Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Cleaning interior of a car just out of bodyshop

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2007, 05:46 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning interior of a car just out of bodyshop

Hi guys, have just had a car come out of the bodyshop and it is absolutely dusted up from inside. The seats dont look too bad but when i sat in the car with a white top on, it was all dusted with grey dirt. The dash also is all dusty with what I believe is powedered filler etc.

Any help guys as to what I should do in such a situation. This is going to be a perfect project to get my toys out and this time im going to take photos too
Old 29 December 2007, 06:21 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it back to the bodyshop and get them to sort it - why should you have to clean up after them?
Old 29 December 2007, 06:39 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Take it back to the bodyshop and get them to sort it - why should you have to clean up after them?
Hmm, Ive never really seen a car come out of bodyshop with a clean interior unless it was an insurance repair. Bare in mind this was a private repair and whilst the job was done top notch the interior is very dusty. Plus for the job I paid peanuts so I guess you dont get everything.

Also since im into my car detailing i wont mind doing it myself as ill get the result im after, its just that im not sure what to do with such a dusty dash mainly. Do I dust it off first? Do I attempt to vacume it first? i.e. what first steps shall I do. Regarding the seats and carpets ill be ok with them, its more the dash and door cards im concerned about.

Btw Brun are you also a member of Cleanyourcar?
Old 29 December 2007, 08:02 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

I would advise getting them to do it as well. Should be returned to you as before..
Tim
Old 29 December 2007, 09:12 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Bomford
I would advise getting them to do it as well. Should be returned to you as before..
Tim
The car was purchased damaged so I cant ask for that otherwise ill get a damaged car back lol
Old 29 December 2007, 09:38 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

^Ah keep it well shut then
Hoover all you can access 1st then go from there with a plastic wash solution and a small brush (like you'd apply shoe polish with) and work it into the surfaces of the plastic. Wipe off with clean dry towel then if the end results are OK use some sort of protection spray. Try to avoid silicone for obvious reasons.

Tim
Old 29 December 2007, 09:42 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Bomford
^Ah keep it well shut then
Hoover all you can access 1st then go from there with a plastic wash solution and a small brush (like you'd apply shoe polish with) and work it into the surfaces of the plastic. Wipe off with clean dry towel then if the end results are OK use some sort of protection spray. Try to avoid silicone for obvious reasons.

Tim
Yeh this is what I had in mind but was thinking of how to get to the small seams etc in areas such as the stereo and window electrics without causing any damage
Old 10 January 2008, 04:46 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

I'd agree with everything Tim has said; in addition, to get into smaller nooks and crannies a selection of small brushes is useful. The Megs Slide Lock Detail Brush and Triple Duty Detail Brush are useful in this respect, and the brush attachments for most hoovers are also ideal for this type of task too. Another option is to use a fine nozzle on a compressed air gun, but clearly not everyone has this type of gear to hand.
Old 10 January 2008, 06:03 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich, thanks for the PMs matey, really do appreciate it.

Since I was running out of time, I took on board what Tim said as well as inventing a few tricks of my own. Since the carpet and seats were also in need of some care and attention i ended up spending good 3 days on the car. Bare in mind the car was worked on in two parts and in between time was given to seats to dry also. Since I couldnt reach rear window shelf with the George I decided to pull the back seat out totally which would make it easier to clean the rear seats themselves.

Likewise pulled them out and to start with, dry hoovered the whole car. Good thing i removed the rear seat as there was lots of dust and all sorts underneath. Once done I made a foamy mixture consisting of a upolstory cleaner that come with my george and a few other bits n bobs lol. Sponged the area I was working on. Then using a medium brissled brush I worked into the area. Once done, Id use the george to take as mush rubbish out as possible. I repeated this on every single part of the interior except the electrical areas where I didnt soak the place but just give a mild wipe/scrub/wipe.

Once the seats were drying however I worked on the dash and carpet. In the end the car looked immacualte from inside yet it had even been finished. Just need to collect some PB's Natural Look Dressing on weekend.

So interior is done, just need to wait for rain to stop so I can wash the old mucker
Old 10 January 2008, 08:21 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Excellent, glad you managed to get on top of it so to speak!
Good points by Rich, forgot to say the Megs 3in1 brushes are great (but way over priced in Halfords!) and also the Zymol detail brush is good but buy it from the US and save a packet (can say that now PB's made the announcement eh)

Tim
Old 11 January 2008, 08:54 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Lol, aye! Good news on the interior, sounds like a very thorough job, nice one. It's sometimes nice to go to town and take seats out, etc, just so that you know it's all spotless... even in the places you can't see!
Old 11 January 2008, 11:18 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Lol, aye! Good news on the interior, sounds like a very thorough job, nice one. It's sometimes nice to go to town and take seats out, etc, just so that you know it's all spotless... even in the places you can't see!

Yup defo, and Tim thanks for the tips matey. They were defo useful.

I do have some pics but sadly its been very murky up north and pics arent doing the interior any justice but I shall upload them all together once Ive worked on the exterior. Its going to be one of those PB writeups with lots of details . Sadly not as many products will be used as i dont have too many. But will make use of what i do have

Need to collect my natural look dressing tomorrow morning from Tim at Cleanyourcar as hes just around the corner and i dont need ot pay delivery charges . As well as that going to collect my megs Wheel brightner off him.

Hey guys two questions, one of the wings has some oil/greasy hand stains most likely from a mechanic. Is there any way to remove that without having to polish over?

Secondly ive had this following discussion regarding a machine polisher in Detailing World too but didnt manage to catch Richs attention there.

Likewise Rich, the Megs G220 comes in kits at times. What would you recommend? Sonus, Menzerna or Megs. Alternatively would you recommend another polisher over the G220.

Thanks guys
Old 11 January 2008, 08:40 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kilo_4que

Hey guys two questions, one of the wings has some oil/greasy hand stains most likely from a mechanic. Is there any way to remove that without having to polish over?
May I suggest whilst your at CYC see if Tim has any Megs Last touch and get him to spritz the area and wipe with an MF. It should shift it for you. If not then use some cleaner fluid like Swissvax, HDCleanse or Dodo Lime prime to name a few!

Best wishes

Tim