Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Spec C polishing, paint depth?!

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2018, 11:11 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec C polishing, paint depth?!

Hi guys
looking to correct some swirling with my DA polisher but I'm hesitant on what pad to use due to how incredibly thin the clear and paint is on spec c models (80 microns in some cases!)
I'm going to just do 1 stage with M205 to limit time on the paint but what pad? Is an orange cutting going to be too harsh even with the finishing compound?
Old 19 January 2018, 03:36 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My go to on something with relatively soft paint and low paint depths would be Chemical Guys Hex Logic Green.

Enough to have a little cut and remove light imperfections but also restore gloss and clarity.

You'd be perfectly safe with a DA and M205.
Old 19 January 2018, 03:44 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
My go to on something with relatively soft paint and low paint depths would be Chemical Guys Hex Logic Green.

Enough to have a little cut and remove light imperfections but also restore gloss and clarity.

You'd be perfectly safe with a DA and M205.
Green funnily enough is the only pad I've not used out of the hex logics but I think you could be right. I will get a few of the new quantum pads, big improvement over the already good originals if you've not tried them
im used to super hard Mercedes paint so I'm a little hesitant taking this on don't want to be too heavy handed and rip through too much clear
Old 19 January 2018, 05:20 PM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this mean the paint layer is thinner on Spec-C models than on regular STI's? I never knew that
Old 19 January 2018, 06:46 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan1
Does this mean the paint layer is thinner on Spec-C models than on regular STI's? I never knew that
Yes significantly thinner, weightsaving!
Old 19 January 2018, 08:42 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It could be worth signing up on Detailing World, and asking if any members local to your location has a PDG paint depth gauge, DW also did a printable sheet for recording your readings on(like you get for damage on hire cars) so you can keep a eye on what you are taking off,
it will also tell you if there has been any panel repairs that you may not be aware of, differing readings would point to some kind repair.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:56 AM
rockabilly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was base coat and laquer? so really its the laquer your attempting to clean..
Old 20 January 2018, 09:15 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
It could be worth signing up on Detailing World, and asking if any members local to your location has a PDG paint depth gauge, DW also did a printable sheet for recording your readings on(like you get for damage on hire cars) so you can keep a eye on what you are taking off,
it will also tell you if there has been any panel repairs that you may not be aware of, differing readings would point to some kind repair.
Will do thanks
Old 23 January 2018, 02:29 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

If I only had 80 microns of paint on my car there is no way under the sun I would be trying to correct it with m205. You need to get a paint debth guage and measure acurately the paint debth for starters, howevere you need to know the debth of clear you have to work on. So measure on the B pillar on the inside of the door as there is less clear here. If you measure under the bonnet there is no clear at all so this will give you a good idea of what you really have to work with.

I think if you have about 80 microns of paint left and you try to compound it you will make a bad situation worse. Just live with the swirls, put on something like collinite which has a lot of fillers.
Old 23 January 2018, 02:36 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Remember once you have polished your clearcoat away thats it, its gone and you're going to need a repaint. Better safe than sorry and be cautious.
Old 26 January 2018, 11:06 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

@NotFromSomerset how did you get on, did you polish the paint or leave it?

Here is a blog post explaining types of polish that might be useful for you - http://www.nidetailing.co.uk/the-best-polish/
Old 29 January 2018, 01:14 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barrybudden
@NotFromSomerset how did you get on, did you polish the paint or leave it?

Here is a blog post explaining types of polish that might be useful for you - http://www.nidetailing.co.uk/the-best-polish/
Waiting for a couple of days off and some clear weather. Confident the 205 and green pad should get the job done with my DA
Old 30 January 2018, 02:36 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

I would be very careful especially on edges if you only have 80 microns of paint. Pop over to detailingworld and see if there is anyone in your area that would lend you a paint thickness guage or measure your paint thickness for you so at least you will know if there are any areas you need to be REALLY careful around.
Old 27 April 2018, 10:24 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Just used a green hex pad and Merenza 3500 on my hatch spec C. I did one session only, it left some swirls, put Collinite over top. The paint is super thin, and chips very easily.