Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Game controller for Mac

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2018, 10:49 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Game controller for Mac

Hi All,

I want to connect an Xbox 360 (yes, a 360!!) controller to my Mac to play a drone sim; Velocidrone specifically if anyone knows if that makes a difference.

Is this possible and what's the best way to do it?

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 08 December 2018, 11:30 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Pro...ller/OsxDriver
Old 08 December 2018, 11:45 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I use this - https://github.com/360Controller/360Controller/releases

Although, now I'm looking for it I realise I haven't used it in a long time. I'm still running version 0.16.4 and they're now on version 0.16.10. Can't remember any problems running a 360 controller but I did have a few with an Xbox One controller. I remember in Bioshock Infinite the One controller just wouldn't work. Something to do with an incompatibility with the inbuilt controller support due to it being a proper Mac conversion. It's always possible that's been fixed by now.
Old 08 December 2018, 09:21 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Thanks,

I probably know the answer to this but I guess an original xbox wireless adaptor won't work?
Old 08 December 2018, 10:02 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

This is in the read me for the driver I linked:

Wireless Xbox 360 Controllers

As of macOS 10.11, Wireless Xbox 360 controller support causes kernel panics. This issue cannot be resolved with minor changes to the driver, and requires that the driver be re-written from scratch to resolve the issue. Due to an excess of caution, we have disabled Wireless Xbox 360 controller support as of 0.16.6. If you want to use a wireless controller, download 0.16.5 or earlier and disable the driver before the computer enters a "sleep" state in order to prevent kernel panics. Alternatively, you can revert to a macOS version before 10.11 to avoid this issue.
So sounds like a no unless you're running outdated software. If you've only got a wireless 360 controller right now, you're going to need to get yourself a wired controller or an Xbox One controller (or any other compatible controller). I had kind of forgotten the 360 controllers were usually wireless, I'm one of those weird people who uses all their controllers with a cable, except the PS4 and that's only because it has a built in battery, not that it lasts that long.
Old 11 December 2018, 09:42 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pointers all. Got the wired controller to work using the Github driver, but had to install an earlier version.