Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apples Watch and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2015, 02:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Deluded. Come back in a year or so when you're wearing the same or similar. It's the iPhone launch all over again.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Deluded. Come back in a year or so when you're wearing the same or similar. It's the iPhone launch all over again.
Deluded about what? The fact it's not waterproof or has a very short battery life? Where's the delusion?
Is using facts actually a form of delusion?
Old 01 May 2015, 02:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can see it'll suit a lot of casual exercisers with an iphone

And clearly too much money
Old 01 May 2015, 03:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Deluded about what? The fact it's not waterproof or has a very short battery life? Where's the delusion?
Is using facts actually a form of delusion?
Why are you being a fool today, I've not noticed a shortage around here.

"Needs charging EVERY day and it's a WATCH?"

Easily lasts two, 72 if you want to use it as a "WATCH".

"If a "sports" watch used for health tracking can't even be used for running or cycling in rain, what use is it?"

Can be used swimming.

Those are the two mainstays of your posting here and both were quickly debunked, yet you carry on, that's deluded.

Your watch is very nice Mattyboy and if this was 2010 I might have bought one, but it has limited function, a terrible display and is basically unsupported, I can somewhat understand your bad feelings for the Apple watch, I'd be upset if I could have waited and got more for my money.
Old 01 May 2015, 03:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
I can see it'll suit a lot of casual exercisers with an iphone

And clearly too much money
Casual, LOL, sorry Christy you didn't run far enough or often enough for dpb, he's a true athlete.
Old 01 May 2015, 03:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Why the character slurs over a piece of tech?
I had the choice over either; it's not a money issue. I chose the best option by miles. You're not a sea swimmer, surfer, MTBer are you? Because the Apple watch is no good for any of these activities.
Dated? I get regular software and firmware updates.

I'd rather have the tool for the job; GPS watch for activities, G shock tide watch for surfing, Seiko automatic dive watch for looking slightly smart. I'd feel like a metrosexual goon with an Apple watch.
Old 01 May 2015, 04:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Metrosexual goon who requires an altimeter
Old 01 May 2015, 04:44 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

That ten mile run has 1600m of climbing; my word it was hard!!
Old 01 May 2015, 04:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Why the character slurs over a piece of tech?
I had the choice over either; it's not a money issue. I chose the best option by miles. You're not a sea swimmer, surfer, MTBer are you? Because the Apple watch is no good for any of these activities.
Dated? I get regular software and firmware updates.

I'd rather have the tool for the job; GPS watch for activities, G shock tide watch for surfing, Seiko automatic dive watch for looking slightly smart. I'd feel like a metrosexual goon with an Apple watch.
You started with the slurs, I reacted. I road ride and paraglide, it's proved great for biking already and paragliding is going to be very good. Why you think it's no good for mountain biking I have no idea, it has all the features of your Suunto and more.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Because it's NOT WATERPROOF. I've been soaked many a time MTBinb; I'm talking proper MTBing, not a pootle around a park.

Yours isn't waterproof, has no accelerometer, no proper barometer, no proper compass, has a fraction of the battery life, is nowhere near as robust; sorry you said yours has ALL the features of mine? I could list more but I may as well shout at a boulder.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

What do you want, a picture of me in the bath wearing my Watch? I've already been out riding in pouring rain and guess what, it's fine, Tim Cook stated months ago that he wears his in the shower.

So, isn't waterproof, correct, but you could ride your mountain bike wearing it in a swimming pool and it will be fine.
Barometer, Yes.
Accelerometer, Yes.
I'll give you the compass but having owned Suunto watches for ten years can assure you yours is useless. GPS covers that.
A fraction of the battery life but a whole lot more function.
Is robust http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/01/...ces-new-tests/

You really need to research things before mouthing off, you're making yourself look silly.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

So it isn't waterproof but you can wear it swimming? You're okay with wearing a £400 tarted up Casio swimming? Honestly? So what if it gets water damaged? Do you think Apple will just replace it without question?

The Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. This means the watch will survive if you wash your hands while wearing it or if it gets caught in the occasional rain storm, but you should take it off when swimming.

Here's just one example of how I wouldn't trust one an inch; Apple says don't swim with it but do run it under a tap (at potentially high pressure) to fix a random sticking crown issue...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-...-sticky-2015-5

Now you quote the 72 hours battery life - that's just the power RESERVE.
It's 48 hours JUST AS A WATCH.
It's 6.5 hours for a workout - no good for a good cycle ride or endurance race.
And we all know how in reality these battery lives are way way shorter - take my iPhone 6 for example - it often doesn't last until the evening on a charge.

The heart rate sensor uses new technology that doesn't work over tattoos or dark skin - perfect for your place skinned UKIP supporter.

My HRM works in any conditions, even in the water.

You are spouting utter nonsense - the Apple watch is designed for the fad obsessed city boy who occasionally jogs around the block. It's very feminine on appearance. It has a terrible battery life. It's not a sports watch.

It's a Louis Vitton pair of trainers that split at the first sign of running.
It's an Audi S-line diesel with 140bhp but faux RS looks.
It's a fake Omega Seamaster with no waterproofing.
It's a slightly shiny Next suit.

