Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

windows media centre/center extender...suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2007, 01:31 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows media centre/center extender...suggestions please

i have a windows media centre pc at home running on my cat5e network and am just about ready to sort of the "extender" side of things. i don't have an xbox and don't really want another games console, so would prefer to avoid the xbox side of things for the moment.
i know dlink, linksys, phillips and HP made "WMC Extenders" but am wondering if anyone on here is running this type of system. the obvious alternative (to my techno-limited mind) is a more simple digital streaming device (like medi@TV or a hauppage thingy).
does anyone have experience of this type of installation or know where i could look? i've tried web searches, the green button a few AV forums, but haven't been able to find a cost-effective solution for the moment. when i'm a little further down the line with all this, i'll probably just buy an HD dlink system but am looking for something to test the whole system in the short term

any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06 February 2007, 08:52 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

think i've answered my own question. in case anyone else is interested, the linksys dsm 320 (HD version also available) is all over ebay - eBay.co.uk: D-Link Media Lounge DSM-320RD (item 130075810113 end time 09-Feb-07 12:08:15 GMT)
Old 06 February 2007, 09:04 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Thats not the same as a proper extender, currently in the UK the only true extender is the Xbox360. Windows media connect can install on any flavour of XP.

You can stream from the ebay one but not play live tv.

Last edited by mannyo; 06 February 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06 February 2007, 03:04 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for the tip. streaming is all i'm after for the moment really as the location of the box will be next to the sky box in the lounge (ie tv quality from the sky box will be better than on the linksys thingy).