Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wii

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2008, 05:48 PM
richardhammond
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wii

Anyone got a Wii?
Old 04 April 2008, 06:19 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

i got a wii.....brilliant bit of kit
Old 04 April 2008, 06:21 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

yep me 3
best bit is wireless and surfing **** on ya widescreen lol
Old 04 April 2008, 07:01 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

lol - yeah the wireless bit is cool.....

needs more online games though I reckon. Getting mario kart next week which i believe is online gaming?
Old 04 April 2008, 09:34 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

looks good, unsure if it will be online gaming. I use the Xbox for my online gaming (Forza M2).

Only downside is the constant updates when you connect.
Mind you the browser is better now its not a demo.
Oh and now you can download customised Mii characters now too lol
Old 04 April 2008, 09:49 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

me too
good fun bit of kit... knackerin though
try that sonic olympics, screws your arms
Old 04 April 2008, 09:52 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

lol your right paul.
The boxing makes me sweat like a pig too, and kills your arms. Damn characters keep getting up!
Old 05 April 2008, 08:55 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im gonna get one next week after much deliberation. I think the release of Mario Kart next friday swayed me, although will be hard to get a copy.

BTW Sonic vs Mario Olympics is only £24.99 at Tesco at the mo - grab a copy whilst you can!

Simon
Old 05 April 2008, 07:10 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I've got one

Bought PES on Monday
Old 06 April 2008, 11:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Im gonna get one next week after much deliberation. I think the release of Mario Kart next friday swayed me, although will be hard to get a copy.

BTW Sonic vs Mario Olympics is only £24.99 at Tesco at the mo - grab a copy whilst you can!

Simon
Pre-orderd Mario Kart back in February with play.com. Got an e-mail off them the other day to say that due to Nintendo only pre-allocating so many copies, I will not be lucky enough to get a copy on launch day, and that when new stocks arrive, I will be line for a copy.
Old 07 April 2008, 10:15 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought one - didn't like and sold
Old 07 April 2008, 03:13 PM
Nash_Impreza
Scooby Regular

Our lass nagged and hagged and nagged and nagged and nagged for one of these....so i gave in, parted with £180....and what can i say.? what an absolute piece of ****

these consoles are only good for kids, for hardcore gamers, stay well clear.

the motion sensor controlers EAT batteries, for nearly every game u have to buy a bleeding adapter, u want to play 2 player, buy a new controler....u want to play this game buy a numchuck....and they aint cheap.

as soon as the novelty wears off for her then am gonna sell it.....the Wii that is
Old 07 April 2008, 08:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardhammond
Anyone got a Wii?
Yes.

Old 09 April 2008, 12:43 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nash_Impreza
Our lass nagged and hagged and nagged and nagged and nagged for one of these....so i gave in, parted with £180....and what can i say.? what an absolute piece of ****

these consoles are only good for kids, for hardcore gamers, stay well clear.

the motion sensor controlers EAT batteries, for nearly every game u have to buy a bleeding adapter, u want to play 2 player, buy a new controler....u want to play this game buy a numchuck....and they aint cheap.

as soon as the novelty wears off for her then am gonna sell it.....the Wii that is
I have to agree about most of what you say. One thing i want to add is just how brave were Nintendo to break into the wireless gaming at such a low price. Yeah its got flaws, but so did PS2, after development and peoples quotes, sony made it better & better. So in essence we need to moan about these narky things, to make things better.
I have an 360 for proper gaming, but use the wii as an entertainment toy, creates more atmosphere when you are all playing.
Old 09 April 2008, 01:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I find it pretty good for batteries to be honest, and ours gets alot of use. If you thought it was really bad you could always get re-chargeables or one of those charging stations for the controllers.

I prefer my PS3 for gaming mostly (actually my PC, but we're talking consoles here) but it is good fun when you have people round.

Also, I bought Resident Evil 4 for the Wii and it is one of the most enjoyabe games I have played on any format, and it's huge!

I think you have to pick what games you play on the Wii very carefully, there's an awful lot of stuff out there which is simply better suited to other, more competent consoles, but some of the games on there are wonderful.