Apple has goofed on this one - maybe later iterations will address fundamental issues but you won't be seeing any serious sports people using it. You aren't one. I am and with the results to prove it.

End of.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 01 May 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Pebble time lasts a week casual puddle dodgers
Old 01 May 2015, 06:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You know dc rainmaker hasn't mentioned iwatch once in his list of possible sports watches
Old 01 May 2015, 06:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Power reserve is just a watch, it shows the time, like a watch and so far Apple have over delivered on battery life, 1 day quoted, 2 days easily achieved. The workout mode you talk of has constant heart rate monitoring, turn it off and go back to once a minute, keep running for 48 hours if that's your bag.

I've stated nothing but facts as a user, you're just making stuff up trying to be the class clown.
Old 01 May 2015, 06:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apple has goofed on this one - maybe later iterations will address fundamental issues but you won't be seeing any serious sports people using it. You aren't one. I am and with the results to prove it.

End of.
Again you sound just like a blackberry user in 07, it's laughable and not with you right at your athletic self.
Old 01 May 2015, 06:42 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Power reserve is just a watch, it shows the time, like a watch and so far Apple have over delivered on battery life, 1 day quoted, 2 days easily achieved. The workout mode you talk of has constant heart rate monitoring, turn it off and go back to once a minute, keep running for 48 hours if that's your bag.

I've stated nothing but facts as a user, you're just making stuff up trying to be the class clown.
You said it can be used for swimming.
It can't.
You spouted nonsense about battery life.

As a pretty, slightly interesting party piece, it's good. As a training aid, it's only for the light film of sweat brigade.
Old 01 May 2015, 08:06 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed Bio.
Jack; I'll tell you why mine is cheaper - the Ambit 3 came out but I wanted the hard-wired data transfer of the Ambit 2 as I find it more reliable.

I did a ten mile night race a month ago; proper trail running in rivers, over obstacles and all at night; the Apple watch would have died ten deaths. The Suunto was great. As an "athlete" (I was 11th out of 240 and had done naff all training due to a lengthy bout of illness) that Apple is trying to sell to, it's so badly flawed, it's hilarious. I also reckon a light knock would break it.

It's for posers that'll never step outside of an office or gym.
Telling everyone how "great" you are again...Oh please, not again!!
Old 01 May 2015, 08:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Telling everyone how "great" you are again...Oh please, not again!!
It's called emphasising a point. I'm fit and do well in various events; it lends more cred than just being some armchair warrior like you.
I've won a 3.5 mile running race, a big triathlon and a surf comp (the prize for which was amazing) plus many top 5 finishes in big races. I know it hurts you. I know it's upsetting. But it's PROOF that I'm not just another Internet try hard which I'm certain you and Jack are.

Sadly proving things and using those pesky things called facts upsets those who find themselves a little uncomfortable being faced with a real life achiever.

Yes, I am pushing the point but it's amusing. So there.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's called emphasising a point. I'm fit and do well in various events; it lends more cred than just being some armchair warrior like you.
I've won a 3.5 mile running race, a big triathlon and a surf comp (the prize for which was amazing) plus many top 5 finishes in big races. I know it hurts you. I know it's upsetting. But it's PROOF that I'm not just another Internet try hard which I'm certain you and Jack are.

Sadly proving things and using those pesky things called facts upsets those who find themselves a little uncomfortable being faced with a real life achiever.

Yes, I am pushing the point but it's amusing. So there.
There you go again, you just can't help yourself. The only thing it's emphasising is your overbearing narcissism
Old 01 May 2015, 09:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Good enough for me.

Under promise, over deliver. Quite likely the opposite of meeting you, if I could climb up onto that pedestal.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:46 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was that guy shaving his armpits? What a bender; the male Apple demographic.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Intelligent as ever.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, he looks like a proper athlete...
Old 01 May 2015, 11:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

He'll still need waterproof iphone , to tell where he's going

But then he won't need to cos he only showing off
Old 02 May 2015, 12:52 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yeah, he looks like a proper athlete...
Just realised your Ambit 2 doesn't have a heart rate monitor, what use is that to a real athlete? Yes you can wear a belt thing around your chest, but you could also hire a nurse to take your pulse every now and then. No wonder you're pissed off.
Old 02 May 2015, 04:42 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Just realised your Ambit 2 doesn't have a heart rate monitor, what use is that to a real athlete? Yes you can wear a belt thing arounmd your chest, but you could also hire a nurse to take your pulse every now and then. No wonder you're pissed off.
You're such a card Jack

Look , your watch doesn't have gps . Game over , go home !
Old 02 May 2015, 07:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just realised your Ambit 2 doesn't have a heart rate monitor, what use is that to a real athlete? Yes you can wear a belt thing around your chest, but you could also hire a nurse to take your pulse every now and then. No wonder you're pissed off.
Strange that because mine definitely has one and the software is clever enough to work out PTE, V02 max, recovery time and many more useful things. I then get a rather nifty trace of the route with all the info any athlete could ever need.
Mine's called that Ambit 2 HR; what do you think HR stands for?
Old 02 May 2015, 08:05 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back with avengeance.
Old 02 May 2015, 08:14 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

Back with avengeance.
Someone for you to hurl nasty insults at again...

Quick Reply: Apples Watch and stuff