Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Re-wiring existing network cabling from 100Mbps to 1000Mbps

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2007, 06:22 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-wiring existing network cabling from 100Mbps to 1000Mbps

Some advice please

We have an existing 100Mbps LAN, with 20 workstations and 2 servers hanging off it. We need to re-wire the LAN to accomodate additional workstations all over the place.

First up, is it now standard to upgrade from 100Mbps to 1000Mbps ? Just as it was to upgrade from 10Mbps to 100Mbps ?

Secondly, we come close to the know limitations of CAT5 cable lengths - so I assume any move to 1000Mbps will exacerbate the problem. I'll have to put a switch in the middle of one long cable run, to refresh the signal I'd assume.

Thirdly, would it be prudent for every network (computer) socket, to add an additional socket for VOIP - we don't use VOIP at the moment, but I assume its becoming more common for businesses. Will need to research this, but it would be nice to have the facility ready in place.
Old 08 January 2007, 08:40 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Eeek, you rewiring everything just to get more points? Or did I read that wrong?

You don't necessarily need to go gigabit unless you need the speed? Also a cost factor...

How close are you to the limit? We run some points past the limit and have no problems. Some cable seem to have more headroom that allows that extra length, not within spec but will work...

Have you thought about wiring back to another frame and run a fibred switch there?

For voip, depending on the system chosen, you can get away with a single drop to each desk. Phones like Cisco's, Avaya etc will have a built in switch which allows you to daisy chain the pc off the phone...

If you go voip with poe, then you might as well throw gigabit to the desktop out the window.. Don't forget about QoS!

Sorry about the answers, I'm speaking my mind as they say..
Old 08 January 2007, 09:17 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Some advice please

We have an existing 100Mbps LAN, with 20 workstations and 2 servers hanging off it. We need to re-wire the LAN to accomodate additional workstations all over the place.

First up, is it now standard to upgrade from 100Mbps to 1000Mbps ? Just as it was to upgrade from 10Mbps to 100Mbps ?

Secondly, we come close to the know limitations of CAT5 cable lengths - so I assume any move to 1000Mbps will exacerbate the problem. I'll have to put a switch in the middle of one long cable run, to refresh the signal I'd assume.

Thirdly, would it be prudent for every network (computer) socket, to add an additional socket for VOIP - we don't use VOIP at the moment, but I assume its becoming more common for businesses. Will need to research this, but it would be nice to have the facility ready in place.
1st: If you've got good quality 100M to your desktops, unless you've got a compelling reason to upgrade I wouldn't bother. To do 1G properly, you'd need to replace all the wiring (not forgetting that the maximum bend radius of Cat 6 is greater than Cat 5 and hence harder to "wrap" around beams and the like), all patch cables, potentially NICs and your patch panel. In a normal office having 1G between the servers would normally be enough.

2nd: Apart from the greater difficulties (see above) in cabling the stuff the (theoretical) limit is still 100m. But as HHxx says, try it and see. Or, what about running in fibre instead - that would be preferable to "booster" switches?

3rd: All VoIP handsets I've seen have a pass thru for the PC so I wouldn't wire in extra, but if you are re-wiring everything anyway, putting in extra drops to each desk cannot hurt.

All in IMHO
Old 08 January 2007, 09:42 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Ah, ok. I get the picture thanks. Some great info fellas - thanks.

Originally Posted by Miles
In a normal office having 1G between the servers would normally be enough.
This is interesting. At present the 2 servers simply sit on the 100Mbps LAN like all the other machines. The new one has 2no Gigabit NICs onboard of which only one is used - to plug into the 100Mbps LAN. The older server has one 100Mbps NIC.

Is it worth linking the 2 servers together over 1000Mbps ? I take it I'd need a 1000Mbps switch ? Or will a cross-over do it ? I can fit an additional NIC into the older server no problem.

Will both OS's need any configuring to use this connection ? Win2k Server (pdc) and Win2k3 Server (standalone)

I apologise for my ignorance on the subject!
Old 08 January 2007, 09:50 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just get a 3com Unified switch, gigabit to desktop, managed wireless, VOIP and a number of phone lines

Stackable too

Old 08 January 2007, 09:53 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
This is interesting. At present the 2 servers simply sit on the 100Mbps LAN like all the other machines. The new one has 2no Gigabit NICs onboard of which only one is used - to plug into the 100Mbps LAN. The older server has one 100Mbps NIC.

Is it worth linking the 2 servers together over 1000Mbps ? I take it I'd need a 1000Mbps switch ? Or will a cross-over do it ? I can fit an additional NIC into the older server no problem.

Will both OS's need any configuring to use this connection ? Win2k Server (pdc) and Win2k3 Server (standalone)
It's probably more important having your servers plugged into a Gigabit switch, having a cross-over may lead to routing loops and having the servers on a bigger pipe to the rest of the network will help increase performance of your 100M desktops. You should be be able to fit an additional NIC to the older server box to get it at 1G.

Generally with Gigabit NICs, no speed/duplex configuration is needed, they should auto sense the 1Gb connection for both W2K and W2K3.

Last edited by Miles; 08 January 2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08 January 2007, 10:50 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Miles, thanks for the info. Will definitely look into that. Its a 7 year old server. Can you recommend a good 1gig PCI NIC ? Perhaps something that does a lot of its processing onboard the NIC - opposed to using the host's CPU ?

Sonic, thanks for the input - might check that as an option.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 08 January 2007 at 10:55 PM.