Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Gigaclear question.

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2018, 11:15 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gigaclear question.

I don't do technology, a paperclip is challenging.
Used to live in an area where BT upgraded to super fast broadband. We were BT customers, phone and ISP package, nice and easy, worked OK, subscribed to super fast, no problems, all OK.
Moved.
Live in the sticks, use BT but now super slow over telephone cable. Gigaclear has now cabled the hamlet and it will be available very soon. Sounds good up from 3mbs to 50mbs, a no brainer. Gigaclear want just over £40/month for this service but I have no idea what I will get, what this cable means !!??.
i.e.
We want to keep our @btinternet.com email address so does this mean we will still have to pay our existing package fee to BT in order to keep this plus the £40+ to Gigaclear to get it super fast ?
Cheers
bbl
Old 19 June 2018, 12:37 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

A quick Google says you should be able to keep your email but you will have to subscribe to the email account separately for £5 a month. See here.

I've just had a quick look on their site and their cheapest package offers a 50Mbps connection. Bear in mind that is 50 MegaBITS, not MegaBYTES so don't go expecting to download a 50MB file in a second, it will actually take 8 seconds in a perfect world as there are 8 Megabits (Mb) in a Megabyte (MB). It's obvious to some but I know a lot of people get the wrong expectations when they buy their internet. Doesn't help when customer service agents say Megabytes on the phone either because they're just completely unaware of any difference.

Watch those installation costs too, they might have cabled your street but they will still need to install all the way to your house. If this cable is going to be more than 10m to your router location from the connection point then the cost rockets up to £200.

Also if you get your phone from them, bear in mind that your phone will not work if your broadband connection goes down as it is internet based. No plugging an old phone into the wall socket in an emergency. Looks like you can get around this by going with another provider for phone.
Old 19 June 2018, 07:55 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You, a perfect explanation.
Cheers
Brian.