Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Woohoo! XBOX360 in my hands! 6 hours later it crashes...

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2005, 12:50 PM
Kael
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woohoo! XBOX360 in my hands! 6 hours later it crashes...

Bugger bugger bugger Finally got my 360 yesterday (Cos I was away on business for the week and couldn't get it Friday ) and playing on NFS and PGR3 for 6 hours. Then all of a sudden.... black and white screen.

Oh well I think. It's a MS product, reboot! And now on the ray of light or whatever the **** they call it instead of being nice green, it has 3 red lights going anti clockwise with the top right one not being illuminated.

No more XBox for me.... It just won't load again.

Rang Microsoft, they don't know the fault and 10 working days time I should have my new one.

Poo
Old 04 December 2005, 01:00 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

SYMPTOMS
You see three lights on the Ring of Light flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console. The upper-right quadrant light is the only light that does not flash red.

CAUSE
This behavior occurs when the Xbox 360 console experiences a hardware failure.

THINGS TO TRY
1. Restart the console.
2. If that does not resolve the issue, unplug all the cables from the console, and then firmly plug the cables in.
3. Have the customer power-off the console, remove the hard disk drive, and then turn on the console.
• If the 3x Red LED error light is no longer displayed, have the customer turn-off the console, re-attach the hard disk drive, and then turn on the console.
4. If you continue to experience this behavior, contact Xbox Customer Support.
Old 04 December 2005, 01:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heard it can be the power supply that overheats after 6-7 hours
Feel they released this a little earlier than they should have, give it 6 months to iron all the bugs out

Tony
Old 04 December 2005, 01:18 PM
Kael
Scooby Regular

Cheers Wah

Still no joy though. I only got the core system so no harddisk to remove.

Power supply was in open area, cos I was got it, found the plug free was at the opposite side of the room, and ran it across the floor Excitement and all that

Oh well, as they say it happens. New XBox coming but no power supply, just the XBox.... Hope thats all what it is.
Old 04 December 2005, 02:10 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I was on mine for about 12 hours on Friday, and didn't suffer any problems at all with overheating or anything else. I have got the power supply on a shelf though (not on the carpet). This could help keep it cooler I suppose. I know that it neve once got hot to the touch (just vaguely warm).

Good luck with the replacement..
Old 04 December 2005, 03:24 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Anybody else noticed that some of the ventilation holes on the console have not been punched out... Noticed it last night on mine, there are about a dozen of the holes that are solid...

It's not affecting mine but might be worth checking your consoles... I also heard that having the power supply on the carpet can cause overheating....
Old 05 December 2005, 02:24 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Mogsi
It's not affecting mine but might be worth checking your consoles... I also heard that having the power supply on the carpet can cause overheating....
Unbelievable! You think MS would of taken this into account wouldn't you Or have all homes in US got wooden/hard floors or something
Old 05 December 2005, 02:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not really unbelievable, just common sense really.

Any computer hardware of this sort of power is going to generate a lot of heat, and that heat has got to be gotten rid of somehow. If you snuggle the power supply down in a nice comfy bit of carpet then it will not be able to get rid of the heat as quickly, (the carpet will act as an insulator), and so the chances of it overheating are increased. Also, carpets are generally dusty places, the power supply has a fan in it sucking in air. Youd basically be turning your power supply into a vacumn cleaner. Not a good idea...

As a note of interest, the power supplies for both my laptops (one Alienware and one Dell) have exactly the same instructions / restrictions.

Clocked up 30+ hours on mine now, and no sign of overheating, or even getting overly warm on mine. Power supply is sat on a shelf behind my AV amp
Old 05 December 2005, 04:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

are they made of chocolate like subaru engines
Old 06 December 2005, 11:02 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Not really unbelievable, just common sense really.
Rambling snipped...
Please, I've never come across any console/laptop PSU that doesn't work, fails or overheats on a feckin carpet! It's a design fault, period! As you say, they obviously haven't allowed for the heat to be dispersed out of it properly.
Old 06 December 2005, 11:11 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You've obviously never use an Alienware laptop then. I have to make a point of not putting the psu on the carpet, as you could fry an egg on it if you do. Same with my Dell psu...
Old 06 December 2005, 11:55 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Dell yes, alienware no.

