Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

expander

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2017, 01:12 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default expander

This might be a numpty question at home I use BT for my internet and its fine all round my house no problem but I have a very large garden and at the top approx 60mtres away I have a large summerhouse and wired electrics inside (underground armoured cable from the house RCD fuse board to an RCD fuse board in the summerhouse) what is going to be the best/cheapest way of getting broadband signal to my summerhouse I have seen the expanders which plug into your sockets and use the mains cable as a signal carrier would this work in the summerhouse with what I have.??
Old 24 June 2017, 01:58 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the mains is in the summerhouse then the AC ones will work, and they work at 100Mb. You can get wifi repeaters, but they tend to be hit and miss.
Old 29 June 2017, 11:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search in NSR on the same subject, there is a big thread on it came up earlier this year but essentially TPLink mains expanders are what you need.
Old 29 June 2017, 11:16 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has used the tp link BT extender for a similar reasons. No wifi in the garage. It works perfect and at about £30 is cheap as chips! Give it a try mate
Old 30 June 2017, 09:48 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Went for the BT expander works spot on