Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Lollipop

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2015, 07:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Lollipop

Lollipop or Android V5, sh1te! should have stayed on Kitkat! that is all.
Old 10 February 2015, 07:29 PM
jaf2212
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some good additions but the look of it just isnt right
Old 10 February 2015, 08:27 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I don't mind the material look, its the worse battery life and changes to basic controls that annoys me oh and lag in certain situations compared to no lag at all in Kitkat. I know some apps are still playing catch up and need updating, but things like the picture gallery are noticeably slower.
Old 10 February 2015, 08:32 PM
jaf2212
Scooby Regular

Was trying to not notice the battery life!!

Lag is awful at times and I have very few apps on my phone just the important ones
Old 10 February 2015, 08:55 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

upgraded my nexus 7 tablet to lollipop over Christmas / New year, I dont have the same problems that many are referring to.

More pissed off at what they have done to Sygic - turned a great navigation application in to a bag of spanners.
Old 10 February 2015, 09:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Samsung devices are suffering, loads of moaning and whining posts online in the android forums. Apparently 5.0.2 fixes alot of issues, so its a waiting game again for it to be rolled out.
Old 10 February 2015, 09:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Wife didn't like lollipop interface, so I installed Nova launcher for her. Kitkat returned. I don't think I will upgrade to lollipop for a good while I use so many xposed features now that my phone works in ways I prefer.
Old 10 February 2015, 09:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yep i always use Nova, touchwiz is cack. But even so basic apps are noticeably slower under Lollipoop than under KK. One of the main "selling" points of Lollipoop was to improve battery life and to stop rogue apps from draining the battery, this simply is not the case, even after a factory reset. Idle time is ok, but its definitely worse when the screen is in use. I used to be able to get 2 days of uptime and about 3-4hrs screentime, that screentime has almost halved now.
Old 11 February 2015, 09:51 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Won't be updating my Note 4 when android 5 is released. At the moment it's flawless and so not risking it being degraded by an unnecessary update. Having seen the reports of what it did to Nexus 7's I won't be going near it for some time if at all.

One thing Samsung is not good at is being quick to resolve any issues with their Android builds. The S3 fiasco with 4.3 is a prime example so for me if your device is running perfectly well now then don't bother updating unless there is a specific need to.
Old 11 February 2015, 10:42 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I've got a Xperia Z3 Compact, Sony are always late the upgrade game so I think I'll wait until long after they release their update until I hear all the bugs have been sorted
Old 16 February 2015, 11:52 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have noticed lollipop has had a negative impact on my HTC one M8 and the notifications are a pain in the ***
Old 16 February 2015, 12:04 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Well you can customise what notifies you and what doesn't. By default all app notifications are allowed/turned on, they should have done it the other way round and set them all to off, then let you choose!
Old 16 February 2015, 12:32 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
I have noticed lollipop has had a negative impact on my HTC one M8 and the notifications are a pain in the ***
Agreed, was a right **** about to get the Sonos controller working properly through the lockscreen.

For some reason it also took a disliking to a certain message thread in my text message inbox, it lagged like mad when ever i opened it. Though now the thread and started it again, it seems to have sorted it,
Old 16 February 2015, 02:18 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

A partition cache wipe will help with some issues. And of course always make sure you do a factory reset, making sure you have a backup of all your critical data.
Old 16 February 2015, 02:22 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
Well you can customise what notifies you and what doesn't. By default all app notifications are allowed/turned on, they should have done it the other way round and set them all to off, then let you choose!
I'd think the notifications drive you mad from your clique when you post something and you get the same replies again and again and again and again..........
Old 16 February 2015, 02:27 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
I'd think the notifications drive you mad from your clique when you post something and you get the same replies again and again and again and again..........
Not really as anyone with a brain knows how to turn them off for a group temporarily
Old 17 February 2015, 08:04 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I was having one of the reported issues with lollipop and the gallery lag.
I followed these instruction and it seems a lot better now
http://www.itjungles.com/samsung-gal...partition.html

Richard
Old 17 February 2015, 10:31 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
I was having one of the reported issues with lollipop and the gallery lag.
I followed these instruction and it seems a lot better now
http://www.itjungles.com/samsung-gal...partition.html

Richard
Yes thats the partition cache wipe that i mentioned earlier...
Old 17 February 2015, 10:50 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My missus updated her Samsung S5 last week and it is virtually unusable now. The battery life if pretty much non-existent, wi-fi repeatedly cycles through connect/disconnect, the screen is hot to touch all the time, and the lag is unbelievable. We've tried wiping the cache and rebooting to no avail. She does not want to have to perform a factory reset or downgrade which seems to be the only real resolution. Hope there's a fix for Samsung devices soon ...
Old 17 February 2015, 10:59 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
My missus updated her Samsung S5 last week and it is virtually unusable now. The battery life if pretty much non-existent, wi-fi repeatedly cycles through connect/disconnect, the screen is hot to touch all the time, and the lag is unbelievable. We've tried wiping the cache and rebooting to no avail. She does not want to have to perform a factory reset or downgrade which seems to be the only real resolution. Hope there's a fix for Samsung devices soon ...
A FR is the fix unfortunately, its well documented for Verizon users in the states who have the same battery heat issues, it WILL make it alot better, or you can wait til 5.0.2 is rolled out, which could be months.

I'm with three and fortunately their firmware seems pretty stock, so im not suffering with a huge battery drain, actually its gotten alot better in recent days, almost back to how it was under kitkat.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:16 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with three and fortunately their firmware seems pretty stock, so im not suffering with a huge battery drain, actually its gotten alot better in recent days, almost back to how it was under kitkat.
Interesting as the wife is with Three also, yet she has seen no further improvement.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:34 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
Interesting as the wife is with Three also, yet she has seen no further improvement.
Seen this happen as well to some Verizon users where they were ok and others were not, a FR always seems to be the solution in most cases, again some reporting it didn't help, but the majority saying it made a big difference from what i have read on forums.

A FR doesnt take long to do, backup all critical data to a PC with Kies3, the rest/apps/contacts will restore from google if you have an a/c with them and sync. Then its just a case of setting up your homescreen(s)/icons again. Or if you use Nova launcher you can restore all of that from a backup.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:48 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

The one thing that p!sses me off about a factory reset is app data isn't backed up and only way to do so is by rooting and using something like Titanium Backup. I have no desire to root my phone nor lose my app data (game saves etc) and so lollipop will be simply a no go for me.
Old 17 February 2015, 12:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Helium backup does that, used it loads of times to restore app and game settings. No need to root.
Old 17 February 2015, 01:30 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Yeah heard about that haven't tried it yet, got the app on my phone but not the desktop client installed yet. Need to test it before trusting it!
Old 17 February 2015, 01:38 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offence but I'm just sat here with my new iPhone 6 plus feeling smug because there I was almost buying the Nexus 6.
Old 17 February 2015, 02:19 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
No offence but I'm just sat here with my new iPhone 6 plus feeling smug because there I was almost buying the Nexus 6.
2 wrongs don't make a right
Old 17 February 2015, 02:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Weeded out at the last minute
Old 17 February 2015, 02:23 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
None taken alot of apple users had a hell of time upgrading from ios7 to ios8 as well. At least the basic phone still works i.e. being able to make calls and texts

Last edited by bioforger; 17 February 2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 17 February 2015, 02:55 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

None taken alot of apple users had a hell of time upgrading from ios7 to ios8 as well. At least the basic phone still works i.e. being able to make calls and texts
You should have got an iPhone, it's the intelligent choice.

Quick Reply: Lollipop