Don't you hoover very often then?
Old 06 December 2005, 11:59 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yes I do
Old 06 December 2005, 12:09 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

is this the same as pcs? if ive got my pc on the carpet (tho psu at top of tower) will it be increasing the overall internal temp? ive got several old P2 heatsinks i could sit the pc on
Old 06 December 2005, 12:13 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yeh with PCs case cooling is critical so yes I would raise it off the carpet. I don't think a few heatsinks would be high enough though Just monitor your temps in the bios or with motherboard monitor, if the cpu temp is below 45-50C on idle and no more than 60C on load, I wouldnt worry though. Case/mobo temps sbe in the 20-30C bracket.
Old 06 December 2005, 12:21 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Which is also why it's critical with the 360 psu, as it's essentially a pc psu in a smaller case
Old 06 December 2005, 12:26 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Not denying that. MS should have taken this into account though, as it's pretty obvious the majority of PSUs would spend most of their lives on carpets. Are there any recommendations in the manual about taking precautions with the PSU?
Old 06 December 2005, 12:31 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Agreed, they should've designed it better as most people wil lhave it sitting on the carpet, I would have no choice to place it on the carpet, other than building some sort of holder for it to sit off the floor, which seems a bit extreme for a console.
Old 06 December 2005, 12:33 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

its these dodgy taiwanese again, like the xbox power cord problem...
Old 06 December 2005, 12:36 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Are there any recommendations in the manual about taking precautions with the PSU?
Not got the manual with me here at work, but if I remember correctly then yes it has, (as it also has with the console itself).
Old 06 December 2005, 12:40 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, how would you lot have designed it then?

The psu needs to provide a large amount of power to the console, (seeing as the console needs just as much juice as a high-spec pc), and so will generate a lot of heat. Off the top of my head I can see a few options...

1) Make the psu twice the size and integrate better cooling into it. Perhaps a water cooled heat sink?

2) Have the psu inside the console itself, making the console at least twice the size that it is at present.

3) Reduce the power of the console so that it doesn't require as much power.

There may be others, but for life of me I can't think of a better solution than what MS have actually shipped...
Old 06 December 2005, 12:42 PM
Mrboost
Scooby Regular

yeah played mine all day friday no problems, managed to let the young one have a play a couple of hours later on gun and it crashed 4 times, restarted and worked okay eventually
Old 06 December 2005, 12:55 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

As a note of interest, the power supplies for both my laptops (one Alienware and one Dell) have exactly the same instructions / restrictions.
Typical ugly PC features, my Powerbook has a single tiny power supply that plugs directly into the wall.
Old 06 December 2005, 01:02 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Out of interest, how would you lot have designed it then?

The psu needs to provide a large amount of power to the console, (seeing as the console needs just as much juice as a high-spec pc), and so will generate a lot of heat. Off the top of my head I can see a few options...

1) Make the psu twice the size and integrate better cooling into it. Perhaps a water cooled heat sink?

2) Have the psu inside the console itself, making the console at least twice the size that it is at present.

3) Reduce the power of the console so that it doesn't require as much power.

There may be others, but for life of me I can't think of a better solution than what MS have actually shipped...
For pure simplicity, they could have just included a PSU stand, just a simple 4 legged stand that would lift it off the floor. Not very attractive, but at least it would solve the cooling issue.

The whole 360 launch smells of Christmas rush to me
Old 06 December 2005, 01:12 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i thought i read they were going to water cool it or was that the ps3? if the ps3 wasnt going to im sure they will now
Old 06 December 2005, 01:26 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

....my Xbox (not the 360) broke 2 months back, called Xbox support, they collected it, repaired it and returned it in 3 days (quoted me 14 days turnaround) - far better support service than any other product I've ever bought.

So, although your 360 has a problem, you should get it sorted relatively quickly, I would have thought.

Neil
Old 06 December 2005, 01:50 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
i thought i read they were going to water cool it or was that the ps3? if the ps3 wasnt going to im sure they will now
The 360 is liquid cooled....

One of the surprises we found when checking the Xbox 360 innards was its cooling solution. To keep things quiet and cool, Microsoft has designed a liquid cooling system that dynamically adjusts the flow of the liquid and the speed of the fans depending on the temperature and power consumption.

This intelligent approach has allowed Microsoft to build smaller console by removing the traditional heatsinks found in most computer and replacing them with a combination of fans and liquid cooling. This combo is more efficient and keeps the processor at a lower temperature than the original Xbox, which is a remarkable achievement considering the higher clock speeds and power consumption that the new Xbox 360 hardware has in comparison with the old console.
Old 06 December 2005, 01:59 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Aren't you supposed to flush liquid cooled systems to clear out the gunky deposits that appear over time?
Old 06 December 2005, 02:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

First I've heard of that. If they are filled with the right sort of liquid and ar sealed properly, there should be no deposit build up.

Out of interested, did you know that the 360 isn't the first console to be liquid cooled. The Dreamcast used it as well, and mine is still running perfectly well without even having had to be flushed
Old 06 December 2005, 02:21 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

No I didn't know that

I only asked as I looked into water cooling my PC at one point but saw the wonderful fish tank effect where it would gunk up with kak and needed flushing. I thought it was something to do with the heat providing a nice breeding ground for organisms. Probably with it being a home setup with not perfectly sterile water setup in a non-sterile environment wouldn't help much

It was enough to put me off water cooled PCs anyway

Quick Reply: Woohoo! XBOX360 in my hands! 6 hours later it crashes...