Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Are there any 'beginner' car detailers in Essex?

Old 10 July 2017, 11:45 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any 'beginner' car detailers in Essex?

Hi all,

I've had a good go at getting rid of all the swirl marks and contamination on my Impreza and its come along way BUT i am no expert.

Ideally I would like some one who knows what they are doing to properly bring her back to glory and from then on I can take care when washing / polishing as i understand the basics.

But when searching for detailer's in Essex i just seem to find large or professional companies whose clientele seem to be people with 458's or 911's and the prices seem to be in-tune with this. I.e £500>

I don't need an amazing job nor have i got £200k vehicle with associated paintwork to care for.

I'm just looking for someone starting out or does it more as a hobby as I am guessing they would rather start working on Subaru's than Ferrari's.

I'm not trying to knock the trade or undercut anyone as I think its a great skill and a profession that is deserved of the price tag, but for me I am thinking there must be another option!

Thanks!
Old 10 July 2017, 12:00 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Cough,Cough, Detailing world lol lol
Old 10 July 2017, 01:19 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

I had thought of posting on there but not sure if they would take lightly to someone asking for a 'sideline' cheap detail but I shal ask!

Thanks
Old 13 July 2017, 08:52 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your budget?
Old 14 July 2017, 11:49 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Definitely not enough in the detailing world as I only wanted to be spending up to £150 really.
Old 15 July 2017, 09:45 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be much better off with saving some more money and getting it done professionally.

The problem with a relative novice (Which in reality that's all you'll get with your current budget) is that 1. They'll not be insured. 2. Chances are they'll be unskilled and unfamiliar with both the car and the process of paint correction. Do they have a paint depth gauge? Do they know how much clearcoat they're removing whilst correcting the paintwork? If they do strike through or damage the vehicle there's no insurance company to back them up.

My favourite sayings are....."You pay peanuts you get monkeys" and "Skilled labour isn't cheap and cheap labour isn't skilled"
Old 04 September 2017, 12:11 AM
iamneallyons
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
You'd be much better off with saving some more money and getting it done professionally.

The problem with a relative novice (Which in reality that's all you'll get with your current budget) is that 1. They'll not be insured. 2. Chances are they'll be unskilled and unfamiliar with both the car and the process of paint correction. Do they have a paint depth gauge? Do they know how much clearcoat they're removing whilst correcting the paintwork? If they do strike through or damage the vehicle there's no insurance company to back them up.

My favourite sayings are....."You pay peanuts you get monkeys" and "Skilled labour isn't cheap and cheap labour isn't skilled"
THIS - The detailers arent charging the ferrari owners 500 quid because they own a ferrari they are charging them that because it takes the same amount of time if its a ferrari or a mondeo to go over all the paintwork and through the processes etc, each car is different and will need different levels of paint correction.
Old 28 September 2017, 09:56 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Detailing World has a listing of supporters some of whome are not professionals. Have a look in their regional section and ask there. I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out for a return favour.

Search this Thread