 12 November 2009, 09:23 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
is it possible to put a new HD in the banned box & flash to a previous version?

X-Box sales will be outstripping Ps3 for Christmas then
Dont think so, not according to the hacking forums i look at now and again, some of the older boxes that run older code could still be flashed back, but the newer ones will all have been updated anyway, MS is cunning, and includes newer updates on some games anyway, so the chances are that the majority of the consoles out in the wild are all patched up to recent spec.
Old 12 November 2009, 01:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I only modified my original xbox so I could run XBMC and install, legally purchased I might add, games to the hard drive, simply to speed things up a little. I did not go online with the console booting from the modchip, as I didn't want to get banned, even though I wasn't going to be playing pirated games, or cheating online.

I will admit to, in single player mode on Halo 2 turning on a few cheats for a laugh. This was actually after completing the game on easy first though. I thought I'd stick it on Legendary and have a few cheats and play through, as said, for a laugh. I didn't see a problem doing this as it was just against the machine

As far as I am aware, XBMC doesn't run on the 360, primarily as I don't think there is a way to get it on there, so I wouldn't have a real reason to mod a 360. There could well be a few, probably very few, reasons for chipping a 360 bar playing pirated games, but I cannot think of any off the top of my head.
Old 12 November 2009, 01:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
As far as I am aware, XBMC doesn't run on the 360, primarily as I don't think there is a way to get it on there, so I wouldn't have a real reason to mod a 360. There could well be a few, probably very few, reasons for chipping a 360 bar playing pirated games, but I cannot think of any off the top of my head.
The 360 is pretty good on its own as a media player once they released the ability to play DivX, so there isn't a particular need to run XBMC.

Steve
Old 12 November 2009, 01:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
I only modified my original xbox so I could run XBMC and install, legally purchased I might add, games to the hard drive, simply to speed things up a little. I did not go online with the console booting from the modchip, as I didn't want to get banned, even though I wasn't going to be playing pirated games, or cheating online.

I will admit to, in single player mode on Halo 2 turning on a few cheats for a laugh. This was actually after completing the game on easy first though. I thought I'd stick it on Legendary and have a few cheats and play through, as said, for a laugh. I didn't see a problem doing this as it was just against the machine

I soft modded my xbox to play snes,megadrive and n64 games, 4 player goldeneye is awesome

They did wipe my stats on rainbow six though after using the molotov cocktail power save.
Old 12 November 2009, 02:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
The 360 is pretty good on its own as a media player once they released the ability to play DivX, so there isn't a particular need to run XBMC.

Steve
I knew there was better support for the 360 being a media center, so that would explain a lack of XBMC.

I simply used it as it was akin to having a PC laying around doing nothing. Turn it into something useful.
Old 12 November 2009, 06:08 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Not banned yet :s surely won't be long.

I wonder if I back my profile up now it won't make it corrupt
Old 12 November 2009, 07:37 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dagger
How on earth do you get banned ???
That's what everybody really wants to know...Still, if you go online playing copied games that's the risk you take.
Old 12 November 2009, 09:00 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

i read today about a so called stealth chip that microsoft can't detect.

mine is standard so doesn't affect me anyway
Old 12 November 2009, 09:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D4VEW557
i read today about a so called stealth chip that microsoft can't detect.

mine is standard so doesn't affect me anyway

They have been stealthing them for a while mate, did not seam to make any difference as a lot of the current banned chaps had the most up to date stuff in use..

Even the top chap who creates the stealthy stuff does not have a clue how they are doing it, and he thinks they are simply detecting bad rips/copys
Old 12 November 2009, 10:20 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

MS probably put out a couple bad rips or copys of the most popular titles in order to be able to get those with modded 360's. Ban them... send out a message before Xmas to those buying. The fact the PS3 isn't cracked means they could do that.
Old 12 November 2009, 11:08 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
They have been stealthing them for a while mate, did not seam to make any difference as a lot of the current banned chaps had the most up to date stuff in use..

Even the top chap who creates the stealthy stuff does not have a clue how they are doing it, and he thinks they are simply detecting bad rips/copys
yeh c4eva is really struggling he's still swearing by the firmware is not detectable but i and a few reckon it is.

He did have 3 new machines running the latest firmware and all 3 got banned with different scenarios with disc, copied disc , and no disc.

which to me says the firmware
Old 12 November 2009, 11:31 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Like mentioned, my original Xbox was chipped, big HDD full of copied games. But never been tempted to get the 360 done, originally for the cost of the console if anything, cause if anything happened you were screwed.

Suppose everyone just has to accept it was good while it lasted, Microsoft will be able to get hold of the firmware just like every other modder, and find ways to prevent it just like the hackers found ways around the original stuff.
Old 16 November 2009, 01:29 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Makes me laugh, its like banging your head against a brick wall then wondering why you have a headache...

M$ have a tiny little bit more budget than the guys making the chips/mods and people love having thier consoles connected to the net so its just a matter of time before the ban hammer comes and gets you
Old 16 November 2009, 06:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

When a chap does a test with a new elite, flashes it, but never uses for anything apart from connecting to live! and still gets banned, you know that M$ can detect your mods!
Old 16 November 2009, 07:43 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I've not gone on-line yet as I know I'll be banned (flashed firmware). I don't play many games really - try the demo's out and play Trails HD on-line. Don't fancy losing the install to hard drive feature, so won't be logging on any time soon.
Old 16 November 2009, 07:46 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
If you continue to use the banned box to play games offline for a while, and then in the future buy a new box and try to use your old hard drive with it, your profile becomes corrupt and you lose all your gamerscore

So its either buy a new box now and swap stuff over, or use the banned box offline for ever and keep your gamerscore on that one.

