Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Freeserve AnyTime?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2001, 09:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone on here use Freeserve AnyTime? Whats the service like e.g slow or problems connecting?
I am currently using Freeserve HomeTime which means I can use the internet after 6pm & on the weekends as much as I like. Just got a letter from them saying the HomeTime package is going up to £10.99 per month! if I dont wish to use this then the current service I am using will change to "pay as you go".
I have the option to join Freeserve AnyTime at half price for the first 6 months (£6.49) then pay £12.99 per month after that and use it day or night.....so if anyone has any comments about this service, good or bad, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Old 01 January 2002, 11:44 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I use freeserve anytime on ISDN and very happy with it. I've been using it now for about 7 months in which time I've had two evenings where it was unavailable (one of which may have been my fault anyway)

Early evening as you would expect connection can take a while but on ISDN that means 20/30secs not 2 or 3 as usual. Never more than that. Throughput is great. Ping for online games is great consistently about 55/60 in Counter-Strike. When I first had it there did seem a fair amount of lag but that may just have been the servers at the time.

At one time I tried to complain about their caching (when scoobynet was all .html rather than .asp and pages wouldn't refresh) and got nowhere. Technical E-Mail support is not available - its the support line or nothing.

Overall for a Mass Market ISP I would say 8/10

Deano
Old 01 January 2002, 05:22 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Been with Freeserve for a period of time with no real problems.

Forget support as all you get via E mail is a standard E mail that never answers your first query. gave up in the end.

Most times get on line first time.
Old 01 January 2002, 05:27 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

I did the same switch a few weeks ago.
The service seems to be the same, so if you have been
happy with Hometime then you should be fine with Anytime, plus of
course no more waiting for 6pm.
Old 01 January 2002, 06:26 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

we swapped from thingy to anytime, seems OK to me It does sometimes go a bit slow sometimes but I find if I disconnect and then reconnect it picks up. You seem to get cut off every two hours or so though, is this standard practise though? I'm no whizz kid really!

Bob
Old 01 January 2002, 06:43 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was with Freeserve Anytime and had problems with it being very slow. After a while it sorted itself out and then when I changed to BT highways (ISDN phone lines) I couldn't get any help with them what so ever, so I gave up. I then joined AOL and they have a freephone for support and after several phone calls to them trying various different things (they even phoned me back twice) I got it sorted.
£15 per month but of course you try their 1 month trial and then cancel it (well try to and they give you another free month, then another, then another, but I didn't tell you that!)

Steve
Old 01 January 2002, 07:15 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

We are on freeserve Hometime.Good service.
At my mums house they are on Freeserve Anytime,£12 isnt bad for unlimited web access,day and night.They have had no problems with it.

If you hammer the web day and night then i think its a good deal.

Just my thought.

Duncan
Old 01 January 2002, 07:37 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Yes. 2Hr cut-off is normal. ISDN just reconnects
Old 01 January 2002, 09:00 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

No probs for me either on Anytime Freeserve. Well worth it, if you're a proper net freak though you might look at broadband as that takes something like 3mins to download 10mb files.
Old 02 January 2002, 11:43 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Just moved from Freeserve Anytime to BT Openworld ADSL as I'm fed up with Anytime being so slow - never got a connection of over 28.8 to work for longer than about a minute. Getting online at > 28.8 was never a problem, just staying there!!!!

Happy with Openworld thus far, although they made a monumental mess of the installation and I'm awaiting compensation (got 10 months free line rental on my voice line as they cut that for a while, now waiting for Openworld's offer on missed installation dates).

Simon.
Old 02 January 2002, 01:14 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Been on Freeserve Anytime for some time now. Very happy with the service, I regularly get 46-48k speeds and hardly ever fail to connect first time.

If I do upgrade, it won't be to ISDN, I would go straight to ADSL or cable.