Geezer
Old 09 April 2008, 01:46 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, the Wii is not for the serious gamer.
But it is great fun - especially for kids.
I've spent god knows how man hours playing wii sports alone.
My 9 year old daughter absolutely loves it.
Mario olympics is a hoot too.
Tiger woods 2008 is pretty good to play also.
I got call of duty, but its a bit too difficult

Wii play is a good laugh, but thats about it. Only bought if because of the free controller really.
Cow racing - very funny, and the little tank game is very addictive.

Shaun
Old 09 April 2008, 04:01 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
I find it pretty good for batteries to be honest, and ours gets alot of use. If you thought it was really bad you could always get re-chargeables or one of those charging stations for the controllers.

I prefer my PS3 for gaming mostly (actually my PC, but we're talking consoles here) but it is good fun when you have people round.

Also, I bought Resident Evil 4 for the Wii and it is one of the most enjoyabe games I have played on any format, and it's huge!

I think you have to pick what games you play on the Wii very carefully, there's an awful lot of stuff out there which is simply better suited to other, more competent consoles, but some of the games on there are wonderful.

Geezer
Same here

Stick some AA 2600mAH NiMH batteries in them and the last ages (providing you use a decent intelligent charger - not the junk that only uses a automatic timer- thus undercharges or overcharges. Either way, it degrades battery's capacity over time).

Would go for AA cells over a "charging station" kit: as they use AAA batteries which even the best ones are only 1000mAh, and the ones supplied will be alot less than that; fine as long as you remember to put them on charge after every use (presuming they use intellligent charging- otherwise it'll cause the batteries to end up with pathetic capacity after 2 years or so).

Games are hit and miss; here's some stuff I've played to date:

I find RE4 good, but the controls take a bit to master.

Driver Parallel lines is a good laugh; Same ingredients as the original Driver game; controls work well too. Bit too easy, or maybe I was too good

Mercury Meltdown was made for this control interface; not the most thrilling of games, but addictive.

Mario Galaxy; Not got to grips with it, Seem overrated if you ask me.

Wii Sports; Just add beer and mates

Brain acadamy; annoying yet strangely addictive

Rayman Rabid Rabbid; Erm. Bonkers! Not brilliant, but entertaining at least.

Wii Play; absolutely rubbish. It's just a training game to help you figure out the remote.

Will get a PS3 sometime in the fuiture; but whilst prices are at plainly stupid levels, there is no way I'm buying one until it drops considerably.

Last edited by Shark Man; 09 April 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10 April 2008, 01:11 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep got one and go through phases, sometimes it gets used alot and sometimes it collects dust, great in a social situation when youve got friends round.

BBC iplayer is coming to wii as well!
Old 10 April 2008, 01:27 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Yep got one and go through phases, sometimes it gets used alot and sometimes it collects dust, great in a social situation when youve got friends round.

BBC iplayer is coming to wii as well!
Its already here, but you have to use the web browser.
Old 10 April 2008, 02:11 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by chrisowe
Its already here, but you have to use the web browser.
Oh joy, the browser on the Wii ain't great

Geezer
Old 13 April 2008, 03:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I bought a battery charger for a tenner from B&Q, I must charge every 3 weeks so that isn't too bad. I have two sets of batteries so it doesn't stop me playing either.

The games I have -

Red Steel, Zelda, Resident Evil, Trauma Center, Mario Strikers Charged, Medal of Honor 2, Super Paper Mario, Pro Evo Soccer and Mario Kart.

I wouldn't call any of those light gaming/kids games. I've played Red Steel for 2 hours solid without realsing the time pass before, arms were killing me from the sword fights too. Zeldas a slow starter that gets pretty good once going. Resident Evil is one of the best I've played and sounds immense in surround sound. Medal of Honor online gets pretty crazy when theres 30 of you and the adrenaline gets going. Pro Evo is the best football game I've ever played with perfect controls. Mario Kart is great fun with the wheel too.

Theres a handful of games to appeal to hardcore gamers. If you don't like those stick to the PS3 and 360!
Old 13 April 2008, 04:51 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Ive just bought another Wii and there still in very short supply over here (Canada ) I had one in the UK and loved it but sold it before moving over here . Its a great bit of kit and I feed it through a Yamaha RX-V 1800 HDMI upscaling amp and it looks very good not quite as good as the PS3 but then that just gets used for movie playing , The Wii and PS3 is a perfect soloution for me both machines reliable the PS3 handles the media playing perfectly while the Wii is the best games machine on the market IMO .