Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WiFly!

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2017, 03:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default WiFly!

For a sort of geek/networks person, I've never really paid attention to my WiFi router, instead relying on what the ISP provided. In this case TalkTalk business's supplied Huawei SuperRouter ( ) It works, its got a reasonable firewall and why should it need to be faster than the claimed 100mbs or whatever it is when Broadband is only 60mbs?

Well, in this case the downside of this router was the routing. For some unfathomable reason that I couldn't pin down, it was getting it's knickers in a twist when I was trying to remotely access my NVR (http:// 80) as I had another camera (http:// 888) on the same lan segment. It would work for a few hours, then I needed to reboot to get remote viewing again.

Anyway, can't put cam on back of NVR (firmware issue) & after a number of re-installs decided to get a new router. Hit the research button for VDSL WiFi routers and came up with a TP-Link Archer D9 AC1900, so got one of them with 2.4 & 5ghz ranges.

Fired it all up (simple enough) and then started browsing and it was like I'd got a completely new network on a majorly fast connection! Pages load up effortlessly & quickly, a complete difference to what it was previously. Opened the required ports for the NVR and that worked straight away and again the images are served quicker than before and it hasn't jammed once. As a bonus, I've also not had to put in an "internal profile" so that I can see the house cams from inside the network (ie on private internal range, not external IP). Netflix on the TV (via WiFi) is also a lot quicker to load up and I've not had any stuttering.

Can't believe I've been so useless in considering upgrading WiFi router before now - definitely worthwhile doing. I've ordered another C9 (non ADSL/VDSL version) for my place in Wales, the only shame is it doesn't support IPSec like the D9.

So, anyone that's suffering from congested or slow WiFi/Broadband, worthwhile upgrading your router if you've not done it.
Old 08 August 2017, 07:47 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm currently going down the same path -- looking at an Asus one (includes a VPN client :: and a usb port for streaming/NAS)
Old 09 August 2017, 10:54 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still using my Juniper SSG 5 on fibre but works very well. Cisco 877W was great until I got ADSL2, the modem can't really do it. Another one to look at is this

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

Had a play with mine and impressed so far.

I have a /29 with Zen and use static NAT entries. Both the Juniper and Cisco did this very well

Last edited by mike1210; 09 August 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09 August 2017, 01:53 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So for the average guy is it worth upgrading the router? Mine is purely for surfing no cctv etc.
Old 09 August 2017, 03:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can make a huge difference.

My LAN has the networking equivalent of a misfire LOL.

I didn't realise until Vigin fitted a newer version of Superhub that can get WiFi throughput faster than 450mbps, the newer AC version does 1.5Gbps (although you need to be within 1metre of the router to get that kind of speed )

Before I was getting around 400mbps on internal file transfers which is about as fast as the wifi, fingered it was about right, but interweb had hiccups and general randomness (which I blamed on Virgin), NAS a bit laggy, desktop PC not 100% either etc.

Tried the laptop straight to the Superhub in 5Ghz AC and got a 1Gbps+ connection speed and Internet was snappy with perfect speed tests (200mb package) and single figure pings, tried the PC on wired LAN, Speed test jumping all over the place 150Mbps end result and a ping in double figures.

Tried to transfer a file to PC from laptop, could only manage about 200Mbps throughput on a gigabit LAN, tried connecting PC direct to Superhub isolated from the rest of the LAN, no better, tried another cat6 LAN cable, made it worse (Amazon basics ). Borrowed my mums Asus laptop that has a Ethernet socket (my laptop doesn't ), again maxed out at 200ish Mbps though the internal LAN, but direct to Superhub with the rest of the LAN isolated gave a perfect 1gbps ish throughout to my laptop.

So I have at least one dodgy cable, the Desktop PC is not right AND something is up with my LAN after the Superhub (which usually is just used as a gateway).

So really I have to thank the new Superhub router on quickly making me aware that my internet issues was nothing to do with virgin or their kit File transfer to my NAS were always slow as it maxes out at 200mbps anyway, so I never noticed.

I'm yet to look into it further but I have three suspects (other than any Amazon patch cables); A £20 TP link switch, or the Hikvision NVR flooding the network or Mr Mouse has been chewing wires.

First job is to crawl into the attic with my elusive punch down tool (which is always getting lost ), and double check all the connections on the main patch panel: Seemed a nice place to hide it at the time

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 August 2017 at 03:51 PM.