But using the banned box, and amassing another 10k in gamerscore, then deciding you want a new machine, will make your profile corrupt, cunning!
Thats why i took my modded console offline last monday, If I sign in I know it will be banned but as its not been online to get banned its working fine for offline play.

Worst case scenario i'll do what everyone else is doing, gutswap it as Asda then get a refund
Old 16 November 2009, 08:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Works fine for offline even if you get banned .. and there is a flash to unban you now ..
Old 16 November 2009, 10:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Link ???

The only way of unbanning yourself, is if you have your CPU key, and not many people have that as the exploit to actualy read the cpu key, was patched up quite a while back.

So as far as i am aware, while technically you could unban your console in theory, in reality, nobody can as the loopholes were locked down a while back.

Or that's how it was all presented to me last friday at least
Saw a rather amusing windup video on youtube over the weeked that is supposed to show a console unbanning itself with a super duper program "scanning sectors" =

Unbanning Xbox 360 From Live - The Facts
>> I see lots of sites posting today about a way to unban Xbox 360 from LIVE often linking to a thread made on our forums here.

This method has been known for a long time (since the King Kong Exploit days) and does indeed 'work'. Basically you swap the Keyvault (or 'KV' in short, it stores stuff like console certificates, per-box private keys, DVD key, etc) inside the NAND with the KV from an unbanned console. While technically very different you could somewhat compare it to swapping eeprom data during the Xbox1 days.

However there's a (really) big 'IF' (besides the required tech knowledge) ... you need the (unique) CPU key of your banned console - without it you can't correctly write (or encrypt if you want) the new KV data in the NAND bin of your banned console.
Now you wonder how to get the CPU-key ... well by running XeLL of course!
To run XeLL u need to perform the JTAG hack (or the King Kong exploit, but that's even more outdated) ... and if you got banned the last few weeks it means you updated to the latest dashboard/kernel (else you can't get on LIVE).
And that's the problem... Microsoft patched the JTAG hack since kernel 849x (July 2009) ... so no way to boot up XeLL (= no realistic way for you to get the CPU-key atm) and thus no way to swap the KV data in your NAND image.
And then there's also added KV protection (hashing) on newer motherboards (Falcon+ ? and kernel 1888 won't boot on those), but if you can't even get your CPU-key it doesn't matter much to do deeper into this problem.
The only way it would work is if you retrieved the CPU-key of your old banned 360 before you updated to anything over 849x. If you did that you probably know about all of this and I'm not telling you anything new
Downgrading kernel is not an option either, older kernels won't boot as both kernel and CB fuses were burned during the various updates MS performed, and you can't bypass that without ... your CPU-key.

Hope that explains the situation a bit (tried to make it not 'too' technical)
On a side-note, it would probably be pretty easy for MS to detect KV-swaps (like HW-mismatches etc).
Side-note2: in case it wasn't obvious yet those "unban isos" are fake and iXtreme LT won't unban you (it will instead try to avoid new bans).
From XboxScene......

Last edited by StickyMicky; 16 November 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 17 November 2009, 12:18 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Works fine for offline even if you get banned .. and there is a flash to unban you now ..
i'm sorry but thats bull****!

ive just recovered my gamertag on a legit xbox so i'm back now

Just now it's too late and it's bedtime
Old 17 November 2009, 09:25 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I have to laugh at all these 'modders' who think they're clever on here. you just look like cheap cu.nts
Old 17 November 2009, 01:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ok ill bite........why do we think we're clever?.

As for cheap I've spent up to £200 for xbl content have you? I've bought 4 xbox's since they was release two premium and two elites.

Anyways when is SN gonna have cod night?
Old 17 November 2009, 01:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I have to laugh at all these 'modders' who think they're clever on here. you just look like cheap cu.nts
Originally Posted by antc
Ok ill bite........why do we think we're clever?.

As for cheap I've spent up to £200 for xbl content have you? I've bought 4 xbox's since they was release two premium and two elites.

Anyways when is SN gonna have cod night?
why did you reply to him, you're only going to make him feel important ..

I've spent £300+ on games since I modded my Xbox 360 .. funny how thats classed as cheap ..
Old 17 November 2009, 01:40 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
i'm sorry but thats bull****!

ive just recovered my gamertag on a legit xbox so i'm back now

Just now it's too late and it's bedtime
Which is ?

It works cause I'm using it now ..

and the unban .. iXtreme LT firmware, dunno if it works and have no plans to use it as I don't play online.
Old 17 November 2009, 02:22 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The unban firmware it don't exist the only way you could prevent a ban was backing up your nand before the summer 09 firmware.
As soon as you connect online after a few days you'l be banned.
The ixtreme firmware is suppsoed to be undectable but won't unban you. I have a unmodded xbox for my online play now.

But can't use it as I'm cheap and refuse to pay for games :d
Old 17 November 2009, 07:30 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Come on now - the lad's got a point, I hadn't bought a fcucking game until last Sunday..
Old 17 November 2009, 07:50 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Knock off Nigel?

Quick Reply: Who's been banned from Xbox live?